3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KayakPaddler
My oil change will not be done by Honda - the closest dealership is two hours away - but by my trusted local mechanic. Is this splash shield problem something I should mention to him? Do the 2016 models have the same problem - or is it too soon in the model year?
It wouldn't be a bad idea to give them a heads up and you double check their work. The oil change on the fit is so easy so I think I'll be doing it myself in the future. The first was done free at the dealership and later on I noticed they forgot one of the front 4 screws. I used a zip tie till I could source a screw and clip

Old 04-24-2016, 06:08 PM
I understand there are 3 guys who are filing a lawsuit against Honda. Honda says it is not a safety issue, so they refuse to fix it. If it falls off completely and goes flying behind you and hits another car, how is that not a safety issue?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry Honda has such a bad design on the lower cover. Just another problem to work around. Mine has not fallen off yet and is in perfect shape hanging on the wall in my shop. LOL

James

Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 PM
The cover serves the purpose of protecting the wires and connections from water damage on wet roads. My last car also had the thing fall off, and the electrical problems just mounted afterwards. I would suggest you take if off the wall.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GE Anderson
The cover serves the purpose of protecting the wires and connections from water damage on wet roads.
I bet it also improves to the car's aerodynamic properties and increases fuel efficiency.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
For the record, the shield on my Fit was solid until the first oil change. A month or so afterward I was going 70 or so on a VERY windy day and suddenly heard this god-awful noise ... got it to repeat a few times then it just went away. When I looked later (thought fer sure it was something in my front end: wheels, brakes, suspension, etc.) I saw that the shield disconnected in one corner and dipping kinda low, figured it was scraping on the pavement. I haven't heard a sound since that day, before or after I got the shield reconnected at the dealer.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think the biggest issue is dat the car uses only like 6 tapping screws + the junk tabs instead of machine screws with bigger j-clips (nuts). my other cars all run these lower shrouds and they use 12 machine screws to mount the shroud. i have NEVER had an issue with them. the only time a screw fell off was after the dealer did a free oil change. the shroud had 11 other screws still holding the cover so no issue, but dat was the last time i visited a dealer for service.

when i did the GK's oil change the other week, i was kinda amazed at the hardware honda used on their shroud..was like junk.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I've considered switching them to Dzuz fasteners.. and adding a riveted on piece of sheetmetal around each hole.. Its an FRP composite near as I can tell....

Dave
I happen to like Dzus fasteners. Quick, easy, and positive. My Scion has full wheel disks held on only by a single central Dzus fasterner and they have been secure for 180,000+ miles

However, Dzus fasteners are only as good as the material that they are attached to. If the plastic is as flimsy as Honda's usual effort then the plastic will likely flex before the Dzus' spring wire!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
What's the proper way to remove those two rear fasteners? Are they screws or do they just pull out?
I went to do my first oil change and I didn't see how to disconnect those fasteners, other than forcing them out - and I didn't want to do that.

Last edited by max503; 05-01-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by GE Anderson
I understand there are 3 guys who are filing a lawsuit against Honda. Honda says it is not a safety issue, so they refuse to fix it. If it falls off completely and goes flying behind you and hits another car, how is that not a safety issue?
My splash shield also (partially) came off at hwy speeds so I'm not trying to defend Honda, but I see why Honda doesn't consider this as a safety issue. And I bet NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) also would agree with Honda. The reason why this is not a safety issue is because the involved part is not directly related to the safety such as steering, brakes, etc.
Regardless, Honda should man up and fix this issue because it's just a mickey mouse poor design that pisses off so many of their customers. I hope AHMC is reading this and do something about it not only for the future model year Fit but for all 2015+ Fit owners at no charge (highly doubt).

Old 05-03-2016, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Mine fell off before the first oil change, I was about 30% oil life, the dealer replaced most of the screws which were missing. When I changed the Oil I placed thread locker on all the threads of all the screws. I just redid it when I changed the oil 2nd time

Last edited by Carsmak; 02-03-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
I changed my oil the other day and will keep an eye on the slash shield to see if it stays on.
From the way it looked, I don't see how it's any worse than my wife's Fusion. That takes 2 nut drivers to remove the shrouds. I prefer the Honda's system.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
What's the proper way to remove those two rear fasteners? Are they screws or do they just pull out?
I went to do my first oil change and I didn't see how to disconnect those fasteners, other than forcing them out - and I didn't want to do that.
The rear fasteners consist of a screw and a square "holder" with "prongs" that are forced apart when the screw is tightened. To remove them, you loosen the screw and back it out about 1/4-3/8 inch (no need to remove it completely), then pull the entire fastener out.

While it's out, inspect the retention prongs for damage. If any prongs are missing or damaged, replace the fastener. Here's where I think the problem arises. The dealer changes the oil, the tech reuses a damaged fastener because the dealer has none in stock. I suspect this because when I wanted a replacement for one of mine, my dealer had to order it. If I'd taken the car to them to have the oil changed, what do you think they would have done? Right!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know the part number for the fasteners? Might as well stock up before my first oil change.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Does anyone know the part number for the fasteners? Might as well stock up before my first oil change.
91514-TG1-T01

I just ordered 6 from the dealership at .60 each to cover my next 3 oil changes. Picking them up tomorrow.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
91514-TG1-T01

I just ordered 6 from the dealership at .60 each to cover my next 3 oil changes. Picking them up tomorrow.
Thanks. Is this them? They look pretty weak, even just against gravity for a thin piece of plastic. No wonder they pull out.

Originally Posted by Brian Jones
I have changed my oil three times now, and each time I carefully tightened all the fasteners, paying special attention to the two weak expansion fasteners in the back. But even with my careful work, one fell out and let the plastic droop. I pondered putting in new expansion fasteners in the back, but I didn't feel comfortable, given what had happened. So I zip-tied the two rear connection points. Zip ties are very strong, and cheap. I will cut them off and put on new ones at every oil change. My mind is at peace now because I know the zip ties will hold. I used 3/16" wide, black zip ties, but I think 1/8" wide ones would also hold well. There are two holes sufficiently close together in the metal underbody where the expansion fastener is located. Thread the zip tie up through one, reach around the top side and thread it down through the other hole (not easy, but entirely possible with a modicum of patience). Then thread the zip tie through the plastic panel and zip it closed. Drive with confidence; sleep easy.
Or maybe I'll go with Brian.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 05-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a bag of 100 off eBay for 6 bucks..

Old 05-04-2016, 05:24 PM
All i can say is i can't wait till i paid off enough to trade in this car for the most part the car has been great I'm about to hit 30k and for the 2nd time the splash shield is coming off again this time its only in one corner but i have a feeling it will be more soon. the first time it fell off the dealer was arguing with me saying it would cost me $300 to get it fixed i said just take it off i don't need it low and behold they fixed it for free said the next time it happened i would have to pay and sure enough it rained pretty hard here in florida and the right corner is hanging off. i don't have a jack so i can't get under neath and fix it so I'm gonna go to the dealer see what they say. but like i said I'm done with the car.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hitman1614
All i can say is i can't wait till i paid off enough to trade in this car for the most part the car has been great I'm about to hit 30k and for the 2nd time the splash shield is coming off again this time its only in one corner but i have a feeling it will be more soon. the first time it fell off the dealer was arguing with me saying it would cost me $300 to get it fixed i said just take it off i don't need it low and behold they fixed it for free said the next time it happened i would have to pay and sure enough it rained pretty hard here in florida and the right corner is hanging off. i don't have a jack so i can't get under neath and fix it so I'm gonna go to the dealer see what they say. but like i said I'm done with the car.
As you can see, I'm next door in Dunedin. Who's your dealer? Courtesy Palm Harbor is mine, and so far I'm happy. But in case I need to go to them with the same issue...although after 2 years I'm still having no issues, of any kind.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Some of the fasteners on the GD go plastic into plastic. so if its horsed out by someone who doesn't care the holes get roveled out and they don't stay in any more.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?