3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Automatic: S Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Automatic: S Mode?

Just curious, does anyone just ever drive in S mode all the time instead of D?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:30 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by yuffers
60% S > 40% D

Or thereabout.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Never been in S mode. Drive in D

Old 08-22-2016, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
My young driver learned on a manual, so uses the S Mode in the same percentage jhn does. There's a very steep hill nearby and by shifting to 2nd, the Fit rides at a perfect speed downhill without touching the brake. I think the paddle shifters are a pretty cool feature.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
I flip it in to "S" mode when I'm merging onto the freeway and I want power on tap. Once I get settled in to a lane and speed of choice, I drop it down to "D" so I can hear myself think.

I will also use "S" anytime I need more instant response, such as going up variable pitch hills or when I want a little engine braking. For peace and quiet, back to "D".

Old 08-23-2016, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
I'm probably 30% S (mostly with paddle shifting as opposed to full "auto"), and the rest D, since I have a 45-55 minute commute either on 55mph State roads or 70mph interstate.

I use the "downshift" paddle in D to engine brake probably 50% of the time.

If I'm in a longish underpass, it's 100% S mode, and wind it out, baby! Love to hear that vtec scream through the Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust!

es

Old 08-23-2016, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
I flip it in to "S" mode when I'm merging onto the freeway and I want power on tap. Once I get settled in to a lane and speed of choice, I drop it down to "D" so I can hear myself think.

I will also use "S" anytime I need more instant response, such as going up variable pitch hills or when I want a little engine braking. For peace and quiet, back to "D".
Same here.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yuffers
i found dat S mode without using the paddles works real well in congestion as it keeps the revs in 3k range, nice engine braking, and immediate torque (if u want to call it dat).

once traffic starts moving i shift it back into D.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
I never use S any more, since using the paddles in D puts it into a "temporary S" mode. Any downshifting for passing, merging, or downhill engine braking, can be accomplished with the paddles in D mode. Maybe I'd try S on a very long downhill.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
So the *real* question I want to know is whether anyone's tried "S" and "Eco" modes at the same time! (c: Kind of think it might send you into a perpendicular universe!

es

Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
So the *real* question I want to know is whether anyone's tried "S" and "Eco" modes at the same time! (c: Kind of think it might send you into a perpendicular universe!

es
I've done it and S to me overrides ECO mode. I've tried S in ECO and non-ECO and to me it's the same performance. Though this may be Bizarro2Rismo2 typing...

I'd say I drive in S mode maybe 20% of the time. Mostly it's in D mode and I flip ECO on/off depending on the road I'm on. On my daily commute there are some long stretches that are flat and ECO is on. The hilly sections I keep ECO off as it wants to jump into higher RPMs more.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
When my wife drove a couple weeks ago, she made a comment about how touchy the throttle was (too fast!), so I told her to hit the ECO button, which solved the problem nicely.

I use ECO a lot in the winter in snow and ice, since it helps prevent wheel spin on starts.

es

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member

es
Every day!

I recently moved about 20 miles out of town and have a 100% interstate commute to work.

I've found that S-paddle mode in locked in 7th "gear", with ECO on and cruise set (usually around 70 MPH) returned the highest MPG and still provides a good amount of power for passing without a ton of downshifting.

I'm now averaging about 45 MPG on the trip computer, and 43 MPG manually calculated.

Edit: I'm also using ethanol free premium which seems to be helping as well. Its only an extra $2/tank generally and I'm getting at least an extra 50-60 miles/tank since making that switch.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
...I've found that S-paddle mode in locked in 7th "gear", with ECO on and cruise set (usually around 70 MPH) returned the highest MPG and still provides a good amount of power for passing without a ton of downshifting.
Good tips... I recently completed a 5 hr round trip trip and also found that "S" mode at speed yields a constant higher RPM. I suspect that will aid in passing which is my only issue with the CVT when it's snoozing quietly at 2500 RPM at 75mph.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member

es
my wife only uses eco mode so when i drove the one week in s-mode it was in s-mode majority of the congested commute. 40.2 mpg

Old 08-24-2016, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
When my wife drove a couple weeks ago, she made a comment about how touchy the throttle was (too fast!), so I told her to hit the ECO button, which solved the problem nicely.

I use ECO a lot in the winter in snow and ice, since it helps prevent wheel spin on starts.

es
huh, good tip. i should turn off dat eco mode when i get into the fit each and every time. i hate the sluggish starts. in s-mode (no paddles) the car responded more immediate though while in eco mode.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
I never use S any more, since using the paddles in D puts it into a "temporary S" mode. Any downshifting for passing, merging, or downhill engine braking, can be accomplished with the paddles in D mode. Maybe I'd try S on a very long downhill.
That is exactly what I do, drive 100% of the time in "D" and use the paddles to downshift all the time.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Never. I use D mode, when I go in a short downhill, hitting paddle shifter down does the job. However, I only have a year with my fit and I haven't take it to the mountains, which I probably do by the end of this year, I would use S w/o paddle uphill for more instant throttle responde and with paddle on downhill for long engine breaking.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Just tried S mode

I've had my Fit for almost 2 years and never really bothered with Sport mode until last weekend. Vrrooom!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I put mine in S mode by accident coming back from a gig with my wife right after we got and she asked me what was wrong with the car. ..

Quick Reply: Automatic: S Mode?