3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Lamin-X rear bumper guard...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:55 AM
Lamin-X rear bumper guard...any good?

Hi there, new to the forum and new owner of a 2016 Honda Fit EX-L! I've done some searches in the forum looking for reviews on aftermarket rear bumper guards/applique but I didn't see any so I started a new thread (please let me know if there is a thread I missed...sorry!). The OEM version only comes in black which to me looks kinda ugly on a white car (personal preference I suppose). It's more annoying to know that Honda makes them in clear for their other vehicles.

I found that Lamin-X makes a version cut specifically for the 2015/2016 Honda Fit. Has anyone used this product and/or thoughts on the brand? My only fear is that this may turn that "yellow" color over time since it's clear. Help!

Here's the site: Honda Fit (15- ) Rear Bumper Guard

Thanks for the advice! This forum has been really useful especially when I decided to make the leap to buy this car.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:29 AM
That's fairly thick. The 3M film I bought was 3 mil.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
I bought some clear xpel on ebay (or amazon) and cut my own piece for the rear bumper. 18 months later it is still clear and not faded. You can't see it until you are right at the bumper and only if you look for it.

I used some additional pieces to protect the fog lights and behind the door handles to protect from ring scratches.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Thanks for these suggestions! I didn't realize you can install xpel yourself...looks like a difficult material to work with. Was it hard?

The other option I'm entertaining is buying the OEM applique for the Civic and using that. I bet it's almost the same size and may only need minor modifications. I tried looking for dimensions on these things but can't seem to find it. May just go down the parts store at the dealer and get them to compare.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shopgal
Thanks for these suggestions! I didn't realize you can install xpel yourself...looks like a difficult material to work with. Was it hard?
The hardest part was getting a good pattern. I had some butcher paper that I cut out and formed into place, then used a marker to outline all the creases which was cut out with scissors and used as an outline for marking the xpel material. A soft squeegee tool worked well to smooth out the soapy water that is used to affix the somewhat pliable xpel material to the car. Purchase enough extra xpel to use for other projects and give yourself a couple of tries at getting the fitment correct. Besides the handles and lights, I used this for various other car applications including door sill protection on another vehicle.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a photo of the laminx film on my bumper. If you've ever applied a wet-install screen protector, it's basically the same process. Just make sure to have a clean surface and some patience.