3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Back camera when going forward?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Back camera when going forward?

I park in my garage each day, and use the lines on the backup camera to gauge my position inside the garage. Presently I pull inside the garage and double check my position by briefly putting the car in reverse to see that one of the lines on the display is just past the crack in the concrete between my garage and driveway.

So.... is there a way to turn on the backup camera as I'm pulling into the garage? That way I could just pull in while looking at the rear view.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Not that I know of. If you have an EX, you can turn on the lane watch camera anytime by pushing the button in the end of the turn signal stalk. Maybe you can figure out how to use that view.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Honestly, I hadn't thought of that.... there are lines on the side camera that indcate the end of the car and 1 and 2 car lengths behind. Will have to test today to see if the lines are in the right place for my parking preference!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
How about backing into your garage, and using your backup camera, with lines, for your alignment? When you pull out you'd have an unobstructed forward view.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes low-tech is better.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Sometimes low-tech is better.

haha, good idea, but when the car is not in the bay, I don't like running into tennis balls in space. I suppose you could put velcro on the ceiling and just toss it up there and pull the string when you need to resume parking assist.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
haha, good idea, but when the car is not in the bay, I don't like running into tennis balls in space.
Yep, I just line up with a mark I made on the wall ... I'd upload a picture of it but ... it's just a mark on the wall!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
Yep, I just line up with a mark I made on the wall ... I'd upload a picture of it but ... it's just a mark on the wall!
haha... Yes, I also just use a mark on the wall to the right.

I love the smaller size of this Fit compared to the van because I can park further up and open the back hatch without opening the garage door.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Backup camera mouted high.

No garage, but I'm looking for a way to mount the backup camera up high - like above the window - looking down so I cab see the road, back of car, and all .

Anyone know where all the wiring is & How I could re-position the camera?

-Oly

Old 12-11-2015, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
I always back into my garage. The backup camera has useful lines drawn on the display so I focus on one single stationary object I can see in the backup camera. When the dotted line hits this object I stop. It is pretty foolproof. I suppose you can still use random lines on your walls, or the 'ol tennis ball from the roof, but with a backup camera there is really no need. You will always have something behind the car to act as a reference point, even if it is the wall of your garage.

Originally Posted by oly2
...I'm looking for a way to mount the backup camera up high - like above the window - looking down so I cab see the road, back of car, and all .

Anyone know where all the wiring is & How I could re-position the camera?
The backup camera has 3 modes: wide, normal and straight down. You need the straight down mode. I can't remember which button to press for the different modes, and this depends on the head unit you have. For the 5" head unit I think it is the menu button.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I always back into my garage. The backup camera has useful lines drawn on the display so I focus on one single stationary object I can see in the backup camera. When the dotted line hits this object I stop. It is pretty foolproof. I suppose you can still use random lines on your walls, or the 'ol tennis ball from the roof, but with a backup camera there is really no need. You will always have something behind the car to act as a reference point, even if it is the wall of your garage.

The backup camera has 3 modes: wide, normal and straight down. You need the straight down mode. I can't remember which button to press for the different modes, and this depends on the head unit you have. For the 5" head unit I think it is the menu button.
Thanks for the reply.

I read that somewhere, but all I have are 2 views: with lines and without lines - same view.

I'd love it if there were a "straight down" mode, but have so far failed to find it

-Oly

Old 12-11-2015, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Shift into reverse, then...

2016 Honda Fit owners Manual, pp 344,

You can view three different camera
angles on the rearview display.

Models with the color audio system (LX)
Press the LIST/SELECT
(selector) knob to switch the angle.

Models with display audio system (7" Touch Display)
Touch the appropriate icon to switch the angle.
: Wide view
: Normal view
: Top down view
If the last used viewing mode is Wide or Normal, the same mode is selected the next time you shift into R. If Top View is last used before you turned off the engine, Wide mode is selected next time you turn the ignition switch to ON w*1 and shift to R

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 12-11-2015 at 11:39 PM.