3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Battery woes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
You must also consider, even a bad battery can be used for years. Depends on vehicle use. I drive my Fit every day. I think the only time its sat for over 24 hours was when my General Altimax HPs decided to blow out the sidewall and bubble on the remaining 3 tires.

My point being, even if a cell was bad, sitting for less then 24 hours could mean it may have enough juice to start again.
If there is a bad batch of factory installed batteries you would think the last 5 digits of the VIN of cars affected would be fairly close in number (build sequence) Curious as to the VIN of those who have bad batteries and writing here.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Just checked FIT battery voltage after car sat for two days (Have NOT had any issues, yet) and reads 12.5 Vdc. When I first bought the Fit (July) I let it sit overnight on a Battery Tender to assure it was fully charged. My 5 year old, full size truck battery ("Interstate" - which sat for a solid month) reads 12.7 Vdc.

What if we could get as many people as possible to weigh in ... go out and measure ... post it in a survey? (I don't know how to create that kind of thread) The issue could be more widespread than everyone, including Honda, is aware.

Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
last 5 digits of the VIN of cars affected would be fairly close in number (build sequence) Curious as to the VIN of those who have bad batteries and writing here.
Last 5 digits of my VIN: 09403

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 09-20-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 PM
12.5 isnt bad. if it touches 11, chance it will start very slowly, but still start

Old 09-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
Just checked FIT battery voltage after car sat for two days (Have NOT had any issues, yet) and reads 12.5 Vdc. When I first bought the Fit (July) I let it sit overnight on a Battery Tender to assure it was fully charged. My 5 year old, full size truck battery ("Interstate" - which sat for a solid month) reads 12.7 Vdc.

What if we could get as many people as possible to weigh in ... go out and measure ... post it in a survey? (I don't know how to create that kind of thread) The issue could be more widespread than everyone, including Honda, is aware.
I put my 2015 FIT LX-CVT in garage at 2PM 9/20. I measured battery voltage at 7AM 9/21. It reads 12.78 volts. Car has 326 miles on it. VIN 22335.
Bill

Old 09-20-2014, 10:53 AM
In the garage for a good 14 hours - battery read 12.67V .... My Vin is in the 12000 range...

Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
I put my 2015 FIT LX-CVT in garage at 2PM 9/20. I measured battery voltage at 7AM 9/21. It reads 12.78 volts. Car has 326 miles on it. VIN 22335.
Bill
I let car stay in garage for 41 hours, battery voltage reads 12.69. I guess this seems OK. VIN 22335

Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
12.5 isnt bad.
It's not very good either, for a brand-new battery.

I'd expect a couple of tenths higher for the first 24 hours with normal parasitic loads.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:03 PM
My battery stays around 12.5 since it had gone dead. Probably did some cell damage but still does the job.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
It's not very good either, for a brand-new battery.

I'd expect a couple of tenths higher for the first 24 hours with normal parasitic loads.

a battery just sitting should read 12.6 volts. 12.5 is easily acceptable, considering the ecu maintains a very SLIGHT power draw, power lock module has a very SLIGHT draw, and any alarm setups as well.

Id be worried about the battery if it shows as 12.00 volts after less then a month.

Keep in mind it does take a while for the voltage to drop down to 12.6 if it has been running in the car. the alternator keeps the higher voltage, even if its not dishing out amperage to charge.

Periodically, our alternator is shut off to save that extra 0.02 ounces of fuel per tank lol. At that time, alternator is producing 12.3 volts.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:37 AM
Bad Battery also

Hi everybody,

I am a new Fit owner and reporting the identical issue as stated by the two previous Honda owners on this thread. The vehicle's battery was unable to start the car. I do not own a charger or cables, to called upon AAA to come and jump start the car. I drove it for about half an hour to make sure it was sufficiently charged, but only found that it would not start again later that evening. AAA returned and performed a diagnostic test on the battery. I'm unfamiliar with the terms he said that were a result of the report (notes are in the car), but in short, he said that the battery was bad.

This sucks.

Hopefully information on the thread can help me get this fixed quickly. I'll keep the thread in the loop. MikeMike, thanks for leaving the contact info of the Honda rep. I'll give that a try.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I had a honda accord plus a Civic, brand new, and this happened to me twice, so Honda exchanged it with another new one. All went well after that. Guess I got a bad battery back then.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:34 PM
To be honest, I had to have my battery replaced by the dealer. They stated it had a bad Cell.

