Looking for test vehicle for throttle controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hi everyone sorry for the late response. As planned, the Blitz throttle controller was test fitted in my car this morning.

As for installation: This throttle controller is straight up plug and play. you just take out a plug from above the gas pedal, just some inches further out of reach compared to the OBD II scanner port; then plug in the throttle controller unit between the plug you removed and the gas pedal unit. It's so easy i will give it a difficulty rating of 0 out of 10. if you're blind then it is 1 out of 10.

Sadly, i did not get to keep the throttle controller in my car because Blitz still needed their test unit for certain reasons, which is the only one in the US i believe. I wish i still had it in my car or had more time to test it out because then i could give a more complete review, but from the testing that we did with it, i will say the throttle controller is a BIG PLUS. I only got to test it out for 15-20 minutes on a mix of local and freeway driving with the Blitz representative in the passenger seat. The testing seemed to be more of whether or not the throttle controller was functioning properly in the USDM fit. He was switching between the different settings and we were observing the differences with my foot constant on the gas pedal. I can tell you this, the throttle controller makes the car feel like a different car. it makes the gas pedal much more sensitive in the SP1, SP2, and SP3 settings and makes the gas pedal feel a lot less "spongy." just a little pressure on the pedal leads to a lot of throttle, so it makes the car feel a lot more eager to take off and powerful. as for the lag in throttle response, i can't say whether or not it was diminished. this is because i simply did not get a chance to test it out. i had thought that i was going to have a chance to test it out on my own but after the test drive, i found out that the controller would not stay with me. additionally there was traffic on freeway at the time of testing so i only got to open up in the Fit for a tiny bit, and the local streets were no place to do so either. i know my review kind of sucks. oh yeah, no CEL at least in the span of our testing, and you can toggle the throttle controller's settings between ECO, SP1, SP2, and SP3 while you're on the gas.

A weird thing i noticed about ECO mode on the test unit was that with ECO mode on, the throttle was opened larger than with the throttle controller OFF. It struck me as strange because i thought ECO mode would make the throttle even "spongier" than stock, so that we could save more fuel. I would have experimented with this more but did not have the chance to do so.

If you guys are looking to change the fit's acceleration attitude and make the gas pedal a lot more aggressive, this is definitely the way to go. I was very pleased by the throttle controller and i am planning to get one myself. if i could put it into one statement, i would say that the throttle controller has the ability to make the fit a sprightly little car that is eager to take off once you get on the gas. Blitz is a reputable company and their products are top-notch, and i'm confident that this product will live up to the company's name. I will keep you guys posted on any new information/developments in case we do get a chance to do some further testing.

Mike

Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
I am hoping this works with the AT KWSC....

Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
it works with automatic and manual

Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
so when is the release date

Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
too bad i'm in canada

Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
How much is this going to cost approximately?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
x2 this sounds interesting

Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Finally they are bringing this item to the US. I can't wait for it to hit the market.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM
i believe we should have some in august i am going to set a GB. For everyone up here. Either they can pick it up from their local deal or myself. I think the msrp will be approx 420 but thats not confirmed yet i will keep everyone informed. And hopefully do further test with the Fit. *note blitz does not sell directly to public. I also do accept paypal. If your local in socal you can pick up it from me. Once i get confirmed for pricing i will start selling it.
Mike

Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blitzusa
i believe we should have some in august i am going to set a GB. For everyone up here. Either they can pick it up from their local deal or myself. I think the msrp will be approx 420 but thats not confirmed yet i will keep everyone informed. And hopefully do further test with the Fit. *note blitz does not sell directly to public. I also do accept paypal. If your local in socal you can pick up it from me. Once i get confirmed for pricing i will start selling it.
Mike
That's great news. I might be picking one up.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by doctordoom
hi everyone sorry for the late response. As planned, the Blitz throttle controller was test fitted in my car this morning.

As for installation: This throttle controller is straight up plug and play. you just take out a plug from above the gas pedal, just some inches further out of reach compared to the OBD II scanner port; then plug in the throttle controller unit between the plug you removed and the gas pedal unit. It's so easy i will give it a difficulty rating of 0 out of 10. if you're blind then it is 1 out of 10.

Sadly, i did not get to keep the throttle controller in my car because Blitz still needed their test unit for certain reasons, which is the only one in the US i believe. I wish i still had it in my car or had more time to test it out because then i could give a more complete review, but from the testing that we did with it, i will say the throttle controller is a BIG PLUS. I only got to test it out for 15-20 minutes on a mix of local and freeway driving with the Blitz representative in the passenger seat. The testing seemed to be more of whether or not the throttle controller was functioning properly in the USDM fit. He was switching between the different settings and we were observing the differences with my foot constant on the gas pedal. I can tell you this, the throttle controller makes the car feel like a different car. it makes the gas pedal much more sensitive in the SP1, SP2, and SP3 settings and makes the gas pedal feel a lot less "spongy." just a little pressure on the pedal leads to a lot of throttle, so it makes the car feel a lot more eager to take off and powerful. as for the lag in throttle response, i can't say whether or not it was diminished. this is because i simply did not get a chance to test it out. i had thought that i was going to have a chance to test it out on my own but after the test drive, i found out that the controller would not stay with me. additionally there was traffic on freeway at the time of testing so i only got to open up in the Fit for a tiny bit, and the local streets were no place to do so either. i know my review kind of sucks. oh yeah, no CEL at least in the span of our testing, and you can toggle the throttle controller's settings between ECO, SP1, SP2, and SP3 while you're on the gas.

A weird thing i noticed about ECO mode on the test unit was that with ECO mode on, the throttle was opened larger than with the throttle controller OFF. It struck me as strange because i thought ECO mode would make the throttle even "spongier" than stock, so that we could save more fuel. I would have experimented with this more but did not have the chance to do so.

If you guys are looking to change the fit's acceleration attitude and make the gas pedal a lot more aggressive, this is definitely the way to go. I was very pleased by the throttle controller and i am planning to get one myself. if i could put it into one statement, i would say that the throttle controller has the ability to make the fit a sprightly little car that is eager to take off once you get on the gas. Blitz is a reputable company and their products are top-notch, and i'm confident that this product will live up to the company's name. I will keep you guys posted on any new information/developments in case we do get a chance to do some further testing.

Mike
Good write-up Mike. It would pay off for Blitz (in sales) to allow you to have more experience with their product so that you would have more to write about. Since you intend to buy it anyway, they wouldn't even have to discount your purchase (though that would add even more to their reputation if they paid something for your services).

When an effective new mod hits the streets, advertisement claims generate interest, but testimonials based upon personal experience generates SALES.
I will buy, but first need to read more personal experience description.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Good write-up Mike. It would pay off for Blitz (in sales) to allow you to have more experience with their product so that you would have more to write about. Since you intend to buy it anyway, they wouldn't even have to discount your purchase (though that would add even more to their reputation if they paid something for your services).

When an effective new mod hits the streets, advertisement claims generate interest, but testimonials based upon personal experience generates SALES.
Mike, how do you expect this to work on FI cars?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Mike, how do you expect this to work on FI cars?
i'm not sure if you're talking to me or BlitzUSA because our names are both Mike haha. but i asked Mike about the throttle controller working with FI cars (either turbo or supercharged), and he is not certain about compatibility either. From what i could tell, this throttle controller seems to re-map the throttle curve. so when you step on the gas halfway down, the throttle is open 100% instead of the normal 40% (just a hypothetical example). Some things Mike told me: for a turbocharger, it should not have any unwarranted effects simply because the turbo is not hooked up to the throttle electronics in any way right? it's just a mechanical setup. but for superchargers there may be an adverse effect, depending on the supercharger's design. Blitz superchargers, for example, are activated by throttle position sensors, but work fine with the Blitz throttle controller. If the KWSC is also tapped into throttle position sensors, there may or may not be a problem when used in conjunction with the Blitz throttle controller. Testing the controller on supercharged and turbocharged fits may be a good idea since many people on here have big plans for their car, or are already deep in their plans like you Chris. I dunno if we'd be able to test all cars with Blitz's test unit haha, but when i do get my throttle controller i'd be happy to let you guys check it out on your own cars (as long as you're in SoCal).

Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i'm not sure if you're talking to me or BlitzUSA because our names are both Mike haha. but i asked Mike about the throttle controller working with FI cars (either turbo or supercharged), and he is not certain about compatibility either. From what i could tell, this throttle controller seems to re-map the throttle curve. so when you step on the gas halfway down, the throttle is open 100% instead of the normal 40% (just a hypothetical example). Some things Mike told me: for a turbocharger, it should not have any unwarranted effects simply because the turbo is not hooked up to the throttle electronics in any way right? it's just a mechanical setup. but for superchargers there may be an adverse effect, depending on the supercharger's design. Blitz superchargers, for example, are activated by throttle position sensors, but work fine with the Blitz throttle controller. If the KWSC is also tapped into throttle position sensors, there may or may not be a problem when used in conjunction with the Blitz throttle controller. Testing the controller on supercharged and turbocharged fits may be a good idea since many people on here have big plans for their car, or are already deep in their plans like you Chris. I dunno if we'd be able to test all cars with Blitz's test unit haha, but when i do get my throttle controller i'd be happy to let you guys check it out on your own cars (as long as you're in SoCal).
Yea i was talking to Mike from Blitz, but thanks for the Info. Good thing you asked him. Maybe we can set up a day at KW and try it out on the Dyno.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman

I couldn't agree more with you. I tried to write as complete a review as i could but i am still curious about certain aspects of the product myself. From my experience, i am satisfied. however, i still have questions and would like to find out a little more about the throttle controller like all of you. I talked to Mike after the testing yesterday to see if we could do a little more just because i didn't get to try every angle yesterday. he's gonna see what he can do and we'll go from there.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
doctordoom did u feel the acceleration more in the lower rpms/speed or was it overall better.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Yea i was talking to Mike from Blitz, but thanks for the Info. Good thing you asked him. Maybe we can set up a day at KW and try it out on the Dyno.
Oh i forgot to mention, I asked Mike about the controller working with a turbocharger for my friend, and Mike MAY be able to set up a test with the turbo fit's owner. If he's able to do so, maybe it'd be possible for you to get a shot in your supercharged fit too. Just my thoughts, I cannot speak for Blitz.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lidoshorty02
doctordoom did u feel the acceleration more in the lower rpms/speed or was it overall better.
good question lidoshorty, i have the same one. I didn't get to look down at the tach and punch it on and off to check everything out. there was a lot of traffic at the time, and we did not test the unit on any open straightaways. on top of that, the representative was switching between modes on me constantly while i was driving, so my acceleration was just jumping all over the place. i even told him "you're going to make me crash" lol. like i'd be in first starting off a light and he's switch it to one of the sport modes, which resulted in our heads jerking out of our necks and me driving like i just learned how to drive manual. there was definitely a jump in power whenever the settings were changed to sport as my foot was constant on the accelerator, but i think that was more due to the fact that the throttle was opening up more. if you look at the image (from Blitz) posted by Gimme on page 1 of this thread, you'll see the disclaimer that this product does not increase horsepower. keep in mind that it is all about response.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
good question lidoshorty, i have the same one. I didn't get to look down at the tach and punch it on and off to check everything out. there was a lot of traffic at the time, and we did not test the unit on any open straightaways. on top of that, the representative was switching between modes on me constantly while i was driving, so my acceleration was just jumping all over the place. i even told him "you're going to make me crash" lol. like i'd be in first starting off a light and he's switch it to one of the sport modes, which resulted in our heads jerking out of our necks and me driving like i just learned how to drive manual. there was definitely a jump in power whenever the settings were changed to sport as my foot was constant on the accelerator, but i think that was more due to the fact that the throttle was opening up more. if you look at the image (from Blitz) posted by Gimme on page 1 of this thread, you'll see the disclaimer that this product does not increase horsepower. keep in mind that it is all about response.

yea, its the lag that i hate the most.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
if this thing gets rid of the lag i will def be picking one up. good write up.

Quick Reply: Looking for test vehicle for throttle controller