Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

A racecar drivers opinion of the Fit (base).

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM
A racecar drivers opinion of the Fit (base).

First, a little background on me. My name is Alejandro and I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas in Arlington. I joined a club at UTA called Formula SAE. Its a club that builds a racecar completely out of scratch every year, and then we take it to Detroit and compete against schools from all over the world. Anyway, the way the drivers are usually chosen is we put them in a very old car, and see how they perform. The year I finally was able to drive, we had a tight schedule so instead of training us they just threw us in one of the newer cars to see who was the fastest. I happened to be one of the few who made the cut. That year, we blew the engine we had at competition so I was unable to drive. This year, I got invited to go to the SCCA Nationals, and I was able to get 4th overall in my class. Before I drove UTA's cars I used to autocross my Jetta quite a bit. It had basic suspension and performance bolt-ons, and I think that car handled quite well. Anyway, that is the reason why I call myself a racecar driver. If you disagree, thats cool, I dont care. On to the review:

Ergonomics:
The seating position is one of an economy car. You sit very upright. This allows for easy ingress and egress. Its not exactly sporty but it works pretty well in the Fit. Especially if you consider that the Fit is just a commuter car, and not a racecar.

One of the downsides to this seating position is that your butt and your feet are on a completely different level. Its almost like youre sitting at a dinner table. It feels awkward, but I cant say that it is bad for the driver. I was surprised by the seats though. I was expecting them to have little bolsters that are spaced far apart to accomodate larger drivers (like my jetta). However, I was pleasently surprised to find that the bolsters are spaced perfectly for me so that when you move from side to side, you dont travel very far before the other bolster catches you. Only real downside I see is that the weight of the driver is pretty high, so your CG goes up, but by how much, I cant say. The shifter is a good distance from the steering wheel. A good benchmark for me is if you can touch the shifter with the pinky of your right hand, and the steering wheel with your thumb from the same hand, then the shifter is not too far. Also, the light/wiper stalks are a perfect distance from the steering wheel. Even if you put the high beams on, you can still turn on your blinkers without really taking your hand off the wheel. I think one could really benefit from putting an aftermarket seat in there.

Overall, the ergo in the Fit is excellent. It is a very good compromise in my opinion.

Handling:
The Fit is quite competent stock. I feel that the stiffness of the springs and the damping is almost perfect. It never floats, but it soaks up bumps perfectly. During hard turns, it leans, but not excessively. I also imagine that the effect is amplified since the driver is up so high. I imagine that with the sport wheels the car feels much better. During steady state turns, the Fit doesnt feel as planted as my modified Jetta. I think it is partly because the layout of the car. The mass is all very close together (engine, driver, gas tank are all relatively close to each other) and when you throw in that quick ratio steering rack, it gives the Fit a very agile (somewhat jittery) feel. While the Jetta performs quite well, even if it doesnt feel like it. At the limit, the Fit understeers predictably. I tried to make it oversteer by "flicking it" but the car just understeered slightly while tightening its line. Very good.

I also attempted the emergency lane change maneuver on a secluded road. I was going about 45 miles per hour and I flicked the wheel to the left. The Fit quickly reacts and gets into the next lane incredibly fast. Although the stock tires made it feel somewhat reluctant, it still performed quite admirably.

The most amazing thing is how accurately you can drive the Fit. You can put the front wheels EXACTLY where you want them. That to me is just amazing.

My only real gripe is that there is considerable dive when you hit the brakes hard.

I think that putting sport wheels (or similar) on would be a VERY good place to start if youre the owner of a base Fit. That is my first planned modification as soon as these tires are gone.

Engine:
Again, when you get down to it, the Fit is just an economy car. And when you take that into consideration, I think that the Fit has an excellent engine. Its not exactly a performance engine, but I find that its a good balance between comfort, performance, and economy. The engine gets very peppy after around 4000 RPMS and it seems very willing. Passing on the highway is good. I found no need to downshift. Also, I managed to squeeze 40 mpg just by going the speed limit on the highway. Sometimes I noticed a slight delay if I were to floor it while in a higher gear. Like fourth gear going 45mph, for example.

