3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My favorite phone mount for Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM
My favorite phone mount for Google Maps

I found a phone mount that orients a phone vertically without blocking the dashboard or much of the windshield. The vertical orientation allows Google Maps to display more of your upcoming path compared to a landscape orientation. It is called the iOttie Easy One Touch 2 and cost $20 on Amazon. There is also a Qi version for Android phones that support wireless charging.

It doesn't block as much of your windshield as it seems in this picture because the vision of your eyes overlap on both sides of the phone so it's really only blocking the sticker for your state inspection. I'm pretty short, 5' 4", so if you are taller than me it probably won't block any of the windshield.

Amazon link
Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus S6 S5 S4, Note 5 4 3, Google Nexus 5 4, LG G4-Retail Pack: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus S6 S5 S4, Note 5 4 3, Google Nexus 5 4, LG G4-Retail Pack: Cell Phones & Accessories

Manufacturer (iOttie) link
iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/Plus (5.5) /5s/5c, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 4/3, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3

Pros
  • Phone snaps in one handed
  • One handed release
  • phone's charging port is not blocked by mount
  • does not block anything on the dashboard except part of one A/C vent
  • phone is within easy reach for tapping buttons
  • plenty of adjustments, pivot, swivel, ball joint, telescoping arm
  • Securely mounts to dash with included, optional, adhesive mounting disk
  • Vertical orientation is great for navigation apps, more upcoming path is visible
  • Supports landscape orientation too
  • Inexpensive
  • Sturdy

Cons
  • Screen is almost too close even without telescoping adjustment. Eyes must refocus from distant road to near phone and back again.
  • Adhesive might damage soft dashboard according to Amazon reviews. It is not required to use the adhesive disk.

I tried to remove the mount from the adhesive disk out of curiosity but it was not budging so I just left alone. That part of the dashboard is plastic so I'm thinking it won't get damaged like the leather dashboards people are complaining about in the Amazon reviews.

Nifty one-handed mounting. This backplate button gets depressed when you push your phone into the mount, which triggers the arms to snap shut around the phone.

One hand can squeeze the sides to release the phone and reset the backplate button.

Last edited by simonx314; 01-06-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 PM
I have the same iOttie mount too, works extremely well! Had it for over 2 months and it never came loose.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
I got the same mount. Instead of dash, i attached it to windshield next to rearview mirror. There are some reviews about suction/gum making marks on dash.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
i own the same. works with a smaller phone no problem. i like the telescoping arm since i can mount it deeper farther in the windshield and still have it where i like it, under the rear view mirror.

ive had problems with the rubber holders on the side. it seems they dont hold up very well with the summer heat. i kept losing them in my car somewhere and im still yet to find them. IOttie customer service ended up sending me 3 replacements. The first one was no good. the second one was fine so far. i gave the third to my sister.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you so much for sharing! I had a phone mount that came from somewhere (no idea) that wouldn't mount in most places in the car, and where it could, it blocked my view. Right now my phone stays in the driver's cup holder to the left of the wheel. Not ideal (I have to prop it up with a bunch of napkins). I have a Samsung Galaxy 3, and hoping to get the Samsung Galaxy Note (big phone versus non-Note series) that came out last year. I'll have to get this mount!

Old 06-17-2017, 04:22 PM
I originally purchased the Koomas CD-Air Pro for my 2017 EX. Although I liked a lot of things about it, I was concerned that it might eventually damage my CD player. Plus it has a tendency to either block the center A/C vent or the display.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but where the iOttie is mounted, does it interfere with anything important?

Also, one thing I really wanted to do with the Koomas CD-Air Pro, but was unable to, is record video. The Koomas mount simply wouldn't allow you to move the mount vertically enough so that my iPhone 6 would have an unobstructed view of the road. Instead it would point downward and record a lot of the dashboard.

Will the iOttie allow you to position your iPhone so you can record video without any obstructions?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
This is what I have been using since 11/16 and works great. Barely know it's there when there is no phone attached.
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
And these work great for sunglasses ��. I use on passenger visor.
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by RavenManiac
does it interfere with anything important?
The mount does not block any part of the car. See the pictures in my first post. The front camera is not blocked. The rear camera might be blocked in a small phone, but it should be unobstructed on a phablet size phone. I would check my rear camera for you but I am away on a trip without my Fit.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Thanks Simon. I just ordered an
updated version updated version
of the model you purchased.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummm... long arm and stuff.

i installed a proclip on my wife's GK (one near the glove box/dash) looks good, very solid. if she ever gets an iphone i have the hardwire power cradles too. just slide the phone in and it is powered.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Yes, but I wanted it to hold my iPhone 6 high enough where I can record video, if needed.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ahhh.. like a dash cam. makes sense.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 AM
I have the updated iOttie, mounted to the miniwindow on left. It interferes with tall cups somewhat, but it's ok. I can snap a pic later if anyone wants to see how my Moto Pure sits and fits.

I really, really want to mount center, as I'm right-handed. Want a vent mount, but they all block the vents. Why don't they make one that has a slide that you can raise or lower the phone to allow for air flow!? I mean, FFS, they never ask me how to design things better, haha.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aigi
I have the updated iOttie, mounted to the miniwindow on left. It interferes with tall cups somewhat, but it's ok. I can snap a pic later if anyone wants to see how my Moto Pure sits and fits.

I really, really want to mount center, as I'm right-handed. Want a vent mount, but they all block the vents. Why don't they make one that has a slide that you can raise or lower the phone to allow for air flow!? I mean, FFS, they never ask me how to design things better, haha.
Fellow Moto X Pure owner!

I use magnetic mount near the head unit and can be seen here: Scosche Magnetic Mount

Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Fellow Moto X Pure owner!

I use magnetic mount near the head unit and can be seen here: Scosche Magnetic Mount
My Pure's white, too, and a Bamboo back.

I am not sold on magnetic mounts. Tell me why you like it? Thanks!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aigi
My Pure's white, too, and a Bamboo back.

I am not sold on magnetic mounts. Tell me why you like it? Thanks!
We have similar taste in phones then lol.

I like the magnetic mounts for its ease of use. I just stick it to the mount and that's it. It's one handed, with no need to squeeze clamps together. Same for the removal, just grab and go. Magnet is plenty strong with no risk of just plopping off.