3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Samsung Galaxy S5 + Mirror link

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Samsung Galaxy S5 + Mirror link

anyone else have this problem with an android phone in the 2015 Fit?

So say I want to charge my phone, I plug in a USB cable, plug the other end into either of the USB Ports and ..... it doesn't charge.

Mirrorlink tries to do something and can't. the screen on my phone goes blank and doesn't come back until I unplug the USB cable.

This didn't happen when we first got the car but it started some months ago.

I don't seem to have any mirrorlink apps installed on my phone either.

I just want to charge the darn phone.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Try a 12v to USB charger instead. The USB ports only have about 1a of power.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 07-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
anyone else have this problem with an android phone in the 2015 Fit?

So say I want to charge my phone, I plug in a USB cable, plug the other end into either of the USB Ports and ..... it doesn't charge.

Mirrorlink tries to do something and can't. the screen on my phone goes blank and doesn't come back until I unplug the USB cable.

This didn't happen when we first got the car but it started some months ago.

I don't seem to have any mirrorlink apps installed on my phone either.

I just want to charge the darn phone.
I have the same phone and I think I had the same problem before when I first got the car but I'm not too sure b.c its been a while since I tried my phone in the usb port. I've been using a usb car charger. I just tried this again to see if there was anything different with ver 6.0.1 and its the same behavior as you describe. I even tried disabling mirrorlink via the application manager and that lets me use the phone but it wasn't getting a good charge from what this app was telling me. That app is not suppose to be 100% accurate but it gives a you general idea of how many amps the phone is getting. I was getting 450mA

Old 07-24-2016, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Not the problem though.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:27 PM
the USB port is NOT for charging, its for playing MP3 files from a USB flash ram.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
pretty sure that is 100% NOT true.

I can charge my phone no problem with it (Lumia) my wife was able to charge her phone with it before. It charges MP3 players even if you not using them for music. It charges portal battery packs.

I mean it charges everything I throw at it like a normal USB port does just with my wife's S5, whenever she plugs it in, the car tries to take it over and then the phone just doesn't operate anymore until you unplug it.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tinyplaces
I have the same phone and I think I had the same problem before when I first got the car but I'm not too sure b.c its been a while since I tried my phone in the usb port. I've been using a usb car charger. I just tried this again to see if there was anything different with ver 6.0.1 and its the same behavior as you describe. I even tried disabling mirrorlink via the application manager and that lets me use the phone but it wasn't getting a good charge from what this app was telling me. That app is not suppose to be 100% accurate but it gives a you general idea of how many amps the phone is getting. I was getting 450mA

how did you disable mirror link? Guess I need to check exactly what version she has.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM
pretty sure that is 100% NOT true.

I can charge my phone no problem with it (Lumia) my wife was able to charge her phone with it before. It charges MP3 players even if you not using them for music. It charges portal battery packs.

I mean it charges everything I throw at it like a normal USB port does just with my wife's S5, whenever she plugs it in, the car tries to take it over and then the phone just doesn't operate anymore until you unplug it.

I have LX 2016, not charging my phone Lumia 640, if it does it will be veeeeeeery slow

Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Not all charge cords are capable of providing maximum current. I've bought quite a few and the big thick ones are the best for full current. On my Samsung Galaxy, there is an app you can use to monitor charge current so you can try out different cords. I'm pretty sure I get more than 1 amp with the cord I use.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
again you are all not understanding.

cables and everything charged the phone no problem months ago..now it doesn't. cable doesn't matter.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the port has gone bad and time for warranty work.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
What you're saying is that at one point it just charged and now it's trying to connect. Something changed on the phone, I'd start with MirrorLink. There are a few MirrorLink threads on this forum that might give you some clues.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
how did you disable mirror link? Guess I need to check exactly what version she has.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my phone is rooted and I used LINK2SD
to disable it.

I don't know if its possible to disable it on non-rooted phones since its a system app but this is how to see it in the app manager.
Settings>Application Manager

set it to "All apps" then press the 3 dots on the top right and press "Show system apps"
It will be titled "Samsung MirrorLink 1.1".
The disable button is probably grayed out, it is for me even though I'm rooted that's why I used the app I mentioned above.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:21 PM
I've used the USB ports to charge my S5, Ithe gets buggy, sometimes it will charge, other times it won't. Other times it randomly tries to connect your mirrorlink . I just use a 12v dual USB charger and am much happier now

Old 07-31-2016, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Not all charge cords are capable of providing maximum current. I've bought quite a few and the big thick ones are the best for full current. On my Samsung Galaxy, there is an app you can use to monitor charge current so you can try out different cords. I'm pretty sure I get more than 1 amp with the cord I use.
I just confirmed that I get a full 1.9 amps with my thick charge cord and only .8 amps with my thin cord. I used the galaxy charge app that works with my S4 and shows the current charge current. The 1.9 amps also matches my high capacity original wall charger.

So bottom line, the USB port under the dash in the '15 EX is capable of at least 1.9 amps with the right cord.