However, some things bother me quite a bit if Im pushing the Fit hard. The main thing is the DTW. The way the computer opens the throttle feels really unlinear. For example, I give the car 1/4 throttle input, but the computer opens the throttle 3/4 of the way. This is great when youre just putt-ing around, because it makes the car feel powerful. However, when I ease on to the throttle, i get most of the response in the beginning, and the rest feels like unecessecary travel. Similarly, when letting go of the pedal when its full throttle, the car continues to pull quite hard if you dont let go of the throttle fast enough. If youre not used to it, it can be annoying. You almost have to let go of the throttle all the way really quick if you want the car to stop accelerating.

Thats the main complaint. The good thing about the car is if you start driving hard, and continue to drive hard, the car is very responsive. Its just temporarily unhappy if you go from normal driving to aggressive driving. You kinda gotta get it in the mood.

Braking:
Well, not much to say here. The brakes are good and the car stops pretty quick. ABS is good too. Only complaints are the brake pedal is WAY too sensitive. It makes it very hard for me to heel toe. And also there is too much dive for me.

OVERALL:
The Fit is not a sports car. So you cant really compare it to a sports car. However, the Fit does have EXCELLENT handling and braking for an economy car. The engine is a little anemic but more than adequate for street use. Overall, I think this car is extremely fun for what it is.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Seems to echo a consolidation of a series of threads. Only thing I would dispute is that I was quite impressed with the brakes. I have had to stop quick on corners in the rain and it held a great line. I have had to spike the brakes on straight dry pavement, and was very surprised to stop on a dime. I think you described the DBW very well. From the line with a little pedal seems to jump like it is floored. This is a false sense of power. If you punch it, seems to be almost no difference. I would prefer a traditional throttle control. I will disagree with you on the ergonomics on the fit. You are at a slight recline (seat angle) in the fit. I would estimate it at about 10 degrees or less. As a physical therapist, this would be only slightly less than the recommended angle. This angle prevents occlusion of venous flow from the legs (much more comfortable for long trips) even for the shorter drivers. It does need a dead pedal and a drivers side arm rest (both topics have been beat to death). Of course it is impossible to please everyone when you dont have a 6 way seat, but the only complaint I have is the cleanability.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
For the base fit, the first mod should be new tires and wheels.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
For the base fit, the first mod should be new tires and wheels.
I disagree.

When i think of "Modding", i think of cars that should be modded. not cars that "ooo! i got this car, i wanna treat it like a ferrari even though its a 1994 Civic Sedan!"

I think cars that were meant to be modded, should be modded. Cars that are meant for economics, should stay economical.

While the Honda Fit is a very awesome and practical car. it is an economic car. It has a 30/40 MPG, 100HP, and overall just not enough to take to the track.

Now... if you want the fit to be a "Moddable car" (which i plan to do) this is the list:

First thing you absolutely must do, and cannot get around. Engine. Get rid of that 1.5 Economic engine. Modding an economic engine is like giving your grandma steroids and telling her to bench press. The K20A Engine is a beautiful one. For this car it is a must if you want to mod, otherwise all you are going to have is an econo-box with flashy rims.

Second thing is Suspension, Brakes, Tires. The stock set up is pretty nice, but with the new engine (100+ HP) you will want to change a few things around. I hate kids who put 5,000 dollars into their horsepower and 0 into their braking/handeling power. If you have a monster, you must control it.

Third thing that really doesn't need to be done to this car is Weight Reduction. You have a 5 Door, you already know that it'll be alittle heavy. You have comfortable seats, you already knew when you bought the car that you would be carrying a number of people. So don't go striping out your car, leaving only one seat. the weight savings that you gain is not worth the impractical and uncomfortable modification. Light-weight battery, carbon fiber products, light-weight wheels/tires, and going on the tred-mil will help you in this section without making your friends saying "why did you do that!?"

