3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Ignore miles, follow Oil Life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by s0x
something kind of interesting to consider is that according to law even a "full synthetic" is actually just a synthetic blend. there was a big court case about this between mobil and castrol. so unless your oil is actually 100 percent synthetic its not a full. with the exception of i think mobil one actually but even then I'm not sure what the formulation these days is. that being said
5 mile oil change interval ftw
Doesn't really matter what the oil is made out of, as long as oil analysis says the oil is good to go?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Doesn't really matter what the oil is made out of, as long as oil analysis says the oil is good to go?
^^^ That's right.

Over-the-road truckers use oil analysis because the capacity is so large (see stembridge's comment )

I keep really good records on my CR-V (it is used for business) and motor oil is a small cost compared to things like tires, insurance, and depreciation.

If you don't feel like paying for the cost of an oil analysis, then just visit BobIsTheOilGuy.com and search for someone else's test of motor oil on a Fit. You will see that the MM is quite adequate for determining oil life.

PS: Always remember that Honda recommends changing oil every year if the MM doesn't signal the need. That's because short trip usage introduces contaminants that are not "baked out" of the oil by the warmth of the engine.

Last edited by Carbuff2; 01-18-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM
It amazes me how we ever changed oil in anything prior to having an oil life monitor.
I follow the manual and change it as close to reasonably achievable at the recommended interval or earlier. I seldom ever exceed 6,000 to 7500 mi on an oil change.
My personal piece of mind.
An on life monitor to me is just another example of wasteful and unnecessary expenditure that ups the price of a vehicle.
I get in a vehicle and the oil life monitor shining brightly in all it's useless glory.

I never understood why on earth anyone would go through the trouble of pulling and oil sample and paying to have it sent away to a place like Blackstone to have it analyzed.
With the effort, time, and money spent obtaining an oil analysis, you could've just changed it??????

Old 01-18-2015, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cuemark8
I never understood why on earth anyone would go through the trouble of pulling and oil sample and paying to have it sent away to a place like Blackstone to have it analyzed.

With the effort, time, and money spent obtaining an oil analysis, you could've just changed it??????

^^^ Very true, which is why I recommended looking at others already posted on BITOG.

I'll note that our '07 with 105K miles is clean as a whistle under the valve cover, no varnish, and that is through running synthetic oil at 150% of the car's MM. (We let the WRENCH turn on, then change the oil @ 50% at the MM)

Now, I just noticed this post was in the GK (Gen3) forum. The 2015+ Fit recommends 0W-20, does it not? (In North America)

If that is the case, the MM is calibrated for Synthetic or at least, semi-synthetic.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by cuemark8
It amazes me how we ever changed oil in anything prior to having an oil life monitor.
I follow the manual and change it as close to reasonably achievable at the recommended interval or earlier. I seldom ever exceed 6,000 to 7500 mi on an oil change.
My personal piece of mind.
An on life monitor to me is just another example of wasteful and unnecessary expenditure that ups the price of a vehicle.
I get in a vehicle and the oil life monitor shining brightly in all it's useless glory.

Because you only really have to have it analyzed once as long as you stick with the same oil and filter, you don't need to do it every oil change. You don't even really HAVE to do it. Honda did a good job of doing it before you, it's just an extra step for those who don't trust the manufacturer to scientifically verify their recommendations.

It does a good job of minimizing waste, in oil, money, and time. My intervals can range from 7k miles up to about 11k depending on how i've been driving (highway, city, grandma, teenager).

Anyway, to each their own of course, just saying the maintenance minder has been scientifically verified by third parties, and there really isn't any reason not to trust it, other than it makes you feel good inside. Provide evidence that it is not accurate, and I will be the first one to start doing mileage intervals again like I have on all my other cars for the past fifteen years.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Because you only really have to have it analyzed once as long as you stick with the same oil and filter, you don't need to do it every oil change. You don't even really HAVE to do it. Honda did a good job of doing it before you, it's just an extra step for those who don't trust the manufacturer to scientifically verify their recommendations.

It does a good job of minimizing waste, in oil, money, and time. My intervals can range from 7k miles up to about 11k depending on how i've been driving (highway, city, grandma, teenager).

Anyway, to each their own of course, just saying the maintenance minder has been scientifically verified by third parties, and there really isn't any reason not to trust it, other than it makes you feel good inside. Provide evidence that it is not accurate, and I will be the first one to start doing mileage intervals again like I have on all my other cars for the past fifteen years.
I agree. I would guess that no one has ever had an engine oil related failure due to following the MM. Anyone???