3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

TPMS saves my butt!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
TPMS saves my butt!

TPMS light goes off but this time it's not a false alarm, the drivers rear is dangerously low. If I had waited I'm sure it would have gone completely flat and by then it would have been dark in busy traffic. Fifteen minutes and a donut spare later and I'm rolling again. I didn't really check the tire yet; I suspect a puncture wound. I hope it'll take a patch, I'd hate to get a new tire.

Last edited by bach; 05-21-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: eh, sorry
Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
It was sharpened head end of a railroad spike (!) that was embedded in the very center of the tire (should have got a pic but eh ...) I called Honda at 8:05 am Sat about a price to patch the tire and was told I'd get a callback, so at 8:08 I called Discount Tire (bought from there before, was in their system) and was told they'd patch it for free. So I took it to Discount and dropped it off, it took about an hour. I took a 150-mile cruise early Sunday morning (happy graduation day!) and returned with a back end completely stuffed with my new graduate's belongings.

Incidentally, I also called Firestone to see about replacing and was told they could get one that would match the tread for $142.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
I was underwhelmed by its sensitivity. I had a puncture and it took several miles before it indicated that there was a flat. I knew long before by feel that something was wrong. I guess it's the nature of having a passive versus an active TPMS system.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I was underwhelmed by its sensitivity. I had a puncture and it took several miles before it indicated that there was a flat. I knew long before by feel that something was wrong. I guess it's the nature of having a passive versus an active TPMS system.
I've wondered about that, too. the owner's manual says the system will trip if you adjust tire pressure, rotate tires, install different tires, install snow tires, and I've done all of that and never seen the TPMS light come on yet. I've been wondering if it even works.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I've wondered about that, too. the owner's manual says the system will trip if you adjust tire pressure, rotate tires, install different tires, install snow tires, and I've done all of that and never seen the TPMS light come on yet. I've been wondering if it even works.

Light went on my 2016 Fit when the snow tires were installed, and again when they were removed and the summer tires installed. Expect it to do the same when I have the tires rotated.

It also came on April 9, 2016, before I had the snow tires removed. Needed air in all four tires. Glad it's working.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Yeah, well I felt nothing unusual and have been desensitized to immediate panic because of the sensitivity experienced in the Scion and its OEM tires. But since it got new tires, I could count the false positives on one finger.