That is my "Step-By-Step" guide on how one should mod a Fit, hell, for any car. Just know what your cars weaknesses and strengths before you start modding. Make your weaknesses your strengths, and your strengths even stronger.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
I guess some people mod their car just to mod it and some people have specific goals. My car isn't going to have any engine mods for power. I want to keep the economy of the car since it is my daily driver and my first step is to get either some new tires or light weight 15" rims and tires. My second step is to lower it comfortably with most likely the Eibach Pro-Kit. The last thing is to get a nice sounding muffler, but that's not that important. WEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Mr. Brown your in the wrong place to be telling everyone that the Fit shouldn't be modded and that the engine is all wrong and needs to be replaced. If you are so inclined just go from the start and buy a Civic and you won't have to do a swap. A lot of people like myself enjoy modding any car they own strictly for the FUN of working on the car not just with tracking it.

People have many differing opinions about what modding is and what the goals are for your mods. So what if it "It has a 30/40 MPG, 100HP, and overall just not enough to take to the track" for some people on limited budgets just changing the exhaust tip is a mod they enjoy. If everyone had money to burn some would not have bought the Fit in the first place. So they do what THEY enjoy and have the money to spare for to their cars and if their mods are not up to your standard cut us some slack and do what you want with your Fit and be sure to send us some photos of your K-20 installation.

And after he is done installing his K20 with 100 more horsepower, I want him to figure out his horsepower/dollar ratio because the money involved in a K20 swap is $10,000+. So in my eyes $10,000+ to get 100 hp is DUMB

Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
especially since AJ-R finished just barely behind the K20 fit in the super street challenge with a stock motor! I say some great suspension mods are all that is really needed.... If you really want the power.....JRSC!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Not to mention what putting a heavier engine in the front will do to the great handling of the car. I don't think it would feel as balanced.

I feel very strongly that the L15 has potential....just wait until some parts like rods/pistons become available. THen you can put the JR charger, and 'change pulleys' without having to worry. This would my preference to shoe-horning something that was never meant to go between the shock towers, and I'll bet it would be about the same or less $$. Just look at what folks can do with the d-series...it will never get the glamour of a B or K, but personally, I'm all about the 'little engine that could' especially in the form factor the fit gives.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM
in regards to Mr. Browns quote of "I think cars that were meant to be modded, should be modded. Cars that are meant for economics, should stay economical."......have you seen AJ-R's Fit? Spoon Sports Fit? i know for a fact the Spoon Fit kept the L15 motor added a high flow filter and an exhaust....nothing more really for power.

umm last i checked these are all pretty well known race companies that im sure wouldnt waste time and money on something that was pointless or didnt have any potential to begin with. they saw something in the lil Fit and if you ask me these are some good examples of modded economy cars that do in fact go quite fast and handle amazing.

why is it so wrong in your eyes to mod an economy car?

and by the way Mexellent....good write up....pretty much sums it up.....

Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to see what would happen if someone raced a Fit in the import drag racing series. I'm talking an all out race car, not a street/strip car. I think those cars are allowed 2 "power adders", which could be a turbo and nitrous, or a turbo and alky, etc. I'd bet that even with the stock type motor that the car could run in the 11's or maybe the 10's at close to 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Be interesting to see just how much HP that little motor could make.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
OK after reading this about modding a FIT and using it for performance driving.

My Plan:

Buy a Honda Civic Si sedan

Tear off the civic body and put the FIT body on top of it. Patch the gaps and cut off the ends that stick out.

I'm done.

My version of the FIT Si.

Modding any car is up to the owner. Don't forget to have fun doing it.

