3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
any effects from wind?

ie, when you're on the highway, does the blades react to the flow of air over the blades?
Got a chance to use them in the highway with rain and they are so much better than the ANCOs. They don't seem to flutter while gliding on the glass at speed.

Originally Posted by GolNat
I really like them. Super smooth and they are great in heavy rainfall. Well mine are VW branded but they are Bosch wipers
I agree. If they last more than a year I think I've found the brand I'll be using from now on.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Was picking up groceries and stumbled upon this cheap toolkit on sale at Walmart. The one in my car is just pieced together stuff I had lying around. For $11, I figured it can't be too bad to add to my repair kit.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Was picking up groceries and stumbled upon this cheap toolkit on sale at Walmart. The one in my car is just pieced together stuff I had lying around. For $11, I figured it can't be too bad to add to my repair kit.
I love these kits for the simple organization. Unfortunately, after some time I usually end up with several sockets and wrenches in the sizes I never use, and can never find the ones I need.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
I love these kits for the simple organization. Unfortunately, after some time I usually end up with several sockets and wrenches in the sizes I never use, and can never find the ones I need.
Lol that's exactly what my pieced together kit consists of. There's extra stuff in this kit that I don't need

Old 01-13-2020, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
88254 miles
  • Changed out the oil filter to Bosch 3323 purchased for $4.24 at Rock Auto (also Amazon), oil to QUAKER STATE ULTIMATE DURABILITY FULL SYNTHETIC OIL 0W-20 from Walmart $22-25
  • Cleaned out the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner
  • Rotated Altimax RT43. Tread depth between 4/32 and 5/32 with about 48K on them. Not sure I'll get the advertised 65k warranty on them but they've been a good set. There was a snowstorm last week and I had to drive through it on the way home while it was still accumulating. Roads had about 4-5" on them and car handled well as long as I didn't go too fast. Slowing down was no problem and as long as I was light on acceleration there was traction. It helped putting it on ECON mode. I'll probably get another season of driving on them since I do about 20k a year in mileage, but they'll probably need replacing before next winter for them to be safe.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Suggestion

88254 miles............
  • ..............QUAKER STATE ULTIMATE DURABILITY FULL SYNTHETIC OIL 0W-20 from Walmart $22-25

Try using Castrol Magnatec 0w20 from Amazon next time. A bit cheaper than QState and it's a Euro synthetic blend which I prefer to Mobil 1. My last purchase was $18+ delivered to our WA. office.
Got a pack of 20 oil drain gaskets from Ebay for $5 shipped back in 2014. So far used 6.
Keep up the great work!!!

Totally appreciate driver's who do their own maintenance. Being exposed to numerous motor pools and the car service industry, the quality of even the most basic service depends on your specific tech's mood for that given day no matter how technically capable.

It takes me less than an hour for an oil change, but I know the best quality is used and everything is torqued back properly. Since delivery of my '15 LX, not a single screw nor plastic fitting has disappeared for my engine splash shield!!! Using JIS standard tools makes a difference!

The Fit is not difficult to perform basic regular maintenance and, threads, as this, showing FF members doing such, will hopefully encourage others to do the same.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-15-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, I'll check out the oil. I just usually grab whatever is cheapest at my local Walmart. Regular oil changes on the Fit is easy. I did oil/filter change, MAF clean, tire rotation and installed LED reverse bulbs in the Odyssey in about 2 hours, including putting tools away. I could probably do it faster, but wife watches the kids while I have some cathartic me time.

The only time I lost a splash shield retention screw was when I let the dealership do the first one since it was free. Since then I've done the oil changes myself and nothing has been lost. I did let the a different dealership do the CVT fluid change because I wanted the coverage in case there was a warranty claim. I'm completely out of the drive train warranty so I'll do it myself next time to save on the expense.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
I recently went away from the 3323 filters and moved to the 72226WS.

as far as I can tell, very minimal diff. at $2.68 a pop, I picked up a dozen and split half with a friend.

as long as one does their oil changes at 7500mi (or in the case of my insight, slightly earlier), the 13g vs 14g dirt capacity and the 97.5% vs 99% efficiency should be a non factor.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...partID=72226WS
  • 97.5% efficiency
  • Holds up to 13 grams* of dirt
  • *Based on ISO 4548-12 at 40 microns on L3500

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...rs?partID=3323
  • 99% efficiency
  • Holds up to 14 grams* of dirt
  • *Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on 3500

Attached Thumbnails 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles-f00e160064phfrwhco0000na_lg.jpg  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Both of those filters work on an Odyssey, which is double the size of the Fit's engine. I don't think it'd have issue on the 1.5 engine.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
.................................................. ....... I don't think it'd have issue on the 1.5 engine.
Agree!!!
Our Fit has 50K miles and change the filters every two oil changes. Every change occurs around 7k intervals. To date the darkest color oil is still light brown. If I did the Jiffy lube route, where most do jobber 0W20 oil, it may be much darker!!!
My niece, back in the islands, still drives our former '07 GD, now approaching 200k. Taught her partner how to change oil, using quality brands, and it continues going strong!!!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Installed the weathertech visors. I've been wanting them for a while and my credit card offered 10% off weathertech purchases so that motivated me to get them.

