3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Am I insane for considering this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
Am I insane for considering this?

So, I made the mistake of test driving the new Fit.

I currently own an '09 Fit Sport with 5MT, and I love it. But I do kinda miss the bells and whistles on more upscale cars, which the new Fits have. Of course, the dealer did not have any manual transmissions in stock, and I was adamant about wanting the 6-speed, but figured it wouldn't hurt to test-drive the CVT. Well, it was surprisingly nice. So much so that I'm actually considering the CVT. And this is coming from a die-hard manual transmission fan, who has owned nine cars so far and every one has had a stick.

Right now I'm looking at getting the EX-L with Nav, with the CVT instead of the Mt, in Aegean Blue. So I'm wondering, has anyone gone from the 2nd to 3rd generation? Any regrets? (As I said, I love my current Fit.). Also, anyone go from stick to CVT? Opinions?

Last edited by Olyar15; 09-30-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
I did this just last spring. I traded my '09 Fit Sport 5MT for a '15 Fit EX 6MT. I did try out the CVT, and I was surprised at how well it worked. I would probably been just as happy with the CVT, but in the end I opted for the stick.

I figure this may well be my last stick shift car, as I'm getting older, and few people buy standard transmissions anymore (in the US), so offerings are getting fewer.

By the way, I absolutely love the '15, and, for the record, I loved the '09, too. My only caution is that build quality isn't quite as good in some areas on my '15 as the '09 was. I've had unresolved issues with a sagging front bumper cover and a misalignment between the dashboard and the A pillar trim (neither of which the dealer could fix). I'm not alone in these issues-lots of discussion on this forum about them. Just today, the car is in the shop having the rear axle replaced under warranty due to a rear wheel alignment issue. I had none of these problems with the '09.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 09-30-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Olyar15
Also, anyone go from stick to CVT? Opinions?
This is my first Honda and first Fit, but I've driven manuals and I don't miss it after driving the CVT. This is also my first CVT. It really is seamless and the fact that it turns much lower RPMs than the manual was a selling point for me. I researched before buying and a turnoff was the manual is turning much higher RPMs at highway speeds compared to the CVT.

Also I was at first look at an EX-L w/ Navi too, but once I got into the car I hated the feel of the leather seats and steering wheel. They felt cheap to me. I opted to get an EX instead and save the cash.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Also, anyone go from stick to CVT? Opinions
I've been a stick guy for 44 years and am glad I was seduced by the CVT during my test drive. City driving with its stops and goes is much more pleasant now.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Stick since my first car (1971 Vega), and went with the CVT because I do a lot of highway driving and I didn't like the frantic final drive ratio of the 6MT. I'm generally happy with the CVT. It loafs at highway speeds and is nice in town. That said, having recently installed an axle-back aftermarket exhaust, I wish I had the 6MT now so I could blip the throttle! (c:

es

Old 09-30-2015, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty much die-hard MT driver as well, but got the CVT for a number of reasons and after 11K miles, am pretty happy with the CVT, even if 'less engaging' to drive. (In full disclosure, I do have other MT cars and definitely in the 'more engaging' category.)

The Fit is very quiet at highway speeds, more quiet in the interior than my Odyssey 2002 van. When I downshift (using "S"port mode) to replicate what someone hears in the MT at 4K RPM, I'm quickly reminded how nice and quiet cruising at 2500 RPMs sounds in the CVT.

I personally did not like the slipperyness of the leather and use my phone for nav, so the EX-L was out, although I did like the winkers on the mirrors that come with the EX-L and wish it was standard on the EX. Sigh....

Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Like others here, I believe that driving is much more fun with a MT. And I did consider the 6MT when I was Fit shopping, but the lower mpg rating (probably somewhat due to the increased RPMs) turned me away. Now, if they had a true overdrive, I may have been swayed.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
I really can't comment on fuel economy of the CVT versus the MT. To do so, realistically, I would have to drive one, then the other, over an extended time where and how I drive. There are simply too many variables, otherwise. Anybody want to loan me their CVT Fit for a couple of weeks?

That said, I am getting 39-40 MPG average (42-43 highway) with the manual, and I'm sure I could do better if I were trying, but it's simply too much fun to stir the gearbox. As it is, it's good enough for me.

For the record, I like the gearing just the way it is. Then again, I understand that this is a 92 cubic inch DOHC 4 cylinder engine, not a 1970 Chrysler 440 cubic inch V8, and I don't expect it to loaf at 2000 RPM at 75 MPH.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 10-01-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
But that's what was so surprising about the CVT. It was still quite enjoyable to drive, to the point that I'm not sure how much more fun I'm having with the manual. Now, it could be that most of my driving is on the highway, which means shifting up to top gear and leaving it there until I get to my destination. So neither transmission is actually any fun, and the taller gearing of the CVT is a definite plus. But even in the corners, I found the CVT to be quite responsive, and using the paddle shifters in sport mode was just as fun as shifting a manual. And I really can't believe I just wrote that, as a die-hard fan of the manual.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Keep what you have

Old 10-01-2015, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
It's the only car of many on which the paddle shifters actually work. I love mine.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM
So, I made the mistake of test driving the new Fit.

I currently own an '09 Fit Sport with 5MT, and I love it. But I do kinda miss the bells and whistles on more upscale cars, which the new Fits have. Of course, the dealer did not have any manual transmissions in stock, and I was adamant about wanting the 6-speed, but figured it wouldn't hurt to test-drive the CVT. Well, it was surprisingly nice. So much so that I'm actually considering the CVT. And this is coming from a die-hard manual transmission fan, who has owned nine cars so far and every one has had a stick.

Right now I'm looking at getting the EX-L with Nav, with the CVT instead of the Mt, in Aegean Blue. So I'm wondering, has anyone gone from the 2nd to 3rd generation? Any regrets? (As I said, I love my current Fit.). Also, anyone go from stick to CVT? Opinions?

I went from 3rd to the new one. No regrets at all...a much better car. I got a manual, but I think the CVT would be better. It is not a hot rod, anyway.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
It is not a hot rod, anyway.

In my experience, it's much more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow. Then again most of my driving is on rural two-lane roads, and relatively little time on the interstate or heavy traffic.

I could have bought something like a Hemi Challenger, and spend all my time holding it back, or I could buy something like a Fit, and have the fun of "opening 'er up" and feeling the vtech kick in, without risking a speeding ticket every time. And still get 40 MPG, to boot. Your choice, of course.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
It's the only car of many on which the paddle shifters actually work. I love mine.
Funny you mention that... I had a GD Jazz when I lived in Australia, and the paddle shifters were so much better than those on my wife's current Infiniti G37X-S. The Infiniti's shifts are really laggy.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
In my experience, it's much more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow. Then again most of my driving is on rural two-lane roads, and relatively little time on the interstate or heavy traffic.

I could have bought something like a Hemi Challenger, and spend all my time holding it back, or I could buy something like a Fit, and have the fun of "opening 'er up" and feeling the vtech kick in, without risking a speeding ticket every time. And still get 40 MPG, to boot. Your choice, of course.

Agree. But, I get 44 mpg from Phx to LA. Got 54 mpg from Show Low to Phoenix. (Lots downhill, though)

Old 10-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

Agree. But, I get 44 mpg from Phx to LA. Got 54 mpg from Show Low to Phoenix. (Lots downhill, though) My Camaro still gets 30 highway. Not as good as the Fit, but loads of fun!