buying a fit, how to haggle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by kev01
hey guys, here goes my first post here,

a friend of mine was at honda mississauga today, swung by there cause i told him i was interested in the honda fit sport AT

well, from what the dealer told him, he said that he only had a black and a red manual sport, priced for about ~35 000 with only a couple of the options.

now, i told him that's ridiculous, and the honda fit shouldnt be marked THAT much up, at that price, might as well get a fully loaded civic or a light accord right?

anyway, just wondering what sort of quote's you guys are getting for the honda fit, would appreciate the response...

plus would also appreciate any tips and such, this is gonna be my first car buy (i'm 21)

cheers everyone!
hey gang, so i just got back from the dealership

just to clarify, it was my friend's mistake, he misunderstood me and wasing asking about a Civic Si (hence the 35K) price above... so just scratch my first post lol

Anyway, here was my experience:

i've only driven a nissan pathfinder, benz-e320, and an old mazda 626, so that's what i've got to compare to

so here it goes, I test drove an LX Fit Auto, seemed loaded with all the options

- comfort, interior, are top notch! everything i've read about roomyness, interior build quality, head room, etc etc is true
- surprisingly smooth ride, i also test drove the new civic models today too and very similar ride quality (aside: that stuff about the A-pillar reducing visibility in a civic is really true)
- lots of headroom, made my nissan pathfinder interior feel even smaller
- steering felt strong and sturdy, i guess i noticed it as a big diff since i've been driving my crappy mazda 626
- braking is great, the ABS makes it super smooth, dealer dude said there was electronically controlled brake assist too i think?
- the foot pedal response is very.... i guess you'd call it linear? i wasn't necessarily pushing the car, but definetly very smooth at cruising speeds
- very surpised at the safety ratings and the side curtain standard

well that's about it, that was my first test drive ever, my descriptions probably suck ass lol

anyway, pricing: quoted me exactly for the MSRPs on the website, and i got accessories thrown in with some discount off the MSRP

nothing is finalized right now, i was just shopping around

but i think i'm seriously gonna consider this car

lol can't decide Black or Blue tho

Old 04-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Dealers will not be able to order the FIT as they do other cars. They have to submit to Honda what they have sold and THEN Honda will forward them cars to fill those orders. This is to keep dealerships that have sold lots of them happy (and more importantly happy customers) and dealers that don't have strong demand don't end up with a horde of cars they can't sell (it happens!). The idea is to send cars where demand warrants the supply. It makes total sense. There won't be any deals on this car...there's the smallest of profits in them (in the hundreds $$) which makes it frustrating for dealers. This will be a volume car, not a profit vehicle like others in the lineup. The FIT imo is a better car than the last gen Civic - hands down. I'm happy to pay retail as I'm getting more car for less money than the last Civic! I just can't wait to get mine!!!!!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by vader
Dealers will not be able to order the FIT as they do other cars. They have to submit to Honda what they have sold and THEN Honda will forward them cars to fill those orders. This is to keep dealerships that have sold lots of them happy (and more importantly happy customers) and dealers that don't have strong demand don't end up with a horde of cars they can't sell (it happens!). The idea is to send cars where demand warrants the supply. It makes total sense. There won't be any deals on this car...there's the smallest of profits in them (in the hundreds $$) which makes it frustrating for dealers. This will be a volume car, not a profit vehicle like others in the lineup. The FIT imo is a better car than the last gen Civic - hands down. I'm happy to pay retail as I'm getting more car for less money than the last Civic! I just can't wait to get mine!!!!!

Bingo! Bada-boom-bada-ding