General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hitch receiver for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Hitch receiver for 2009

Hi,

My forst post. I just picked up my 2009 Fit Sport (manual Tranny). I did read through this forum and ended up slecting the Fit instead of a Pontiac Vibe.

One thing I needed, however, is to occasionally pull a small trailer I built wiht windsurfing gear - total weight of 600 pounds. Figured both cars could do this.

Oops. The new 2009 looks to be completely different from the 2008 unibody frame. Listed 2008 hitch receivers don't look to me that they will work.

Anybody have any source for a hitch receiver for 2009?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dzager
Hi,

My forst post. I just picked up my 2009 Fit Sport (manual Tranny). I did read through this forum and ended up slecting the Fit instead of a Pontiac Vibe.

One thing I needed, however, is to occasionally pull a small trailer I built wiht windsurfing gear - total weight of 600 pounds. Figured both cars could do this.

Oops. The new 2009 looks to be completely different from the 2008 unibody frame. Listed 2008 hitch receivers don't look to me that they will work.

Thanks,
Dave
Probably the best source is Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924. It is not likely that there will never be a hitch made for the '09 Fit, and when a hitch is designed for it, etrailer.com will have it. It sounds as if you may have to drill some holes and bolt the eventual hitch through the spare tire well.

EDIT: I just visited the above site and found something strange. In the drop-down menu for "find your car", there is absolutely no list for Honda at all. With my search from 1 1/2 years ago showing my '07 Fit as the logged in car choice, they still show the Curt, Hidden Hitch, and Draw Tite hitches being available for the '07 Fit, but for a new user of this site, you cannot find Hondas of any model listed in the menu. ?????

Also, I went to the Hidden Hitch web site. In their fit guide menu for '09 Hondas, the only Honda model listed is the '09 Accord.

Finding a hitch for a'09 Fit may take longer than I thought. Good luck! I think that you'll need it.

Last edited by manxman; 09-13-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I have an email into e-traier to ask if any of the manufacturers might be on this. I have a feeling I am looking at waiting - ie nothing is built yet that will work. I think the lack of 2009 models listed has to do wtih the model year for Honda - not all models are out yet for 2009?

Dave

Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned
I have an email into e-traier to ask if any of the manufacturers might be on this. I have a feeling I am looking at waiting - ie nothing is built yet that will work. I think the lack of 2009 models listed has to do wtih the model year for Honda - not all models are out yet for 2009?

Dave
Dave,
I think that you're right about having to wait for some hitch maker to come up with something safe for the '09 Fits. What I thought was strange in the etrailer site was that all reference to any Honda model had disappeared. It was only because my '07 Fit was registered on the site for 1 1/2 years that I was able to back track and find the 3 different hitches that fit my year/model.

If you get a positive reply from them, your info. will be valuable to other '09 Fit owners.

Dave
(Daves of the world unite! And according to an old Cheech and Chong routine, "Dave's Not Here")

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
This is the response I received from etrailer. Hoping we are talking a few weeks, and not many months for the process!

Dave

"Hi Dave,

The trailer hitches have not yet been tested to fit the 2009 Honda Fit. Would you like me to email you once one has been verified to fit the 2009?

Thanks,

Amanda R.
cs@etrailer.com
(800) 298-8924"

Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned
This is the response I received from etrailer. Hoping we are talking a few weeks, and not many months for the process!

Dave

"Hi Dave,

The trailer hitches have not yet been tested to fit the 2009 Honda Fit. Would you like me to email you once one has been verified to fit the 2009?

Thanks,

Amanda R.
cs@etrailer.com
(800) 298-8924"
I have used etrailer.com for about 8 years, for 3 vehicles-- very good vendor. You got about the response from them that I expected, and for your sake I hope that you are right about weeks vs. months.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Unhappy Hitch for 2009 Fit Sport

I bought the 2009 Honda Fit Sport to carry bicycles both inside and outside of the vehicle. It never occurred to me that there wasn't an available hitch for the '09 Fit Sport ... I've talked to etrailers.com and UHAUL and Rack Attack (a shop specializing in bike racks and hitches) and I get the same story... the '09 hitches are being tested and there's nothing available that is compatible with the 2009 Fit Sport. Does anybody out there have an answer??? Is there something I'm missing??? Any help or advice or evidence on what works would be most appreciated! I'm in need of installing a bike rack on a hitch!!!

Thanks,
Chris
VancouverFit (not so happy at the moment)

Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
I emailed Hidden Hitch and asked when they might come up with a hitch for us. They said it will take a while to engineer the hitch and then test it for the 2009. They would not say anything about how soon that might be.