Haven't driven them yet so we'll see if there is any added noise. I like the look though. $113 shipped after the discount.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM
I had some minor teething issues when I first installed them in the fall. My driver's window would roll up a bit slower, but that's gone now. On some very cold days (-30C), I might hear a squeak from one of them. Otherwise they're great.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I might park it outside so that the sun can heat it up to conform better. I noticed the windows going up slower so that's good to hear that gets better after a while.

BTW, the car started after sitting for about a week without being driven. It did sound weaker when starting but started. That included rolling up the windows a few times per the weathertech install instructions.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 PM
Yeah in my tests, I found that there is very little drain based on 2 tests. However I did not activate the stock security system and will have to remeasure the values based on that.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Yeah in my tests, I found that there is very little drain based on 2 tests. However I did not activate the stock security system and will have to remeasure the values based on that.
Got to amend my statement, it's been about 2 weeks since I started it yesterday.

The stock security system is the one when you have the car locked? Versus it not locked?

Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 PM
Got to amend my statement, it's been about 2 weeks since I started it yesterday.

The stock security system is the one when you have the car locked? Versus it not locked?
That's right.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 AM
Looks great! My Fit sits outside so leaving the windows cracked makes a big difference.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Looks great! My Fit sits outside so leaving the windows cracked makes a big difference.
Thanks! Yup, when I drive into work I try to park in the shade though, so the car doesn't get too hot when I leave the office. It's an extra 100 yard walk, but I can use the extra exercise lol.

I'm saving some gas money working from home during this lock down though. Not as much as I had thought as gas dropped to $1.25 a gallon!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Thanks! Yup, when I drive into work I try to park in the shade though, so the car doesn't get too hot when I leave the office. It's an extra 100 yard walk, but I can use the extra exercise lol.

I'm saving some gas money working from home during this lock down though. Not as much as I had thought as gas dropped to $1.25 a gallon!
$1.25! That is amazing. I got excited when I saw the prices at $2.50 a few weeks ago. I started imagining ways to hoard gas like people are doing with TP. At a buck twenty-five I would be driving around needlessly just to enjoy the fill-ups.

Are you working from home often? They are attempting to implement the same at my work, but much of the work I do requires me to physically interact with the analyzers, instrumentation, or computers. That does not happen with WFH. My wife and kids enjoy it though, since I enjoy barbecuing and baking.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
$1.25! That is amazing. I got excited when I saw the prices at $2.50 a few weeks ago. I started imagining ways to hoard gas like people are doing with TP. At a buck twenty-five I would be driving around needlessly just to enjoy the fill-ups.

Are you working from home often? They are attempting to implement the same at my work, but much of the work I do requires me to physically interact with the analyzers, instrumentation, or computers. That does not happen with WFH. My wife and kids enjoy it though, since I enjoy barbecuing and baking.
Yeah it was crazy to see gas prices this low. A few weeks ago it was $1.50. Wednesday I had the day off so did grocery shopping for the family for the next 2 weeks and picked up lunch from our local BBQ place when I saw gas at $1.25 at multiple stations. I was at 3/4 full so didn't bother stopping.

Right now I'm 100% telework which is a nice perk. For years we told our bosses we could do this, and just stagger our team member's schedules so someone was in the office at all times in case we need to get our hands on something. They wouldn't let us do that, but now no one is at the office and things are still humming along! We're not allowed in the building unless it's a break fix issue and we need approval ahead of time to head in. I'm in IT so really 99.999% of the things I need to do can be done VPNed in.

The family has enjoyed me working from home. We have all our meals together and added bonus is I've lost about 5lbs from not going out for luch! I take a break every 2 hours to spend a few minutes with the family. For my wife and kids, their schedules have not really changed. My wife is a SAHM and our kids are too young to be in school anyways. They haven't gone in a car in over 25 days at this point. I do all the shopping to keep them insulated from catching anything. I have the big life insurance policy so I'd rather catch something instead of my wife. If I croak, they'd be set for life.

Quick Reply: 2RISMO2 - Commuter Life Chronicles