New to LA Considering to buy a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 AM
New to LA Considering to buy a Fit

Hi all,

Just moved to LA. I'm seriously considering to buy a Honda Fit. Was wondering how the Fit owners feel about driving this car in LA? With all the hills, ups and downs, and the freeway merging and high speeds? Does the 1.5l/109 hp/105 lb-ft suffice for all these activities or does it leave the car gasping for breath? I'm not a performance freak, just use the car to commute. My other option is a Nissan versa (only because of the power).

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions,
Ganu

Old 12-14-2007, 01:06 AM
honda fit very very good car. it take you to forth and back. it good car uphill. sometime fit no go up hill well. sometime i drive up hill and the fit no like, fit like flat, fit like dowhill. fit like uphill. but no like it much. honda fit good car. LA no good city. bang bang

Old 12-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by .Chico Escuela.
honda fit very very good car. it take you to forth and back. it good car uphill. sometime fit no go up hill well. sometime i drive up hill and the fit no like, fit like flat, fit like dowhill. fit like uphill. but no like it much. honda fit good car. LA no good city. bang bang

Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Hills do not matter to Jesus!

The manual and sport models dont really have much of an issue with hills, from what I could tell. but it all depends on what you are expecting to do while going up them!
Plenty of cars dont have much power and hills are not a problem, if you want to race against someone up one or plan on passing fifty cars at one go....then maybe it will show its 109hp limits.

I think the Fit is more appealing in LA than the Versa, maybe a more hip look and that slick new age sophisticate usesfullness. (you'll never see that in the brochure)

All in all much of this speed thing is in the foot of the beholder, my 86 civic sedan A/T was darn near the fastest car on the freeway when I drove it, same with my more recent 01 civic coupe A/T, and the same now with my 08 Fit sport M/T. If you just use the car to commute then I highly doubt you will find the Fit gasping for breath. If you commute with a vengance like I do then all you do is press the gas harder and downshift every once in a while. It is a great all around car with plenty of space great handling good safety, a smart vehicle!

But a quick test drive would help you out, and then you would get a less biased response than asking people on a Web site/forum whos name is FITFREAK.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. I actually did take a test drive, but not in LA. I'm not a racer, just use the car for transporting my family and a baby (so yes, racing is the last thing on my mind). I simply liked the trendy look and the versatility, but just wanted to get a local opinion. Thank you.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
Something I noticed about my Fit is that the mileage I get per tank rarely changes more than 2-3 mpg depending on how I drive it. When comparing riding on the freeway and local for some reason I get almost exactly the same mileage. The only time I start going well beyond the normal 2-3 mile per gallon variance is when I start doing some spirited driving. So if your care is anything like mine it will still do well on those hills and for being used in LA

Old 12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmm.. that's good. I was also thinking about one last point. I have a baby, and she will be riding in the car seat at the back. The fact that Fit is a hatchback, and the rear impact crash ratings are not good worries me....

Ganu

Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by ganushinde
Hmm.. that's good. I was also thinking about one last point. I have a baby, and she will be riding in the car seat at the back. The fact that Fit is a hatchback, and the rear impact crash ratings are not good worries me....

Ganu
If I remember correctly the lower rating was for normal (adult) pasengers and had to do with the actuall headrests (head restraints)
Just food for thought...you would still have to check it out. Take it easy and good luck with your decision.

Its true though, I have not met a person who didnt dig my Fit!