3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Adjusting the parking brake cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Adjusting the parking brake cable

Adjusting the cable is simple enough. You turn the nut and.the 2 cables, the cables to both wheels are adjusted, simultaneously. I checked the "Auto Repair Source" service manual that I can access through my local public library, with my library card. Just turn the nut. There is even a picture of the cables

Pull parking brake lever (A) with 44 lbs. of force to fully apply parking brake, Fig. 1. 2. Parking brake lever should be locked within specified number of clicks. Pedal locked clicks: Six to eight clicks. 3. If number of lever clicks is not as specified, adjust parking brake.

After servicing rear brake shoes, loosen parking brake adjusting nut, ready to drive, and press brake pedal several times to set self adjusting brake before adjusting parking brake. 1. Raise and suitably support vehicle. 2. Remove center console. 3. Release parking brake lever fully. 4. Press brake pedal several times. 5. Loosen parking brake adjusting nut (A), Fig. 2. 6. Pull parking brake lever one click. 7. Tighten parking brake adjusting nut until parking brakes drag slightly when rear wheels are turned. 8. Release parking brake lever fully. 9. Inspect that parking brakes do not drag when rear wheels are turned. 10. Adjust again if required.

All this is pretty obvious and I could have figured it out myself, without the explanation in the manual. What I needed was an explanation of how to "remove the center console." That is the part where instructions and diagrams would be needed – but there were none.

Does anyone know how to remove the center console?

Also, what does "pedal locked clicks mean." And I see no reason to "raise and support vehicle." My thinking is that all I really need to do is to pump the brakes a few times while driving backwards to adjust the and center the shoes, although probably that is not really necessary, and then turn the adjusting nut so that it takes 6 to 8 clicks to get the shoes to push firmly enough against the drum to keep the car from rolling. I don't think one needs to measure the force needed to pull the lever (44 pounds), just make sure it is enough force to firmly seat the shoes against the drum so that the car won't roll. It now takes 8 to 9 clicks so my cable has stretched just a bit.

Last edited by nomenclator; 03-13-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Old 03-13-2020, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Rismo. I can't tell what I'm seeing in the photos but it says I just have to remove the rear cover. Once I do that, that should be enough for me to be able to locate and see the adjustment nut. Actually, if I don't see the nut right away, I would put the transmission in park, and I'm guessing that all I would have do was to look inside the console while pulling up or letting down on the parking brake, and look for cables that move when I do that, then follow the cables until I arrive at the adjusting nut.

Last edited by nomenclator; 03-13-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
does this work for rs fit with disc brakes at rear?

Old 11-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Check out this video. This guy is doing a ream drum to disc conversion but he shows the process of disconnecting the parking cable. Around the 17 minute mark