3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Weak AC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Weak AC?

I have had my 2010 Fit Sport since 11/10, and the 2015 Fit EXL since 9/15. Bought both new. I have always found the air conditioner to be ineffective when the interior of the car is very warm. I remember reading reviews before I bought the first one. They said that all that glass made it warm inside. Still it seems that the A/C just can't keep up.I use recirculate and only vent setting for maximum cooling. Switching to outside air, or adding the floor vents in cause the blower speed to drop way off. I always drive in eco mode though. I suppose I could try shutting that off to see if it makes a noticeable difference. I'm at a point where it's just frustrating with the warm days of summer upon us. Anyone else have issues with the air conditioner in your Fit?

Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
I just bought 17 fit. The first thing I notice is the weak AC as well. It behavior inconsistent. Sometimes it is pretty cold sometimes just barely working. I find the pattern similar to your observation. The warmer the day, the poorer the AC performs. The cooler the day, the stronger the AC performs. Damn then why do we ever use AC then??

Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
It's definitely ECO mode that's sapping the AC effectiveness.

I park in a shaded area for work so the AC doesn't have to work as hard when I leave to go home. Initially I start in recirc, then switch to fresh air after a few minutes of cooling down.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Adding the what 2Rismo said, I also use a sunshade. They keep the car a bit cooler and will also help preserve the dash. I have been using one in my Corolla for the past 36 years and the dash is still in excellent condition. It is hard to find one that will fit the large front window of the Fit. I got one of those extra large wire circle folding ones off Amazon but it isn't really large enough to stay in place. I know I have seen others made of that bubble wrap stuff with a shiny coating that fit but are pretty pricey. They don't fold down as small so they take up quite a bit of room and you have to roll them up outside the car. I bought a large roll of Reflectix wrap and will try making one myself.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Listem to the Yankees Whine

Geez, you guys, try 90+ degrees F and over 100 heat index days at a time.

Sun shield and legal tint work, but do not totally mitigate the extra head.

Take a chance and lower the windows by up to but not exceeding 1 inch. If you have a sun rood, tilt it. Risk ... rain.

Park under a shade tree. Risk ... bird dropping and certain kinds of staining fruit from said tree.

Yup, the AC on the Fit isn't going to put icicles on you nose.

And it says in the book that the ECO button cuts back on the AC. RTFI.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Limmie
Adding the what 2Rismo said, I also use a sunshade. They keep the car a bit cooler and will also help preserve the dash. I have been using one in my Corolla for the past 36 years and the dash is still in excellent condition. It is hard to find one that will fit the large front window of the Fit. I got one of those extra large wire circle folding ones off Amazon but it isn't really large enough to stay in place. I know I have seen others made of that bubble wrap stuff with a shiny coating that fit but are pretty pricey. They don't fold down as small so they take up quite a bit of room and you have to roll them up outside the car. I bought a large roll of Reflectix wrap and will try making one myself.
I also use a sunshade, see this entry: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1320415

It's custom cut so fills the windshield nicely. It folds (while I'm sitting in the driver's seat), and I just stow it between the front passenger seat and the door since no one really rides in the Fit but me. If someone needs the front see, I just toss it in the back.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Geez, you guys, try 90+ degrees F and over 100 heat index days at a time.

Sun shield and legal tint work, but do not totally mitigate the extra head.

Take a chance and lower the windows by up to but not exceeding 1 inch. If you have a sun rood, tilt it. Risk ... rain.

Park under a shade tree. Risk ... bird dropping and certain kinds of staining fruit from said tree.

Yup, the AC on the Fit isn't going to put icicles on you nose.

And it says in the book that the ECO button cuts back on the AC. RTFI.
Rain risk can be mitigated by window visors. Have them on my 4Runner, but still debating on the Fit.

I'm in VA and last I heard it was below the Mason-Dixon line

Old 06-21-2017, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Rain risk can be mitigated by window visors. Have them on my 4Runner, but still debating on the Fit.

I'm in VA and last I heard it was below the Mason-Dixon line
Yup, and Tennessee was one of the last to join the Confederacy and the first out. Yankee is a term of endearment compared to the pejorative political terms used today. I try to avoid them, even the mild ones like Rightwing and Leftwing.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, the AC does not do as well in the Fit as other cars I've been in. My friend's Scion iA blows freezing compared to the Fit. It's okay when it's been parked under the carport, but if it's outside in the sun, it takes a long time to cool down. Of course, it's Florida, but it's tinted. Must get a sunshade.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Just made a 120 round trip for groceries yesterday. Southern New Mexico. 105° F
Yeah, that AC is wimpy.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:41 AM
I currently own a 3rd-Gen Fit in China, where it's about 86F but the sun is still burning my skin through the car windows.

I noticed that my Fit's AC is weak too. And here is how I'm trying my best to make it better:

Sunshade for the ridiculously huge front window;
Tinted windows for both backseats' sides, moonroof, and back window;
After open the car door, first thing always lower the windows/open moonroof to let the extremely hot heat goes out;
Turn on the engine, wait a min then turn on the AC, with outside air(because the air inside of the car is hotter), no floor vent(I noticed the floor vent for the driver's side is not even cold, but it's cool on the passenger 's side);
Drive for a mile so with windows open, then close the windows and switch to recirculate air.

