3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

2015 White Orchid paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by sunsetswimmer
I contacted the dealer, went in and the Service Manager took a few photos and never got back to me.
I, too, have a white orchid pearl for almost 2 month with mostly city driving. Do not notice any paint chip or imperfection.
Could you upload some photos? Also, are you a haavy tailgater?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
I wonder if these paint issues are just affecting the white orchid pearl. Anyone else have this problem?
I have a black EX 5 months old with a couple of chips in the hood. I'm not a tail gater. I figured it was the shape of the car that was the issue.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
2015 LX. Been driving for three weeks. 697 miles. Haven't made a payment yet. Paint chip on the driver side door, near the lip of the window. Modern Steel metallic. Not happy about it.

Last edited by bklynrickel; 03-01-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:24 PM
waxing....

Originally Posted by NotBlake
My comment was with regards to the roof rust, not paint chips. Of course wax/sealant isn't going to protect your paint from rocks.
I probably haven't waxed often enough, but I do it every few months or so. Yes, it's kept outside, unfortunately. Don't have a whole lotta choice.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by validivee
I probably haven't waxed often enough, but I do it every few months or so. Yes, it's kept outside, unfortunately. Don't have a whole lotta choice.
Good factory paint should have no problem lasting a decade or more without waxing. In fact, waxing can reduce paint life by physically wearing the paint.

The polar white paint on my Scion is fine after 11 years without waxing. The white paint on my VW bus is still intact, except for a couple of repaired rock dings, after 44 years. Both have spent most of their life outside in the SoCal sun.

While I don't expect modern paint to match the longevity of the Old School VW paint it should last a couple of decades at least.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Good factory paint should have no problem lasting a decade or more without waxing. In fact, waxing can reduce paint life by physically wearing the paint.

The polar white paint on my Scion is fine after 11 years without waxing. The white paint on my VW bus is still intact, except for a couple of repaired rock dings, after 44 years. Both have spent most of their life outside in the SoCal sun.

While I don't expect modern paint to match the longevity of the Old School VW paint it should last a couple of decades at least.
Thank you...I'm so curious to see what the Honda people have to say now. I think you're absolutely right.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 AM
I also have never waxed my cars and have not seen any paint issues, even with all the road salt we get here. The clear coat put on cars nowadays is much more resistant to fading and weathering than in the past.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Angry White Orchid Paint Problems Update!!!

So after a few emails, phone calls back and forth my Honda Dealer service manager arranged a meeting with the Honda Company representative today. I washed the car this morning so it was clean, and noticed some of the chips have grown, no longer 'circles' but 'rectangles' since Sunday (today is Friday!!!). I showed up and the Rep looked at the car and kept saying, well, it didn't happen in the factory so it wasn't covered under factory warranty. Okay, yeah, uh duh. That does not mean it isn't a defect. Still, out of the kindness of their hearts they were willing to kick in half the cost on a repaint. I was like, are you kidding? This car is barely 3 months old and I'm supposed to shell out more money to repaint it? He made it clear that this isn't a 'known issue'. So I said, oh I see, so it's a numbers game. So clearly Honda doesn't even care enough to collect the data? I am unhappy. Told him, 'No thank you', I wasn't interested in their 'deal' ,and that I would talk to a lawyer instead. I will do that first thing on Monday AND I am going to document the paint weekly when I wash it. I am going to suck it up and let the paint job 'wear' naturally and let any other quality issues emerge so that it can be well documented. It may take months for Honda to admit they have major quality control issues from the Mexico plant, but I'm patient. Sadly I would have to say stay away from the 2015 Fit until they iron out their manufacturing problems.
Might start a Social Media campaign to get these issues out into the open before people spend their hard earned money and end up disappointed.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
i thought they did admit to having paint issues from Mexico sparking them to delay initial shipment and recall cars to be repainted before they were released.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Nope, hate tailgaters. I think I am a good driver, very aware of other vehicles, trucks etc. I drive a divided highway on my commute, not a freeway, so generally two lanes of same way, parallel traffic. I think it's really about when and where your car as painted. The process of 'powder coating' is so different than assembly line painting. See my update to my original post for more.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 PM
well according to the Honda rep today, 'It's not a known issue', thus I'll resort to using a lawyer.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by sunsetswimmer
well according to the Honda rep today, 'It's not a known issue', thus I'll resort to using a lawyer.

Ummm...isn't a lawyer going to cost you more than halfsies?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Lemon Law Lawyers work on commission. I'm not looking to get rich, I'm trying to make things right for me and others. Where's the logic in paying half to rectify a defect??

Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 AM
Throughout the years, I've noticed that some white cars from Toyota and Mazda shed their paint very easily, sometimes in large sheets. It seems to mainly happen to white cars. I had a 1992 323 and a 2000 Corolla. While my cars did pretty well, especially the Toyota, some others on the road had serious paint issues.

Paints seem to have certain properties specific to colors. Red and yellow fade quickly, while black and green rarely show signs of sun damage. I have noticed the flaking problem mainly from white and beige cars.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Paint chip #2 at 1200 miles.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PearlFit
Throughout the years, I've noticed that some white cars from Toyota and Mazda shed their paint very easily, sometimes in large sheets. It seems to mainly happen to white cars. I had a 1992 323 and a 2000 Corolla. While my cars did pretty well, especially the Toyota, some others on the road had serious paint issues.

Paints seem to have certain properties specific to colors. Red and yellow fade quickly, while black and green rarely show signs of sun damage. I have noticed the flaking problem mainly from white and beige cars.

I've not observed this with white paint that I've seen. Then again, I haven't really been looking. However, I've had terrible luck with anything painted bright blue. Both my '92 Dodge Shadow and my Schwinn bicycle had bright blue paint that would chip if you looked at it funny. In the four years I had the Dodge, You couldn't count the number of chips on the hood. I saw the car again a year after I sold it and by then, the paint was peeling from the primer in sheets. That's the reason, right or wrong, that I wouldn't consider a blue Fit.

I guess the moral of the story is that this isn't unique to Honda or to new paint formulations, but has happened from time to time with other makes/colors, too.

And yes, I just bought a "white orchid pearl" Fit.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM
I've had my White EX for 5 days and already got a little chip on my hood. I went outside and checked it out after reading this post. I don't tailgate but Oklahoma's roads are some of the worst ever and there is always debris flying from the ground. I'll try to wax it and see if it comes off, but it seems like it's a deep one even though it's tiny. I hope Honda is not sacrificing quality on purpose. This is a big no no for me.

Last edited by USMC_FIT; 03-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by NotBlake
This is an issue with most new cars and their eco-friendly and cost concious paint. Get a clear bra or leave 3 seconds of following distance. Buy a bottle of touch-up paint.
Yup! I've had mine about a month now and I leave about 3-4 car lengths ahead of me at all times, not a single rock chip yet (fingers crossed) and I see a lot of semis on my way to and from work each day

Old 03-17-2015, 03:20 PM
This makes me incredibly paranoid. Just picked mine up (also in white) last week.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, it's not just following too close. There's also the trucks/cars you meet coming the other way. No way to avoid that. My Harley still has a small dent in the front fender from a rock that fell off a truck going the other way.

This time of year, I worry more about hitting a deer. The excess salt residue on the road is drawing them to the roads, where they lick the salt off the grass and pavement.

Stone chips are annoying, but inevitable. A deer can destroy the car, and mess you up pretty badly in the bargain.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 03-20-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 White Orchid paint issues