3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Action Jackson's tinkering

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
And the engine still ran without the MAF connected? If it did I'd expect a CEL. but in your opinion, would squirting the cleaner in the PCV port of the intake manifold make more sense for this exercise? Im researching this as I plan on doing this next oil change, and then viewing with an inspection camera the before and after.
The car ran during the cleaning process without the MAF attached. I can't remember if there was a CEL, and if there was, I cleared it with my code reader and it never came back. I saw a picture of someone else inserting the straw into the MAF port to squirt the cleaner (2Rismo?) and to me, that's a way better idea which I will do next time.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Nope wasn't me

Old 04-25-2020, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Early GK5 Steering Wheel Adapters with aftermarket head unit

Steering Wheel Controllers/Adapters with aftermarket head unit

I've used 3 of the current controllers/adapters on the market with my 2016 with my current Kenwood headunit (DNX995S). The Axxess ASWC-01 with A
xxess HDCC-02 Wiring Interface, PAC RP4-HD11 and iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module with iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 Factory Integration Adapter.

I had posted something about the first 2 here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...aswc-01-a.html

Here are the results:

Axxess ASWC-01 with Axxess HDCC-02 Wiring Interface

PROS:

Volume and source buttons "work"
"Allows" Reverse and Lanewatch cameras Reverse view is a clear picture.
ACC mode lets you use your head unit.
When car is running and you turn off IGN to ACC mode, it allows the head unit to be used.

CONS:

Occasionally and often when volume up is pushed. It changes the source. Extremely annoying forcing me to hit source multiple times to put be back to the original source. Volume up then might not work forcing me to use the volume button on head unit.

Reverse camera defaults to wide angle (I do not mind this at all) with no option of picking any other view.

If you want reverse camera to have backup lines, then those same backup lines shows up in the lanewatch camera view!

Uses the factory signals to feed camera views into a single camera input on headunit (mine has both rear and front inputs). Reversing is no issue. However when lanewatch is active, the "picture" quality is distorted with interference and the picture shifts focus (like an antenna tv from the 80's) making lanewatch pretty much useless while driving. Stationary the image is great.

When hazard lights are activated, it activates lanewatch. This makes trying to park on the side of the road and using the Kenwood GPS absolutely useless.

Phone controls are absolutely useless, as is the other buttons such as menu and file. Only the volume and source buttons are used.

Cannot program the buttons to do anything else even though it is an available feature.

The next/back buttons do not skip folders, rather only fast forwards/backwards.

In ACC mode, you can use your headunit. The moment you select IGN, the head unit always shuts down and restarts up again.

Remedies:
Contacted Axxess tech support as well as Crutchfield tech support. Could not program any other buttons so unit was exchanged. The 2nd unit did not produce any camera image until Axxess told me to cut and reverse the camera input wires on their interface. I've spliced into OEM harnesses with no ability to use any of the phone control buttons.

Conclusion:
Maybe it was too early in the product life. Had to keep this unit in order to use the steering wheel controls (somewhat). Used this for several years with great frustration.

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ==

PAC RP4-HD11

PROS:

3 phone control buttons register. Answer and voice control works
Interfaces with Axxess HDCC-02 Wiring Interface to retain reverse and lanewatch cameras
Regular controls (volume/source) works
Lanewatch button works

CONS:

Hangup doesn't work
Headunit would stay on constantly after keys removed from ignition
At the time, has no reverse/lanewatch camera interface so must use the Axxess system.

Remedies:
Contacted PAC tech support to troubleshoot to no avail. Exchanged for a new unit with the exact same outcome after troubleshooting as well. Then the replacement unit refused to work with volume/source buttons after.

Conclusion:
Maybe it was too early in the product life. Tried using this interface after having the Axxess unit. Obviously never had this installed for long for any driving (head unit stays on!). So I've never used this for any length of time at all.

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ======

iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module with iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 Factory Integration Adapter

PROS:

All steering wheel buttons work are programmable with dual functions available. You end up with more features than OEM (ie. with a long hold of a button, I can mute/or pause the music from USB).

ACC/IGN function independently. Anytime you are in ACC mode, your head unit is perfectly usable. When you go from ACC to IGN, your head unit does not restart. It continues to stay on for some time. Can't figure out the exact time.

Retain ACC mode can be set for a few seconds to 15 mins. So when you turn off vehicle, the headunit will stay on based on the time you set, or turn off as normal.
​​​​​​
Reverse and Lanewatch function like OEM. Lanewatch had OEM lines. Reverse allows you to pick the 3 OEM views. The reverse lines are fully adjustable. Uses steering wheel vector lines so that when you steer in reverse, the entire lines do not shift, rather the car's size lines stay stationary, but steering vector lines shows up. It takes a little getting use to. Reverse and lanewatch use the rear and front camera inputs on my headunit.

Show's car voltage without OBD interface.

Hazard light does not activate lanewatch!

Lanewatch button works

If for some reason your cameras end up not showing up, select "reset" in the Maestro options and it will reset it to the way you had it originally programmed.

CONS:

Ummmm… It's expensive and works so you get what you pay for?

Must know your head unit's serial number for interface to work (open car up, get serial number, go back to laptop to configure interface, then install).

OBDII port interface might not work. Have not tried to switch the 2 pickup wires to obtain desired functionality.

Programming "Navigation" button does not return me to my head unit's navigation screen, so this might be for OEM navigation.

When in reversing into a spot, make sure that you have your right turn signal on first, then shift into reverse. That way, the reverse camera overrides the lanewatch.

Remedies:

Not able to use "Climate" feature, might be available for models with automatic climate control which my car does not have.
Not able to use OBDII interface to use tire monitoring system... but Canadian models do not have TPMS. Will figure this out later to see if this unit uses ABS and speed sensors to figure out tire pressure.
Not able to use OBDII interface to use "track pack" gauges. Will have to figure out if interface is geared for USDM models. Honestly I don't really care if the interface doesn't work. Will have to work on this later.

Conclusion:
Works right off the bat. Just get this. Please check with idatalink's website for compatibility.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 05-06-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
So here is my original mod. I'm very happy with this and am impressed with the quality and durability of it.

Name:  hXFtM4i.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  192.1 KB

Then I saw that the manufacturer made another model that I couldn't pass up:

Name:  URF79NA.jpg
Size:  1.21 MB

Name:  EgFOEVl.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  kKyPCkB.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  ktewNlz.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  749.7 KB

Name:  74UPXZU.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  2.85 MB

Name:  OsOQwQd.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  483.5 KB

Name:  ZO2NVQL.jpg
Size:  2.94 MB

Old 05-04-2020, 10:05 AM
That takes patience and determination. I would have used a piece of white electrical tape and called it a day.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...5a6c4c4dQesjcA

Name:  mfvvSxD.jpg
Size:  989.1 KB

Name:  2lKKoAC.jpg
Size:  631.8 KB
Name:  b3nW1fn.jpg
Size:  1.30 MB

Name:  xClwAyY.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  3.37 MB

Name:  0URkPTA.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  950.1 KB

Last edited by Action Jackson; 06-29-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:30 AM
That steering wheel cover looks awesome. I did a Wheelskins and it came out OK. A bit sloppy around the spokes
Thanks for your how to post

Old 06-29-2020, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
That stripe looks like it's at 11:59

Old 06-29-2020, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Badger2019Ao
That steering wheel cover looks awesome. I did a Wheelskins and it came out OK. A bit sloppy around the spokes
Thanks for your how to post
Thanks for the compliment!

Old 06-29-2020, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
That stripe looks like it's at 11:59
It's actually 11:58 and 26 seconds.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Mishimoto compact 2 port baffled oil catch can. Replaced cheap plastic hose fittings with stainless ones.

Where did you get your fittings from? Did you get 3/8" fittings and hose?

Old 09-03-2020, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Old 09-03-2020, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Generic front seat covers. Headrests don't fit (1 inch too short). This is good enough to cover up the salt+water stains that I can't remove.

Name:  P8QJj8p.jpg
Size:  1.03 MB

Old 09-03-2020, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the help!

Old 09-03-2020, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
No problem.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
Fake textured wood wrap!

Name:  Pb6PumY.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  3.14 MB
Name:  qzceoXS.jpg
Size:  2.06 MB
Name:  wnCkLQw.jpg
Size:  2.78 MB

Old 05-13-2021, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Fake textured wood wrap!
When did you get a Bentley?

Old 05-14-2021, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by BMWguy22
When did you get a Bentley?
Nice. lol, I said it before but I kinda really like it with the false wood grain

Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Coffee colored suede. Red and White markers. Yellow stitching and 0.5mm upgraded yellow string used to hopefully avoid fraying.

Name:  u5PUxnY.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  2.56 MB

Last edited by Action Jackson; 05-24-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Lighted ignition.

Name:  mknd6zi.jpg
Size:  532.1 KB

Name:  Uoz86Bg.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  2.18 MB

Name:  qUnCciw.jpg
Size:  724.9 KB
Borrowing power from interior LED light.

Name:  rpxqFZ1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  504.9 KB

Quick Reply: Action Jackson's tinkering