3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
My wife sewed some masks for her friend's kids in the neighborhood and she asked me to drop them off. Just a 5 minute car ride but took the fit since I haven't driven it in weeks. Was harder to start but still started at the first button push. Maybe it's an excuse to get the 51r battery since I have the original battery still. Windows seem to go up and down fine with the new weathertech visors.

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 04-20-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
The family has enjoyed me working from home. We have all our meals together and added bonus is I've lost about 5lbs from not going out for luch! I take a break every 2 hours to spend a few minutes with the family. For my wife and kids, their schedules have not really changed. My wife is a SAHM and our kids are too young to be in school anyways. They haven't gone in a car in over 25 days at this point. I do all the shopping to keep them insulated from catching anything. I have the big life insurance policy so I'd rather catch something instead of my wife. If I croak, they'd be set for life.
God forbid that happens! But it is always good to have backup plans. I know if I croaked, my wife would lose her chauffeur and person to reach the stuff on the top shelf. With autonomous cars in the future, maybe she will not need me so much...! My wife and kids have been working/schooling from home. Whenever I ask if the kids want to go for a car ride, you would think I offered them a puppy and ice cream.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:29 AM
My wife sewed some masks for her friend's kids in the neighborhood and she asked me to drop them off. Just a 5 minute car ride but took the fit since I haven't driven it in weeks. Was harder to start but still started at the first button push. Maybe it's an excuse to get the 51r battery since I have the original battery still. Windows seem to go up and down fine with the new weathertech visors.
That's great! My wife is doing the same because most of the masks out there do not fit kids well. Not that we usually have them mingling during this time, but it is nice for the kids to have something that is theirs.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
That's great! My wife is doing the same because most of the masks out there do not fit kids well. Not that we usually have them mingling during this time, but it is nice for the kids to have something that is theirs.
Yup this family, the husband is a NP at the pediatrician we go to but the don't have kids size masks. These are the masks my wife made their kids, with the left most one sized for 1 year old even though she told them it's not suggested kids under 2 wear masks as it's harder for them to breath.

Our 18m old won't keep it on for more than 10 seconds lol

Old 04-22-2020, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Dropped off the 2013 Odyssey to get repainted under the paint recall it's covered under. They gave me a 2020 pilot touring for the week. They must think this is going to tempt me to upgrade lol

It's pretty nice. Much faster than the Odyssey, handles great and shifts very smooth with the 9 speed tranny. My coworker has a 2016 though and got hit with the fuel injection replacement since it's a gdi variant of the 3.5 v6. Not looking to have a 45k car payment so no thanks. Only 8500 left on the Odyssey with a 250 monthly payment.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Yup this family, the husband is a NP at the pediatrician we go to but the don't have kids size masks. These are the masks my wife made their kids, with the left most one sized for 1 year old even though she told them it's not suggested kids under 2 wear masks as it's harder for them to breath.

Our 18m old won't keep it on for more than 10 seconds lol
Love the design! My girls won't admit, but I think they still like Frozen (12 and ten now). At least, I catch them singing some of the songs from time-to-time.

Dropped off the 2013 Odyssey to get repainted under the paint recall it's covered under. They gave me a 2020 pilot touring for the week. They must think this is going to tempt me to upgrade lol

It's pretty nice. Much faster than the Odyssey, handles great and shifts very smooth with the 9 speed tranny. My coworker has a 2016 though and got hit with the fuel injection replacement since it's a gdi variant of the 3.5 v6. Not looking to have a 45k car payment so no thanks. Only 8500 left on the Odyssey with a 250 monthly payment.
You could probably get a good return on the Odyssey if you were to sell it. With all the problems plaguing the 2018-2019 Odysseys, and their generally high resale value, it would be easy to find a buyer. Although at the moment I don't know how many people are actively looking for cars (except kenchan and his Supra). The two best things about the minivan for me are the sliding doors (easy to open and close in tight spaces) and lower height for the kids to scramble in (although that is not much of an issue for us now). My wife is 5'3", so it definitely helped when they were in rear-facing car seats to reach across and carry them in or out.

Of course, reading about the glut of cars on dealer lots has me thinking to buy something as well. Maybe not a Supra, but even Jags and Land Rovers are offering 0% financing for all their cars.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Love the design! My girls won't admit, but I think they still like Frozen (12 and ten now). At least, I catch them singing some of the songs from time-to-time.

You could probably get a good return on the Odyssey if you were to sell it. With all the problems plaguing the 2018-2019 Odysseys, and their generally high resale value, it would be easy to find a buyer. Although at the moment I don't know how many people are actively looking for cars (except kenchan and his Supra). The two best things about the minivan for me are the sliding doors (easy to open and close in tight spaces) and lower height for the kids to scramble in (although that is not much of an issue for us now). My wife is 5'3", so it definitely helped when they were in rear-facing car seats to reach across and carry them in or out.

