3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 LX or EX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Question 2016 LX or EX?

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I am thinking to get honda fit 2016, new.
I am assuming difference in price of EX and LX will be $1000 .. so both are affordable options.

My concern is, is EX worth upgrading to? Minor mileage difference won't matter given latest gas prices.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
According to most on these forums, the upgrades you get with the EX are worth far more than what you pay for them. Seems like the major issue people have is can you live with the touchscreen headunit in the EX vs. the more traditional button/knob setup in the LX?

Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I came from a Golf TDI to a Fit LX, and so far am quite pleased.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tacit Blues
According to most on these forums, the upgrades you get with the EX are worth far more than what you pay for them. Seems like the major issue people have is can you live with the touchscreen headunit in the EX vs. the more traditional button/knob setup in the LX?
Thanks for reply. I guess, only way for me to find out is "test drive" both models. I personally like sun roof..
I know, i won't pay $150/yr subscription for their touch screen whatever software. Only advantage of big screen is, to able to use/hack around for fun.

I am north-east state, does 16" tire make difference in snow or rainy?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 PM
I got the 2015 EX because I wanted the moonroof.

I have found myself recently driving other cars due to travel, and am amazed at how much I miss the lane watch and rear view cameras when I didn't have them.

The touch screen audio system really isn't as bad as some people say- I use the steering wheel controls to do pretty much everything. I've never thought it was a bad design.

My two cents.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by ajainy
Thanks for reply. I guess, only way for me to find out is "test drive" both models. I personally like sun roof..
I know, i won't pay $150/yr subscription for their touch screen whatever software. Only advantage of big screen is, to able to use/hack around for fun.

I am north-east state, does 16" tire make difference in snow or rainy?
I have a 2016 EX and love it. I don't know what $150 subscription you are talking about but everything works great on my touchscreen without any extra spending. I will be adding an Amazon Firestick or something like it and doing the bypass so I can fully mirror my phone for watching movies or using Google Maps.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
I'm cheap... real cheep... I originally was all about LX models... waiting for a blue one for several weeks (manual)... did more homework.. waited longer for an EX manual.. the sun roof.. alloy wheels.. electronics (keyless door, push button start).. were WAY worth the extra coin... Interaction with smartphone.. yeah, not awesome, but bluetooth and it automagically reads texts and stuff..

Totally worth the extra.. the only downside is not radio knob.. not really a big deal.. I'm a very old fat guy stuck in his ways.. steering controls are fine...

Doing it all over again.. would be very sad with an LX

Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Tires are nothing special, I doubt they're that much better than the LX 15s. Not great in the rain but not so bad in the snow either, noisy at high speed maybe but otherwise OK. Expectations for long life are not high but I don't think that's so surprising.

Last edited by bach; 01-07-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
I considered the alloy wheels, sunroof, keyless starting to be well worth the upgrade. I also noticed that the backup camera has much better resolution of the larger screen. That and the lane watch camera was worth it to me.

Unlike some, I don't miss the volume knob at all. I have controls on the steering wheel and use them. I don't pay any $150 annual fee for upgrade (I don't have the navigation equipped EX-L-I think that's what you're referring to).

However, the Fit is my only car, so it was worth it to me to go "first class". If you're buying it as a second (or third) car, a commuter car or a grocery getter, your needs/wants may be different.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I opted for the LX six speed because it comes with enough bells and whistles to make me happy and I wanted a radio with a knob.

While I use the rear camera, I mainly rely on my mirrors and my own eyes.

A moon roof would be silly where I live, plus, I carry my kayak on top of my car. A moon roof would interfere with the roof rack. A keyed vehicle is a requirement as I have to carry a car key in my PFD when on the water. It's in a waterproof bag, but things can go wrong and that key gives me entry into my vehicle whereas a moist smart key may not.

I look at my FIT as a means of transportation - a fun one, for sure - that meets my specific needs. The LX is perfect for me in that respect, but may not be for others who want even more fancy technology.

Navigation? Siri and my iPad do a good job with that.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I know, i won't pay $150/yr subscription for their touch screen whatever software.
I think the fee you speak of is for XM (satellite) radio subscription if you want it.
I believe you get the first 3 months free with the purchase of the car.

https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm-learnmore

During the trial period, and if you do buy the subscription, you can listen on your smartphone when you aren't in the car....and listen online with your computer wherever you are.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks all for replies. I guess, I should narrow down to EX model only.

