3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Lot of problems after I ran over a 12" pothole at 45mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:00 AM
Question Lot of problems after I ran over a 12" pothole at 45mph

Ran over a 12" pothole at 45mph only on the front driver's side. Wrecked both my wheel and tire. Drove it home flat; steering wheel not centered, steering wheel pulling, clunking noise when pulling off, stopping and reversing, bad ride.

Diagnosed it the other day and saw that my Lower Control Arm was bent, went to the under-chassis shop and had it straightened (I didn't buy a new Lower Control Arm).
Clunking Noise was gone, the Steering Wheel was Centered, and Steering Wheel not pulling no more.

Noticed that the ride still had a bad ride and had it inspected by a more credible shop. I was told that there was no problem with the other parts on my front suspension (Tie Rod, Strut, Stabilizer, Knuckle, etc) but they told me that It's not recommended to have the Lower Control Arm straightened if it was bent and advised me to get a new one instead. *The inspection only went for 20 mins and I'm kinda worried.
Will be buying an LCA soon;

Also, the 2nd gear was suddenly hard to engage, not that it won't get in but it's stiff.

*Running a 185/60r15 (6.5 width; +40) on the front and 175/65r15 (stock wheels) on the rear after the LCA was straightened since I can't afford a new wheel and tire for now and it's hard to look for a 1 pc only wheel. I wonder if this wheel setup has cons.

Thanks! and sorry for the noob questions.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:28 AM
When you had your car in the shop, did they put it on an alignment or frame machine? It's possible that the tire, wheel, and LCA sacrificially absorbed the impact, but I would be nervous until I confirmed that there isn't additional damage. Regardless of whether there is additional damage, I would want to get the alignment checked.

Transmission shifting difficulties might indicate that a motor or transmission mount or the front subframe got tweaked in the accident.

As far as the tires go, if you're running matched 185s on the front and 175s on the rear that shouldn't cause a problem. If you're only running one 185 on the driver front (with a taller 175 on the passenger front), I personally wouldn't do that for very long because the circumferences and widths are different.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Drew21
When you had your car in the shop, did they put it on an alignment or frame machine? It's possible that the tire, wheel, and LCA sacrificially absorbed the impact, but I would be nervous until I confirmed that there isn't additional damage. Regardless of whether there is additional damage, I would want to get the alignment checked.
They didn't. I will have it checked by tomorrow
Transmission shifting difficulties might indicate that a motor or transmission mount or the front subframe got tweaked in the accident.
I hope not. My skid board only got scratches but If It bumped up hard when the accident happened, It might have touched the Shifter Cable.
As far as the tires go, if you're running matched 185s on the front and 175s on the rear that shouldn't cause a problem. If you're only running one 185 on the driver front (with a taller 175 on the passenger front), I personally wouldn't do that for very long because the circumferences and widths are different.
I did a Forward Cross Rotation and changed the remaining with my stock wheels. Yes, they are matched.

Last edited by Kiju; 10-04-2022 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Wrong Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kiju
Also, the 2nd gear was suddenly hard to engage, not that it won't get in but it's stiff.
You might wanna check the linkage where the shifter cables hook to the transmission. You need to remove the airbox assembly to see it. There is a chance that with the impact, the little clip that holds the cable to the transmission decided that they didn't want any part of this.

I had a similar experience a few years ago in my Fit. I took out the LCAs and needed to replace the front wheels and tires.... It was quite the mess. Also, shifter cables popped off the transmission... So yeah. MIGHT be possible..