Of course, reading about the glut of cars on dealer lots has me thinking to buy something as well. Maybe not a Supra, but even Jags and Land Rovers are offering 0% financing for all their cars.
Those reasons you mentioned are exactly why my wife wanted the Odyssey. I previously had a 2004 4Runner that was bullet proof. It "only" had 162k on it with no car payment since 2009. I would have liked to keep it longer, but it's worth keeping the wife happy Plus when my parents would stay with us it was impossible to go anywhere as a group without taking 2 vehicles. Now everyone can pile into the van with room to spare. With them being overseas though, I'm not sure if it's a good idea for them to stay with us this year with everything going on. They're retired so they stay with us for 3 months or so (well cycling between my siblings and I in the area).

We've only had the Odyssey about a year. When I bought it, it had less than 34k miles on it and for $20k OTD. It was owned by grandparents to ferry their grandkids around when they visited. It didn't even have the creases on the rear leather seats from car seats! One of the first things I had done on it were to drain/fill the transmission and brake fluid as I had no clue when those were done last and there have been reports of transmission issues on Odysseys as well. I think we can get many years and miles on it.

I'm on this whole journey of financial independence so I'm trying to zero out debt. Making extra payments on the car and house. Car should be paid off in another 2 years at this rate, and I'm socking money away into my brokerage account to pay off the house in about 4 years and I'll be completely debt free! Stock market is down so hopefully I'm buying stuff on sale that will appreciate in value when this Corona stuff is over with. It doesn't feel good to see my retirement accounts down in value, but I know that's not going to be forever if the past repeats itself.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Put the battery on a battery tender. I moved it on Sunday to clean up the garage some and it had a really hard time starting. It still started but you could tell it was struggling after 2 weeks of no starts and the car locked with I'm assuming the anti-theft stuff working.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Fit starts up no problem now that is was on a tender. Picked up some groceries and noticed gas prices are going back up in my area. Last week it was $1.25 and now it's $1.49

Old 06-06-2020, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Covid19 claimed the life of my battery. It's been on a battery tender but noticed it hasn't moved from charging to storage like it typically does after topping off a battery. Sure enough the car wouldn't start and I had to jump it with my booster pack. I'll see if I can source a 51r PDQ and if not just get the replacement in the same side. Of course it had to die a few days before I'm moving houses.

Built in 12/2014 so it lasted a good amount of time. Probably would have lasted longer if I was driving it.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Local Walmart happened to have the 51r battery. So took the chance and installed it. I did have to modify the battery tray but 5 minutes with a hack saw and tin snips is all it took.

The length is the biggest difference. (That's what she said...)

Trim the walls to open it up

Fits great

No issues with the heat sink, posts are the same size and holds down the same.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Are you going to keep the cars on a tender?

I take the wife's car and my minivan out for a drive every two weeks or so. I am afraid of any parasitic drain killing the battery. I probably should hook up the tender that I have in the storage closet, but feeling lazy.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Are you going to keep the cars on a tender?

I take the wife's car and my minivan out for a drive every two weeks or so. I am afraid of any parasitic drain killing the battery. I probably should hook up the tender that I have in the storage closet, but feeling lazy.
The Odyssey I drive once a week to do grocery pickup so that's usually enough to keep it going.

Honestly I think it was just that the battery was getting near the end of its life and I hadn't driven the car in weeks. It was bound to happen at some point though and that's why I keep a battery booster in it.

It worked great today. I sold my SV650 to my coworker and helped home get it home. It never skipped a beat.

​I'm moving to a new house on Wednesday and I'm losing my garage space. I'll have to run an extension out to the car with a tender every few weeks.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered some General G-MAX AS-05 tires in 205/50/16. The Altimax RT43 were decent and I got about 50k on them and still have about 3/32 on them. I have to go get a safety inspection and don't want to deal with possibly getting rejected. So didn't quite get the 65k out of them but not bad.

Since I moved and my commute is going to be half as far, I went with some tires with less life. Got them for $360 and shop will mint for 70.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure why it was priced so low, but I snagged a brand new K&N cabin air filter VF2033 for $15.31 shipped. My current non OEM isn't that old, but figured I'd use the K&N and keep the other to use while I clean the K&N. That's what I do with the engine air filter as well and works out well.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Not sure why it was priced so low, but I snagged a brand new K&N cabin air filter VF2033 for $15.31 shipped. My current non OEM isn't that old, but figured I'd use the K&N and keep the other to use while I clean the K&N. That's what I do with the engine air filter as well and works out well.
Interesting. I did not know K&N made cabin air filters (never thought to look for it). Does it require oiling as well? Can you smell the oil, or any sort of chemical odor, inside the cabin?

Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 AM
I've had my K&N cabin air filter for a few years now. It's not a 100% tight fit. I'm about to buy the oil kit and will let you know. Otherwise I just shake the bugs out of it every now and then.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
I've had my K&N cabin air filter for a few years now. It's not a 100% tight fit. I'm about to buy the oil kit and will let you know. Otherwise I just shake the bugs out of it every now and then.
Yes I'm interested in your experience. Honestly I wasn't going to buy one, but for $15 I figured I'd give it a try.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Got the tires mounted for $58.60. Tires for $360.45. no handling report as I just went straight home.

General G-MAX AS-05 205/50ZR16
​​​​​

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 07-29-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Got a k&n cabin air filter brand new for $15. This sticker is kind of concerning lol. I'll get side by side pictures when I go to install it.

K&N VF2033 cabin air filter

Contents

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 07-10-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles