3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
For some reason the price on this item 74110-T5R-A10 COVER ASSY., ENGINE (LOWER) used to be $256 through Hondaautomotiveparts.com and now is $103.00. I wonder what happened? Regardless, I ordered a new one at that price for mine.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
It is time for affected Fit owners to start writing Honda HQ about the splash shield issue to get refunds

NHTSA Vehicle Complaint Form
Excellent idea and information!

Mine came loose when cruising at 70+ mph on interstate hwy at #1 lane, and it made a terrifying noise. Thought it was something really bad, and I had to make a quick maneuver to pull over to the shoulder by crossing 3 lanes which was hair rising. Once pulled over, I had to crawl underneath the car trying to reattach the 1/3 torn engine splash guard while other cars, trucks & semis are passing by me at 60-70 mph. Now, that's even more scary.

Yes, the oil change was done by me like a few days before. I've been doing my own oil changes for last 35 years and not even once engine splash guard came off like this. There is an inherent design defect on the engine splash guard fastening mechanism of the Fit.

If this problem has not happened to you yet, it will happen sooner or later.

Manufacturers would not do anything unless we consumers complain hard.
Crying babies get milk!
Squeaky wheels get oiled!

Fill out the NHTSA form!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carrier
I have no idea where it is on the civic or other cars, but the FIT's gas tank is underneath the drivers seat - wouldn't removing that shield make it vulnerable to being hit with road debris?
Not bloody likely. Just how would a piece of soft, weak plastic under the engine protect a fuel tank located above and two feet behind it?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Well add me to the list of Florida drivers who have there shield come loose. .I was on my way to the gig yesterday in Ft Meyers and when I touched 80 or so we heard a slight noise. Kathys drummer looked under and took a picture on my phone and it looks like the rear 2 pins fell out. I'll be at the dealership in a few hours to have them look at it. I'll give yall a after action report. I drove back ( 250 miles) keeping it below 70 and never heard it vibrating and did get 6 MPG better milage.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
From now on, I will consider the two rear pins a "wear" part, and replace them every time I remove the cover. They're cheap enough, even through the dealer.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
It was fairly painless at the dealership. .2 hours and a $25.00 charge. My wife says to make sure that they use new pins/screws when they do the next oil change. The service manager told me most problems are caused by running over parking lot dividers. .I'm just glad it didn't catch on anything backing up or having it fall off at 75 to 80 mph on I-75. I do think that Honda should have a fix or at least a service bulletin. At only $25.00 charge I don't think it was worth fighting for but I might have felt different if I had to pay hundreds more. I forgot to tell them not to wash it as I prefer to do it myself but they did a great job. I buy new just to avoid problems like this but fortunately it was not that big of a deal.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 PM
I-75 got another one

I was on I-75 yesterday as well down here in Florida from Fort Myers to Tampa. This is the second time my splash shield fell off as well. Can't trust a Honda manufacturer to do anything right my splash shield has fallen off twice, two recalls, and two clear coat spots going bad. I thought Honda's were built to last forever!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
From now on, I will consider the two rear pins a "wear" part, and replace them every time I remove the cover.
Hmm.
Does that mean these pins are more like one-time use only?
I thought it was a finicky locking mechanism that doesn't lock solidly unless it was done in a certain way...

Old 02-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by jgibbs913
I thought Honda's were built to last forever!
IMO, that Honda's repuation was earned mainly from the longivity of the engines of their 80's and 90's cars, specially when American auto manufacturers were making really junk cars with problematic engine AND other non-engine related parts. I've had Honda products from early 80's among other brands but their quality of non-engine related parts was about the same as that of other brands.
Honda needs to try harder if they want to continue to keep that reputation because others have caught up tremendously in a last decade or so.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Honda reliability has a lot of myth and legend attached..

If you look at the industry numbers in the trade mags (Motors/JD Power etc) they do very well to about 100K miles then fall off hard, especially their Niche vehicles like the Ridgeline.

Most of the Japanese marques are similar on power train issues after 80K miles.

Many Ford/GM/Dodge cars catch back up after 80 K and beat the "import" brands.

Hey they are statistics,,, and we all know they can say anything..

Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 PM
This happened to me, don't remember if it was after an oil change but the dealer put it back on with out any questions.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 PM
I just changed my oil today and there was only 4 screws plus two clips. 2 screws are missing.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazman
Hmm.
Does that mean these pins are more like one-time use only?
I thought it was a finicky locking mechanism that doesn't lock solidly unless it was done in a certain way...
They CAN be re-used if they're not damaged, but, being made of plastic, they're easily damaged from being overtightened at installation. I lost one of my plastic clips when I hit a cat. When I went to do an oil change, I found the other one holding but broken. Whether from over-zealous tightening at the factory, or road damage, I can't say for sure. Had I reused it, it would have likely failed after a time. I plan on having spares on hand when I change my oil. Just good practice as far as I'm concerned. Especially so, since this is a known issue.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:45 PM
I had mine fall off after getting my oil changed under a complimentary service plan. Dealership wanted to charge me for it. I declined and fixed it myself. Nbd.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
This truly seems like a "belt and suspenders" situation. Adding some wire ties would be an excellent safety net for when the Honda fasteners fail. I have yet to do an oil change, but when I do, I plan to evaluate the possibility of substituting fail-proof fasteners. In the meantime, I will peek under my car to be sure the shield is still well-attached.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've considered switching them to Dzuz fasteners.. and adding a riveted on piece of sheetmetal around each hole.. Its an FRP composite near as I can tell....

Dave

Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I've done four oil change myself. Rear plastic fasteners are a bit of a PITA, but they work.

I drive to work around 5:30 am in the dark on an unlit interstate. Posts of less than optimal headlight lighting are present and agreed. Was changing lanes.. I always look over my shoulder.. blinker on.. turned around my left shoulder.. no one there, start turning, look back around... deer carcass about 20 yards in front of me.. can't take evasive maneuver.. grit teeth.. high center carcass..

THUD!!!

Feel it in front end hard.. can feel in both feet.. but don't "lift" car...

Cover is fine.. can see scratches.. but still in place..

Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
From now on, I will consider the two rear pins a "wear" part, and replace them every time I remove the cover. They're cheap enough, even through the dealer.
Uncle Gary, do you have the Honda P/N for the 2 back screws?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
My oil change will not be done by Honda - the closest dealership is two hours away - but by my trusted local mechanic. Is this splash shield problem something I should mention to him? Do the 2016 models have the same problem - or is it too soon in the model year?

Old 02-27-2016, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lausy
Uncle Gary, do you have the Honda P/N for the 2 back screws?
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~clip~cover~lower~91514-TG1-T01.html

I bought replacements cause on one of the little "ears" broke off. I know it's only a matter of time and it's so inexpensive.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a loose engine splash shield under their car?