3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Trauma714's GK5 Modification SPREE

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:55 PM
Trauma714's GK5 Modification SPREE

Hello FitFreak world! I have been lurking since early last year and have finally decided to post a build thread just so others can get ideas or see what certain things might look like.

Every time I Search I always come up a tad short on exactly what I'm looking for, so hopefully this thread can help anyone else who searches for exactly what I did.

2015 orchid white pearl. The absolute worst year to get this color. I didn't think anything of chipped paint when I bought it but man it was trouble down the road.

Original Issues:
-crack across entire windshield. P.O. didn't know it was there and I had to point it out? Like what?
-hole in rear bumper, covered by a sticker
-paint chipping off all over due to it being 2015 made in Mexico. (I didn't know about the factory issue at time of purchase)
-lighting is absolutely horrendous. Its borderline dangerous at night, in the rain it's an absolute hazard.
-interior absolutely disgusting. P.O. was a surfer/did construction and it showed. At least he took great care of the engine!
-Front bumper sag, lower grill held on with zipties.
-dents/dings everywhere
-Normally I would not buy a car in this condition. However, this was PEAK used car times (early 2022) and this was "only" 8k compared to dealers wanting 14k+ for a base model cvt at the time.

Goals: lowered, decent-looking economical daily that is FUN. 6-speed w/ sunroof and push-button start were non-negotiables. After having keyless it is so convenient. Leather/navi/heated seats would have been a plus but I couldn't find one within my budget and within 500 miles.

Updated Mod list so far (including fixing oem things) :
Windshield $200
Headlight Retrofit ($200, $150 plus another $50 since I screwed up)
Tires $80 dismounted, remounted, balanced
Alignment $80
Smog (yay CA) $45
Oil change/Air/Cabin filters $150
Detail $110
Trunk mat $70
Short Shifter $50 (yay FB marketplace)
Rear diffuser $160
Window Visors $150
Wrap (by me) $700
Broadway rearview mirror $15
Tint (by me) $100
Light up kick plates $100
Key+programming $85
Rota Circuit 19 16x7+40 $400
Spacers (15mm rear, 5mm front) $100
Lug nuts $50
Rear bumper + warranty paintwork $1000
Fog lights $40
Transmission fluid + sneaky pete pump $50
Rear bumper running lights $75
Shark fin antenna cover $15
Carbon look front lip $45
KYB Excel G rear shocks $100
Bilstein front shocks $150
Tein lowering springs (used) $80
Tail lights $240
LED fog lights $20
Rear hatch struts $20

I will update the thread as I do work- I tend to stockpile parts before installation since I don't like to take things apart 40 times.

Here it is, in its stock glory!

It was a 10-ft car when I got it.

Came with a tow hitch! I have it if you want it and you're local. Free. Or bring a pizza.

Last edited by Trauma714; 01-20-2023 at 01:47 PM. Reason: moar parts.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:56 PM
First thing I do whenever I get a car is take the seats out and clean clean clean. Boy did this guy need it.

before

before

I even had it professionally cleaned after this for about $110 since I was not happy with the final results. It looks great from 5 feet, but you can barely tell it's still slightly discolored in some areas. I always wanted maroon/red seats so if I ever have them reupholstered or if I do it myself + put seat heaters I'll just do that. I looked up Clazzio *sp and other seat covers but I'm not convinced the quality X $$ equation is worth it since I live in CA and there are tons of quality upholstery places...we'll see.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:31 PM
Within a few weeks I bought and installed a retrofit kit from iJDMtoy. It's a 3" projector kit with the square/rounded shrouds. They fit with no modification to the bowl, although I did snap off the bulb reflector/defuser that surrounds the bulb because I couldn't get to the screws to remove it and I also don't plan on going back.

*for those worried about a 'knockoff' projector kit or who would ask why I would do this kit instead of buying some $400+ kit off TRS or something- I've have great success with iJDMtoy products in the past, they are located 13 minutes away from my place so I pickup parts/get replacement bulbs easily & quickly, and I have never had an issue installing their projectors unless it was user error. I have other kits on other cars that have lasted years when installed correctly. It's probably not as high quality though, but I can live with it. I'm all for value x dollar with this car.

For running lights/halos I used a fuse tap from the cabin fuse box to get the signal for a relay, and then the halos are powered directly from the battery with its own inline power/fuse box thing. At least I think that's how it was.

I snapped off that metal piece on the left, under the black ring, outside the silver ring.

painted housings w/ hi-temp paint for plastic.

Always mount & test before putting lenses back on.

used the old adhesive and added some silicone to seal

light is more balanced than in the pic of course.

My new running lights. so much better than the high beams on 5% power or whatever.

5700k bulbs. Look blue from this angle/lighting, but it's a nice white.

Last edited by Trauma714; 01-19-2023 at 10:16 PM. Reason: wiring, quality concerns.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:48 PM
Installed the short shifter. I think it was from a CRZ, but guy said he removed it from a FIT, however it did NOT fit without modification. I had to file/enlarge the cable mount holes slightly, not a big deal, but I also had to file/shave the white bushing because it wouldn't pop into the fit's shifter cables. Sorry I don't have any pics somehow, but i just got sandpaper and rubbed it all around the ball until it popped into the socket on the shifter cable.

I freaking LOVE shifting now. The only issue is with my new shift 'lever' hits the a/c controls if I put my hand on top instead of grabbing it like a lever, so I got another metal weighted shift knob and that's great too, but I really wanted the super high shifter next to the wheel for funzies. Oh well, someday I'll get another short shifter when I have a spare $500 to drop lol.

My hand hits the climate controls if I put it on top, unfortunately D:

Much better, click-click. Feels great, I don't even have the acuity shifter bushings or anything and I don't think i'll get them.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:00 PM
Was still a bit difficult getting the tranny into 1st at times....maybe like every 10 stops I'd have to go 2nd-1st or clutch out clutch in-> 1st. Super annoying especially when you're at the front of traffic. So after research on here I decided to go with Royal Purple Synchromax (ROY01512) tranny fluid. I also go the slippery pete fluid pump 8cc and it is the best- I'll use this thing until it breaks!

I always recommend opening the FILL hole before opening the DRAIN hole...since this one time doing my a rear diff I couldn't get the fill open after draining....it was trouble hahaha.

Fill hole was 17mm I think.
Drain hole was just the bare ratchet head, 3/4?

the 'third hand' attachment was the best- it holds the tube inside the hole so you don't have to reach your arm up there while pumping.

I fill until it's coming out of the fill hole. button it all up and you're good to go!

Shifting feels good now, haven't gone too hard on it yet, and so far I haven't been UNABLE to get it into 1st, but occasionally it is still notchy getting it in gear. I think these trannies are just...not the best w/ 1st gear?