I might have read in forums somewhere about $150/yr subscription or I might be confusing with hondalink apps. ($59.xx). Anyways, me & my wife are on android apps.
But a car is long term buy, compare to a phone.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:50 PM
The question is, how much do you want a roof that opens?

Tires and wheels are pretty much a wash, though replacing the 15s would probably be a bit cheaper.

Fog lights are a joke. If you want them, aftermarket.

For me, one deciding factor is that all the electronic problems that people have been seeing are on the touch-screen and pushbutton start systems. Getting the LX avoids these.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:33 PM
@GeorgeL, These were questions in my mind.. when I posted this thread on this forum.
To my pleasant expectations, i got very productive replies.
I once drove friend's moon roof.. I liked it. In long winters, but sunny days, it's really nice to get sun rays on you.

Fog lights, probably are used 5-6 times in a yr. But it's good to have it.
7" screen is better, even if u just used as backup camera screen.

All other things are needed but kind of nice to have. If I am paying $1000ish more than LX model, then i might be getting $250ish.. more whenever I sell it after 6-7 yrs.

Tire's extra cost, lets assume it's $100 more for all 4 tires. I don't think, i will change tires more then 3 times .. before I get rid of this car.

Only thing, I personally think is JOKE is, this lane watch system, for TWO reasons
1. It's not needed. I am confused, don't we have blind stop on driver side. I never faced problems in blind side on passenger side.
2. Looking at 30,000 feet.. more electronic means, more reasons for something to break right after 100,000miles.. and we all know, how dealers will love to milk us for expensive repairs. "$60 just to diagnose it.. then if you agree to $500 repair, then $60 will get waive off" ..

Old 01-09-2016, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I have to say I really love Lane Watch. I do wish it worked on both sides of the car it's so good.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Only thing, I personally think is JOKE is, this lane watch system, for TWO reasons
1. It's not needed. I am confused, don't we have blind stop on driver side. I never faced problems in blind side on passenger side.
2. Looking at 30,000 feet.. more electronic means, more reasons for something to break right after 100,000miles.. and we all know, how dealers will love to milk us for expensive repairs. "$60 just to diagnose it.. then if you agree to $500 repair, then $60 will get waive off" ..
The fragility of the lane watch technology kind of scares me a bit too. But I've really come around on its utility since my purchase. After actively avoiding it for the first week or so, I started to see its merits. It's so nice in heavy traffic, especially expressway rush hour traffic, and was an absolute blessing when I had to keep watch on the crammed bike lane in city traffic.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by bach
The fragility of the lane watch technology kind of scares me a bit too. But I've really come around on its utility since my purchase. After actively avoiding it for the first week or so, I started to see its merits. It's so nice in heavy traffic, especially expressway rush hour traffic, and was an absolute blessing when I had to keep watch on the crammed bike lane in city traffic.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KayakPaddler
A moon roof would be silly where I live, plus, I carry my kayak on top of my car. A moon roof would interfere with the roof rack. A keyed vehicle is a requirement as I have to carry a car key in my PFD when on the water. It's in a waterproof bag, but things can go wrong and that key gives me entry into my vehicle whereas a moist smart key may not.
The EX smart key has a normal key embedded in the fob. It'll get you into the car, no guarantees it'll start after getting wet. Someone mentioned they accidentally ran it in the wash and it still started the car.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 PM
EX all the way. The extras you get far outweigh the cost.

And radio knobs are so 20th century. Do the right thing and you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
The EX smart key has a normal key embedded in the fob. It'll get you into the car, no guarantees it'll start after getting wet. Someone mentioned they accidentally ran it in the wash and it still started the car.
Gotta check those pockets before starting the wash!

Called my dealer today to see about having another key made. Not a problem and it sounded like I could get a stripped down key with just the chip embedded to access and start the car. If so, that would be a perfect solution.

I do miss the simplicity of my 2003 Toyota Matrix key, which could be disconnected from the electronic gizmo.

Quick Reply: 2016 LX or EX?