I think I read an article that said up to 70% of owners mod their cars to make them unique. Sometimes it's just for looks and not performance.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:43 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member

i recently just did my first autox...when we were timed i was a few seconds slower than the big boys 350Z, WRX, and EVO...i am on a TIGHT budget, but if my credit was better i would be in a Si civic...to me i will not waste my time and $$$ to put a K20 in an Fit...if you want to go that route thats cool, but for some like me i am happy with the L15 and the power...it is cheaper to buy a used 240sx and drop a SR20DET nowadays, but whatever i enjoy the car and dont tell anyone here HOW they should hook up a B-segment vehicle...oh this a site for us to share our mods and enjoy one anothers accomplishments on their rides...whats up for the next mods????

Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't mean to make you all mad, just my opinion. But i agree with you on Weight. the K20 would add a noticeable amount. After thinking it over i think a better candidate for this car would be the B16B. It would be light weight, high revving engine. Perfect for this car.

When you say "Spoon made a great car!" Thats because they were smart and didn't worry about the engine. They added some parts to let it breath better, and then after that... STRICTLY weight reduction and suspension. The car is already light as hell. Making it even lighter, even with 100 HP will make your Power/Weight Ratio sky-rocket.

Would a K20 make this car better? Only in straight lines. The added weight to this vehicle would almost make it unable to drive.

Would a B16 do the job? Heck yeah! I think this would be a unique project! It's not that much bigger/heavier than the stock motor, it's a high revving motor that would sound sweet on this car, and their readily available and tunable.

Even if i move back to Virginia, I don't think i'd have problems with Emissions. All you have to do is know the right people.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:48 PM
yeah comparing the B16/B18 to a K20.....b series are heavier if not the same weight....last i checked the K20 revved pretty high as well....there plenty of power parts for the k20 too.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow - someone did some great driving in that pic of yours - almost batting 100% in hitting the cones

Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
I think they are just pointing which way to go (not sure if you were being sarcastic or not). lol

Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Wink

Yes, I was kidding. Awfully hard to tell which side of the next pylon to be on if there aren't other markers.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slowuphill
Wow - someone did some great driving in that pic of yours - almost batting 100% in hitting the cones
i try my best to mess up my OEM body kit by hitting all the cones

Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelBrown
I disagree.

When i think of "Modding", i think of cars that should be modded. not cars that "ooo! i got this car, i wanna treat it like a ferrari even though its a 1994 Civic Sedan!"

I think cars that were meant to be modded, should be modded. Cars that are meant for economics, should stay economical.

While the Honda Fit is a very awesome and practical car. it is an economic car. It has a 30/40 MPG, 100HP, and overall just not enough to take to the track.

Now... if you want the fit to be a "Moddable car" (which i plan to do) this is the list:

First thing you absolutely must do, and cannot get around. Engine. Get rid of that 1.5 Economic engine. Modding an economic engine is like giving your grandma steroids and telling her to bench press. The K20A Engine is a beautiful one. For this car it is a must if you want to mod, otherwise all you are going to have is an econo-box with flashy rims.

Second thing is Suspension, Brakes, Tires. The stock set up is pretty nice, but with the new engine (100+ HP) you will want to change a few things around. I hate kids who put 5,000 dollars into their horsepower and 0 into their braking/handeling power. If you have a monster, you must control it.

Third thing that really doesn't need to be done to this car is Weight Reduction. You have a 5 Door, you already know that it'll be alittle heavy. You have comfortable seats, you already knew when you bought the car that you would be carrying a number of people. So don't go striping out your car, leaving only one seat. the weight savings that you gain is not worth the impractical and uncomfortable modification. Light-weight battery, carbon fiber products, light-weight wheels/tires, and going on the tred-mil will help you in this section without making your friends saying "why did you do that!?"

That is my "Step-By-Step" guide on how one should mod a Fit, hell, for any car. Just know what your cars weaknesses and strengths before you start modding. Make your weaknesses your strengths, and your strengths even stronger.

Uhhh ya...what ever makes you happy buddy...

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
why don't you just strip it, put some wider wheels and lower it, a few things to the engine and with it being stipped .. iam sure you can do some nice racing.. ask AJ..

Quick Reply: A racecar drivers opinion of the Fit (base).