3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

2015 White Orchid paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:47 PM
ive got about ten paint chips, not including all the places that were missing paint from the factory.
Or the streaks on the trunk that are under the clear coat.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM
What color is your Fit? When I get a lawyer I will post that I have. I am old enough to have had a lot of cars already in my life, and I have never had paint chips like this. I think it's important to take it to the dealer and lodge a complaint to build the 'numbers' that Honda needs to see so they will consider it a 'known' issue. I have seen other new Fits with no chips, so clearly it's a batch problem.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Sunset, our of curiosity, what is the build date of your Fit? Mine is 9/14, and no chips so far (800 miles), but I'll keep an eye out.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM
jhn
If someone asked this already, I apologize: anyone know the paint code for white orchid pearl?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
If someone asked this already, I apologize: anyone know the paint code for white orchid pearl?
PAINT-PEN-FIT | Honda Touch-Up Paint Pen (Fit) - Bernardi Parts
Oddly enough, missing that color!?

But, this next link is where I've ordered (in AZ):
2015 Honda FIT|
08703-NH788PAH-2P PAINT *NH788P* (WHITE ORCHID PEARL)

Old 03-29-2015, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I found the first paint chip on the "A" pillar today. Still not sure it's the fault of the paint, as whatever hit me hit hard enough to dent the steel. In fact it's not really a chip as much as a gouge.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
I too have a '15, LX, in Orchid White. From what I understand about white paints is that titanium dioxide is used as a pigment, and this makes white paints "hard". This makes it more resistant to scratches, but because of the hardness, makes it more brittle, and tends to flake-off when damaged. Not sure if it's clear coated, though. I'll ask my auto detailing buddy on how do decode Honda's paint code.

My Fit is still less than a month old, and thus far no rock chips. But rock chips are inevitable and I know that I will receive quite a few in the upcoming days.

Rock chips, and the damage they cause, are sometimes unavoidable and out of one's control. What I can control, however, are the routes I choose to take for work, and who I choose to follow. (or more correctly, NOT to follow) LOL.

I stay up-to-date on road construction and avoid areas where resurfacing is being done and find alternate routes. I also avoid following big rigs and other larger cars, such as trucks and SUVs as much as possible. Most of the rock chips I've gotten on my various cars in the past have ALWAYS come from these larger vehicles.

I'm hoping that the OP will be able to solve his paint problems. I hope to avoid having this issue, as I plan on keeping my present Fit for at least the next 3-5 years.

Happy Driving, everyone!
-Ross

Last edited by rossmeister; 04-15-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Sunset, our of curiosity, what is the build date of your Fit? Mine is 9/14, and no chips so far (800 miles), but I'll keep an eye out.

Mine was built in 10/14 and so far no chips on my White EX...checking it daily.

tons of bird sh** though.

haha- must be nesting season.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by sunsetswimmer
So, was really excited to buy my new FIT as you can imagine. Seemed to be the perfect car for me and the dogs. Within a week I noticed chipping paint on the hood. Then the mirrors, front bumper. I also noticed that rocks loved my windshield! I have at least 6 chips in my windshield and I don't live in a weather heavy state, I live in California! I am older and have owned many cars in my life. I have lived in different climates, even the desert where the windshield will definitely be sand blasted, but never have I had paint chip off! I walk through parking lots and never see on any car ( all ages, all makes )what I see on mine. I have had this car now for a little over 2 months and am miserable.
I contacted the dealer, went in and the Service Manager took a few photos and never got back to me. I did get a new survey in my email at the time so complained about the finish. Wouldn't you know I got an email the next morning. He said that there were no 'known' issues and that I could buy a bra for my new car to help protect it. What???? I was furious. I am furious. I told him I have more new chips since then. He offered up an apology on the phone and said his new district manager would be in sometime this month and he would have him take a look at it.
Nothing so far. I am ready to call a lawyer. I know paint finishes etc and this is flawed. The chips all the way down to the undercoat which would require either that the car be stripped and repainted or filled. Nix on the fillers!
One of the reasons I bought this car was because of it's resale value! That is doomed at this point. I am going to do more research on the 'powder coat' they are using on these cars and powder coats in general. Curing, moisture in the air, temperature are all part of the chemistry. Is my car from some bad batch or is this a one at a time process? I just want them to buy this back from me at this point. I just don't see any way I am not going to be hassling with a dealer and Honda for the rest of this cars life !!
If you have that many chips, including the windshield, it most likely comes from driving too close to the car in front of you. I had that problem with my '10 Fit, and with my '15, backed off further...no chips

Last edited by Stingray; 04-15-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM
I've got a '15 White Orchid Fit and have noticed paint peeling off around the edges of the rear spoiler.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by gn350
I've got a '15 White Orchid Fit and have noticed paint peeling off around the edges of the rear spoiler.
That should be a warranty issue. Different from front end stone chips

Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Well have had my 2015 lx white orchid Fit for about a month and a half now have about 2500 miles on it. I gave it the first wash today and noticed clear coat runs on the back hatch where the fit logo is. Also a dull circle of paint on the bumper about the size of a quarter. I called Honda of America to address my concerns they said to have the dealer I bought it from take a look at it and if I'm not happy with or satisfied to open a case up with them to seek further actions.

They also looked to make sure there was no recalls on it which there wasn't. My previous 2010 honda civic lx coupe had paint issues with the hood and they actually repainted the hood but thats because it was chipping off.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say, my guess is they won't do anything until its much worse :/

Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Got a couple of chips (very small) on the front bumper area on my white EX after a little over a week, but I commute I-5 1-1.5 hours each way, every day, so this isn't anything I didn't expect. Put a fresh coat of wax on over the weekend and haven't seen anything new show up in the last few days. A good wax does wonders for keeping the small chips away. Thinking about a clear bra, but I heard you aren't supposed to wax with the clear bra and I worry about difference in wear/sun fading over time due to that.

Last edited by thedrummingfish; 05-06-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry you guys are having so many issues. I just hit 3400 miles and just got my first chip and I drive 65 miles everyday

Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Well heard back from the dealer today after I went there and they took photos and sent them to Honda. Will be bringing the car in for them to repaint the hatch and bumper free of charge

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Car went in for paint this past Monday and just got it back today, paint looks be to flawless now on the hatch and rear bumper. Dealer was great besides Honda not providing a lease car for being in the shop for four days, everything else was covered by Honda and no cost to me. Hopefully the rest of the car has no paint issues in the future.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:28 PM
My white GK has no issues what so ever and I drive in traffic a lot. Its been a month since I got it so well see.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Helistyle
Car went in for paint this past Monday and just got it back today, paint looks be to flawless now on the hatch and rear bumper. Dealer was great besides Honda not providing a lease car for being in the shop for four days, everything else was covered by Honda and no cost to me. Hopefully the rest of the car has no paint issues in the future.
Gladnit worked out.

All 5s please now for their survey. lol

Old 06-06-2015, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
interesting, i should try to get my rear hatch repainted. its like the upper portions under the ledge was barely painted. you can almost see the bare metal underneath. the clearcoat is also very crappily done, with dripping paint streaks down the hatch. ugh.

ive been tempted to get the RS spoiler and was going to get the hatch fixed at the same time.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Some, post pictures please. What is all this fuss people are talking about?

Quick Reply: 2015 White Orchid paint issues