I also saw on "Hondaaccess" web site that overseas can order a hitch receiver for the 2009 Honda Jazz. I don't know if anything from there might be a possibility, shipping charges, or if the Jazz has a different unibody frame.

Dave

Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Banned
As I previously posted, since the '09 Fit does not have the rear "jacking bracket" that is found on the 1st. gen. Fits, which is where all 1st. gen Fit trailer hitches mount, a hitch for the '09 will probably be one where the user must drill holes through the spare tire well to bolt in the new hitch. This will probably include a double back-up steel plate- one plate on the inside, the other plate on the outside, to strengthen the floor/frame to prevent the hitch framework and mounting bolts from ripping the sheet metal of the floor/frame. If I am right in my guess, the wait will be a long one.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
I had another thought. Anybody know anybody overseas that might be able to take a picture of the hitch that Honda offers for the 2009 Jazz? Might help in getting the hitch made for 2009 Fit here.

Dave

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
New 09 and new Fanatic Freewave 86 (239cm/8'0''). Fit perfect in the Fit...
Could put my old 8.3 in there and a few more sails too.
I'm a minimalist.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by FanOfFit
New 09 and new Fanatic Freewave 86 (239cm/8'0''). Fit perfect in the Fit...
Could put my old 8.3 in there and a few more sails too.
I'm a minimalist.
Very Nice. I'd like to fit my hang glider wing in there, but even at broken down it's still 10'..

Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Nice pic! I got out my HiFly Madd 138 and was able to just get it in there ( I believe it is 258 cm long). I still would like to be able to pull the light trailer for when I bring more than one board, kayaks, and camping gear.

I also bought the Yakima roof rack and have put my kayak and board on the rack with sails and gear inside.

I know about the mounting points for the 2008 hitch (saw the pics and video on etraier). I'm just trying to spur on the engineering for the 2009.

Dave

Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 AM
From the manual, looks like towing a trailer is not an option. I started (still very early stage) to kite so I don't have to take on roof rack and trailer for light wind. Tired of lugging so much gear.
The Fit reminds me of my 1992 Civic hatchback which could have swallowed the Madd!
Good luck with your set up.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hi,

Thanks,
Dave
In case you still need a source check the following: Hidden Hitch Class I Trailer Hitch Recevier with Drawbar 60218 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Old 10-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Hitch for 2009 Honda Fit Sport - has anybody tried this one yet???

Hitch for 2009 Honda Fit Sport - has anybody tried this one yet??? Does it work? Any installation issues? Pictures would be nice if you have one installed... thanks!

Hidden Hitch Class I Trailer Hitch Recevier with Drawbar 60218 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
custom

I just went and looked at the underbody of the 09 fit and it is different. I bought the 07 fit in may of 06. I wanted to take it and our mtn bikes on a cross country tour. Which we did. It was fun. But before we left I had to have a hitch fabricated so that our bikes could go too. The shop we took it to unbolted a pryimidal piece of metal that was under the car and used those holes plus the tow hook to hang a custom hitch. It has worked ever since and I've even put a ball hitch on it and towed equipment. Since I am planning on buying the 09 here in a month or so I might have to get another hitch built for our bikes. The custom hitch set me back 150 dollars.
And good decision to buy the fit over the vibe. world of difference.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by grillface
I just went and looked at the underbody of the 09 fit and it is different. I bought the 07 fit in may of 06. I wanted to take it and our mtn bikes on a cross country tour. Which we did. It was fun. But before we left I had to have a hitch fabricated so that our bikes could go too. The shop we took it to unbolted a pryimidal piece of metal that was under the car and used those holes plus the tow hook to hang a custom hitch. It has worked ever since and I've even put a ball hitch on it and towed equipment. Since I am planning on buying the 09 here in a month or so I might have to get another hitch built for our bikes. The custom hitch set me back 150 dollars.
And good decision to buy the fit over the vibe. world of difference.
Most of us just went to etrailer.com and picked one of the models that were available from three different manufacturers, and paid far less than your custom fab price for an off-the-shelf hitch. Guess what? All three mount exactly where yours does.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
My point is......there were no hitches available in May of 2006 when I needed one for my brand new 07 fit. Therefore my main point is that if you need a hitch now for your 09 fit........then you can get one custom built.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Installation of a hitch will void the vehicle warranty. The entire warranty. so pursue this at you own risk. It state this quite clearly in the owners manual.

Not trying to be a downer but befor you end up with a problem. And it does not matter if it is just for a bike rack.

Quick Reply: Hitch receiver for 2009