3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LX head unit doesn't play nicely with iPod Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
LX head unit doesn't play nicely with iPod Classic

Posted this in ICE but no responses there so I thought I'd post it here.

Had my '16 LX for a couple months now. I've had nothing but issues with my 120GB iPod Classic and my LX head unit.

Today was the last straw. Had my iPod playing when I turned off the engine. Five minutes later when I come back to the car and start the engine, I get "Unsupported" on the screen and the iPod is now in recovery mode.

This is the second time it's sent my iPod into recovery mode. On top of that, the iPod has frozen too many times to count. I get "Device Not Found" and "Please Check Owners Manual" a lot. Makes it impossible to get any kind of continuity playing my music and podcasts. The iPod works perfectly when away from the car, so I doubt any problems with the iPod itself.

I can't be the only one here experiencing this. Anyone else have issues?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
There are several reports of anomalies with the EX unit but this is the first I've heard of an LX. Interestingly, the iPod Classic is starting to emerge as a common element in many of these problems. In my EX, the iPod Classic typically resets 50 to 60 songs into a playlist, going dumb for a few moments but eventually coming back. The head unit has rebooted too a few times. I got so frustrated I moved my favorite playlists to a USB drive and it's been much more stable.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you, Bach, for the suggestion to use a flash drive. If it would be more stable than the iPod Classic, I'm all in.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Cheaper to replace if stolen too

Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 PM
I quit using my ipod Classics. I rigged up XM radio with USB power and an FM modulator.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Hadn't gone out to get a flash drive yet, but I can report back with what happened with my 120GB ipod classic and the LX head unit.

The USB attachment is extremely sensitive to being moved or jostled. I have the ipod sitting in the tray at the back of the console, and if I bump it in the slightest, poof - there goes the connection, I get "Bad USB Drive" and all the other ominous warnings on the screen, and the head unit refuses to recognize the ipod. Then it's a matter of removing the ipod from the USB port, letting it sit for awhile with the car turned off, and if I'm lucky, it'll all start up again nicely next time I fire up the engine.

My takeaway is that the software built into the head unit is not particularly robust at handling momentary errors or interruptions in the data stream. I have a different, later gen 5 ipod I can try at some point to see if I run into the same interruption issue. But for now, just keeping the classic relatively immobile in the console tray seems to solve the problem.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
i have a alpine ida-x305 (2009 made) that i remove from my corolla and the ipod integration is way more better

thinking seriously to put it in my new fit dx 2016

i am looking for somewhone who have put a single din in a gk

i have learn to watch rear when i backup anyway