3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My car was rear-ended and wanted to get some thoughts about the repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:46 AM
Unhappy My car was rear-ended and wanted to get some thoughts about the repair

I have a 10 month old fit 2015 and sadly last week it was rear-ended by a minivan - I am not at fault, I am in a complete stop and then suddenly the minivan hit the rear left part side of my fit. The driver said that the road was slippery but my guess is he was distracted at the time of the accident( i do not have any proof). But what can I do, the damage is already there and now I wanted my fit to be fixed.

The following is what I noticed after the accident.

1. I cannot drive it anymore because of the noise coming from the damaged part of my fit and it was towed.
2. I cannot open the rear left door because the body was pushed forward.
3. I feel that the tire was hit and the axle moved forward.

I was called by the collision center and they said that they wanted to discuss with me the repair details. By looks of the damage it looks repairable "but I guess that it will cost a lot" and I feel sad that the value of it will become low due to the accident. Can I have your thoughts/opinion about the repair of this kind of damage (please see pictures) or do I have the right to say to declare it as a total loss if I am not happy about the repair details of it?

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 AM
If you got rear-ended and you called the police and your insurance company, you should be 100% covered. You do not need proof. Don't stress! Let the insurance company deal with it. If you tried handling the expenses yourself, you can be looking at spending $4000+ minimum. Just from these pics, I can tell you need a new rear bumper, bumper cover, hatch (repairable), taillight assembly, A LOT of metal work, prep and paint.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:20 AM
In addition to the above, If you're given the option to fix or right-off. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time(12+years), I would fix it and keep it. As long as your rear wheels track straight and you look out for rust over the years (maybe discuss rust warranty with the collision repair shop).

If you plan on only keeping it for a short time and selling it, value of this car will drop a fair bit.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
You can make a claim against lost value as well, its a separate activity. Especially if the title gets branded. (Google lost value claim)

Many insurance companies offer full replacement for the first year on a new car.
I'd talk to the other cars agency and mention your kind of stiff from the collision.
AND DO see a dr after being rear ended, I didn't and about a month later had some back issues that according to the ortho were classic whiplash.. my insurance ended up covering it.

That is actually an ugly repair on the left rear its in to the main body structure.. Which usually means a lot of labor hours and the cost will be high..

If you think its totaled don't be afraid to tell them... 100% of the collision should be on the other cars dime.. Your company does not even have to be involved. If you have the same company then the insurance company is not your friend be aggressive.

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 12-31-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Thank you onlyrotary17 and dwtaylorpdx for sharing your thoughts on this

Old 01-01-2016, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Personally I'd rather get hit in the rear like that than in the front where the engine compartment is and repairs (assuming not a writeoff) would be much more difficult.

Don't forget to follow up and let us know what happens.