Last thing...The harder I hit on the gas, the cooler the AC is ......seems reasonable, or not?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
AC compressor runs off motor so yes at lower RPMs it's not running as strong.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lawjie
I currently own a 3rd-Gen Fit in China, where it's about 86F but the sun is still burning my skin through the car windows.

I noticed that my Fit's AC is weak too. And here is how I'm trying my best to make it better:

Sunshade for the ridiculously huge front window;
Tinted windows for both backseats' sides, moonroof, and back window;
After open the car door, first thing always lower the windows/open moonroof to let the extremely hot heat goes out;
Turn on the engine, wait a min then turn on the AC, with outside air(because the air inside of the car is hotter), no floor vent(I noticed the floor vent for the driver's side is not even cold, but it's cool on the passenger 's side);
Drive for a mile so with windows open, then close the windows and switch to recirculate air.

Last thing...The harder I hit on the gas, the cooler the AC is ......seems reasonable, or not?
That's pretty much my routine except the all around tint job, cannot afford it. My '08 Suzuki had the best ACC I've seen recently. Set it and go, within half a mile it was at the right temp.

A friend had a new 1970 Cobra Jet Mustang, big car, small cabin. Used the same AC unit as the full sized Ford station wagon, instant icicles.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 AM
I have a 2'd generation but the AC is by far the crappiest part on the Fit. I am spending >$800 to replace a compressor that I barely used as I live in Chicago. There are just a handful of days a year I really need it.

Even the GM Sh&tboxes my parents bought in the 90's managed to not have problems with A/C like the Fit. Honda needs to fire whoever designed it.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
My 03 Civic 292,000 miles still has the original gas in the AC, gets way colder than my 2015 FIT.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sschoe2@gmail.com
I have a 2'd generation but the AC is by far the crappiest part on the Fit. I am spending >$800 to replace a compressor that I barely used as I live in Chicago. There are just a handful of days a year I really need it.

Even the GM Sh&tboxes my parents bought in the 90's managed to not have problems with A/C like the Fit. Honda needs to fire whoever designed it.
Back when Mercedes Benz started selling cars postwar in the US, they had their own AC units. Dallas dealer had a huge number of warranty claims on them. Dealer complained and got a response for MB headquarters saying in essence, "They were designed by the finest German engineers, therefore they must be perfect."

Dealer wrote back, "Send them to Dallas for the summer."

After that summer, MBs were delivered with AC/Delco's and Hydromantic transmissions. Ya think the climate is different Dallas vs Germany?

Maybe Honda should use Sonic AC units.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Do you guys think that adding a stronger refrigerant will do the trick? I plan on doing this sometime very soon, taking a road trip to So.Cal, and will be blazing hot in July... Damnit Honda! you gotta cheapout on us on the A/C tho? smh...

Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Do you guys think that adding a stronger refrigerant will do the trick? I plan on doing this sometime very soon, taking a road trip to So.Cal, and will be blazing hot in July... Damnit Honda! you gotta cheapout on us on the A/C tho? smh...
I maybe wrong, but I don't think there is any such thing as stronger refrigerant. If there is, it might not work in the Fit's unit.

If it were only that simple.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
AC compressor runs off motor so yes at lower RPMs it's not running as strong.
Yet another argument in favor the manual trans turning 3000rpm@60mph, compared to the CVT Mine does OK here south of Knoxville, but....disclaimer...I work nights (7p to 7a), and car is garaged at when at home. We were in Gulf Shores last Sept/Oct, car was outside 24/7 and yeah, it was hot, and yeah, the AC could be stronger. Our Fit is black, with 35% tint sides and rear. I read a tip somewhere that helps initial cooling a lil is to open a back door, and use the driver's door to kind of "fan" "pump"the hot air out and suck/pump the outside air in, doing this several times or more....sure it's hot out, but not as hot as the air on the inside. And if anyone asks you what you're doing, just tell them that your wife farted in the car, you know

Old 06-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Yet another argument in favor the manual trans turning 3000rpm@60mph, compared to the CVT Mine does OK here south of Knoxville, but....disclaimer...I work nights (7p to 7a), and car is garaged at when at home. We were in Gulf Shores last Sept/Oct, car was outside 24/7 and yeah, it was hot, and yeah, the AC could be stronger. Our Fit is black, with 35% tint sides and rear. I read a tip somewhere that helps initial cooling a lil is to open a back door, and use the driver's door to kind of "fan" "pump"the hot air out and suck/pump the outside air in, doing this several times or more....sure it's hot out, but not as hot as the air on the inside. And if anyone asks you what you're doing, just tell them that your wife farted in the car, you know
I heard that tip too. but I doubt if that tip actually works, because when I get in the car after a freakin hot day, apart from feeling the hot air, all of the interior, such as the untouchable burning hot steering wheel, seat, and the skin frying seatbelt metal tip, these parts cannot get cooled down that easily by a few swings of the door.

Quick Reply: Weak AC?