3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

non-oem fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:24 PM
non-oem fuel injectors

Wonder if anyone has purchased any of the non-honda fuel injectors that are available for like $20-25 each? And has anyone replaced their own injectors?
Thanks

Old 04-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Ah, I see in the other post someone has done it themselves. I'll probably take the same route.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if it's due to "driving intensity". Here's why...Mazda had an issue with carbon buildup on the 1.3L Renesis engines - forum owners and dealers started to learn from each other about commonalities - one of them was how hard you drive the car. For the 1.3L Renesis engine - people who drove "the snot outta it" and red-lined it once a day had far fewer exhaust valve failures that led permanent loss of compression. 10 years later those that drove the car as designed - redlining it to 9K once a day have faired far better in removing carbon buildup.

Could this be happening to our cars since we tend to drive them for mpg?

I do fill-up with 93 octane + add Techron every 3K miles (and drive it hard) right before my oil change - not using that tank in my mpg statistics. Not sure if that's going to keep my injectors clean and lessen buildup. It's fun tho'.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jazu
I wonder if it's due to "driving intensity". Here's why...Mazda had an issue with carbon buildup on the 1.3L Renesis engines - forum owners and dealers started to learn from each other about commonalities - one of them was how hard you drive the car. For the 1.3L Renesis engine - people who drove "the snot outta it" and red-lined it once a day had far fewer exhaust valve failures that led permanent loss of compression. 10 years later those that drove the car as designed - redlining it to 9K once a day have faired far better in removing carbon buildup.

I do fill-up with 93 octane + add Techron every 3K miles (and drive it hard) right before my oil change - not using that tank in my mpg statistics. Not sure if that's going to keep my injectors clean and lessen buildup. It's fun tho'.
I will refer to this in my mind every time I'm redlining my GK5. I didn't buy this car for mpg, I bought it for performance (and versatility), and the fun starts at 3500 and increases together with rpm
I'm living by a highway, and it's so nice to leave our mailbox by having full throttle on 2nd gear until redline and then change to 6th as the speed limit is just conveniently exceeded.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Keep the Fit and install the catch can as others have said. I have 125k on my 18 Fit and will be doing the walnut blasting soon before installing the catch can. I’ve had check engine codes P0420 and P219A come on and off for 30,000 miles now(air to fuel ratio imbalance). I paid Honda for the fuel injector cleaning treatment but that didn’t help. They then diagnosed the issue as failed injectors so I bought a used set from a junk yard but luckily discovered this site and realize it’s probably dirty intake valves causing the issue.

I’ve always filled up with 87 Shell or Sam’s Club gas, but apparently ethanol is not good for Direct Injection engines. Check out this Consumer Reports article from 2015:

”Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline—without ethanol additives”

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ines/index.htm

Good thread on dirty intake valve issues - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-issues-4.html

Old 09-14-2020, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yellow_Pearl
Keep the Fit and install the catch can as others have said. I have 125k on my 18 Fit and will be doing the walnut blasting soon before installing the catch can. I’ve had check engine codes P0420 and P219A come on and off for 30,000 miles now(air to fuel ratio imbalance). I paid Honda for the fuel injector cleaning treatment but that didn’t help. They then diagnosed the issue as failed injectors so I bought a used set from a junk yard but luckily discovered this site and realize it’s probably dirty intake valves causing the issue.

I’ve always filled up with 87 Shell or Sam’s Club gas, but apparently ethanol is not good for Direct Injection engines. Check out this Consumer Reports article from 2015:

”Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline—without ethanol additives”

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ines/index.htm

Good thread on dirty intake valve issues - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-issues-4.html
Non-ethanol fuel is quite hard to come by these days in the US. We made that happen though our support of agricultural bills and legislation. Even Shell V-Power 93 and Mobil 93 have 10-15% ethanol as mandated by Federal and state gov. Support through purchase those dwindling retailers that sell marine gas and other non-ethanol fuels. The Minnesota Street Rod Assoc encourages this through membership and The List : https://msra.com/wp-content/uploads/...on-oxy-May.pdf

Old 09-14-2020, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
I add Techron about 1000 miles before the next oil change to clean the injectors. I also switch between TopTier and regular 87 octane. Here's hoping for no walnut blasting at 80-120K miles.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Traveller
Ah, I see in the other post someone has done it themselves. I'll probably take the same route.
What other post? I can't seem to find it?

What did they do?

Did you replace your injectors with Non OEM,

Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Jazu

Go to this link: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...k-input-5.html
Read post #83. I had injector issues, had them replaced with the "new and improved" injectors along with a full list of preventative actions. Everything was a waste IMHO, because the issues came back.
Riding hard from time to time fixed my issues and they never came back. The clogs can be undone!
Read my full posting...