I had a check light come on saying check charging system. Which then lead to them finding out about the battery. So far no issues.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aignaciofit09
Hi everybody,

I am a new Fit owner and reporting the identical issue as stated by the two previous Honda owners on this thread. The vehicle's battery was unable to start the car. I do not own a charger or cables, to called upon AAA to come and jump start the car. I drove it for about half an hour to make sure it was sufficiently charged, but only found that it would not start again later that evening. AAA returned and performed a diagnostic test on the battery. I'm unfamiliar with the terms he said that were a result of the report (notes are in the car), but in short, he said that the battery was bad.

This sucks.

Hopefully information on the thread can help me get this fixed quickly. I'll keep the thread in the loop. MikeMike, thanks for leaving the contact info of the Honda rep. I'll give that a try.
I can not tell from your posting if you own a new Fit or you are a new owner of an older Fit. Either way replace the battery if it is bad. They do not last forever. If it is a new Fit, then take it to the dealer for replacement under warranty. If it is a several year old Fit, take it to Costco, Sam's Club,m or Autozone and have the battery tested and replaced.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
I can not tell from your posting if you own a new Fit or you are a new owner of an older Fit. Either way replace the battery if it is bad. They do not last forever. If it is a new Fit, then take it to the dealer for replacement under warranty. If it is a several year old Fit, take it to Costco, Sam's Club,m or Autozone and have the battery tested and replaced.
2015 Honda Fit EX-L, purchased 2 months ago.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
This is like deja vu - I haven't logged for years!

I had the same issues with my battery - dead one day, and was completely unreliable. Got it tested at one dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Went on a camping trip and made sure I had a jump pack... had to jump it every time I started the car. I took it to a different dealership and they said it was a bad battery and had it replaced. About 3/4 years later, battery gave out again, but I'm told that could happen if I don't check the fluid level - replaced it with a Costco battery and it hasn't failed me since. Yeah, it was a real tight Fit *rimshot.

The funny part about this story is that I have a 2007 Fit (2015 one is being delivered ), so it seems like their battery supplier still churns out a few lemons every now and then.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
just wish Honda would get it through their heads that saving 5 or 10 pounds on a battery isn't worth the headaches they are giving their customers. Put a Group 24 battery in there and even a marginal unit will start the car and keep the customer happy. Those little motorcycle batteries are running at the edge of their abilities, particularly when modern cars are drawing more and more electrical power when the engine is off.
Our 2009 Fit OEM battery, with an in-service date of Oct 2008, died last week. That's 6 years of perfect service...in fact, it didn't even leave us stranded, but rather gave a strong warning that it was dying. The problem is not the size, but rather the lack of availability for quick replacement. We ended up buying a new Honda battery for $120...three year full replacement and 100 months. Also, any vehicle electrical drain (when parked) over and above spec (on any vehicle) is asking for a dead battery, regardless of size.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 10-07-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, there are definitely some good batteries out there - my 2nd battery lasted about the expected life time of a Honda battery (Canadian - cold winters are battery killers), but my first was definitely a total lemon. The weird part is that they seem to work fine but a cell just goes bad fairly suddenly, without much indication that it's going to go bad until it goes all the way bad.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
That does seem to be the way it works. My truck has a huge battery. One Saturday morning I went to the store...stopped for gas along the way. After getting to the store and returning to my truck to go home the door locks would not even function. Once inside my dome light would not even come on. Thought that perhaps something major had malfunctioned...but it was just the battery. Went from being able to start the truck to not even capable of running a small light bulb...in a matter of a few minutes. My next battery lasted almost 7 years.

Last year our mini-van was acting up. Van acted like the battery was dead, but yet the battery would pass a "load test"...twice. They said it just needed to be re-charged. Checked the current draw to ensure something wasn't causing a drained battery and found the van electrical system to be normal...about .01mA with everything off. About two days later the battery finally decided to fully die. New battery...no more problem.

My riding mower has a small battery. Gets very little use during winter, and with a wet summer I had to go for two/three weeks between mowing. It gets a lot of abuse...and its about four years old. Still working.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 10-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 PM
We are lucky. On some GM cars, if the battery is dead, or the relay goes out without the battery being dead, you are S O L! Gotta take the wheel and wheel well liner out to get into the trunk. NO manual release! Dumb.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:00 PM
2.5 weeks isn't an excessive time to sit with a brand new battery. You most likely have one of those bad batteries that Honda is shipping in new cars, letting their customers find out for them which ones are bad.

Don't waste your time. Call the dealer, have your car hauled in on a flatbed, and have them replace the battery. Honda caused the problem, they should have no problem paying to have it fixed.

This is a known issue to Honda as they have specially instructed dealers in a letter to retain the bad batteries from new Fits for inspection by Honda reps.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 10-10-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery woes!