3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Where are all the Fits???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Went to a large Toronto Honda dealership over the weekend, looking to order a Fit, and was also told that I'd have to wait 4 weeks for their shipment. This is true especially for the 6MT. Not only were they vague about delivery, but would not even give me a written quote for the car! What's not to know from "Fit LX 6MT in Blue, no other options"? Their standard line: Come back when you want to negotiate. The problem is that I need their price to start negotiating. Meh, I'll go to another dealership.

And I don't see a lot of Fits in my area, North East Toronto. Honda dealer web sites are also pretty crappy on Fit info.
They wouldn't give you a written quote?! UGH. Yeah, try another dealership.

I'm in North Toronto - I see quite a few here. Some are 2015s and some are earlier models.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on what I find out from my friend (if she ever gets her car that she's already purchased).

Old 09-14-2015, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
The problem is that I need their price to start negotiating.
Start with Honda's price, on honda.ca, for Ontario, I get to CAD$ 19,154.75 for a blue LX 6MT with no accessories and no extended warranty, and offer them 10% less. Say $17,230. Who cares what the dealer's price desire is?

Maybe things are done differently in Canada.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Canada: No 2016 Fit 6MTs for ~2 months

So went to another dealer today and the salesman even gave me a price of MSRP, but told me he did an inventory search for 6MTs in Canada and at the factory in Mexico, and there are no MTs in any trim level. They have not even started to manufacturer MT Fits for Canada yet, so there is no inventory to sell, and that I would have to wait a minimum of ~2 months. He did confirm that there are no changes for 2016. I could put down a deposit, order one and wait.

He also said that this is true for the Civic and the Accord as well, and for the 2016 Civic he does not even have a price. The wait for an HRV CVT is one month, and no MT has been manufactured yet. Yay for the CVT, Boo for the MT.

I hope he is wrong, but he was older, been with the dealership for a long time, had a good reputation from reviews of the dealership and seemed to really know the system.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
minimum of ~2 months...
Put your name in at all the dealerships. I was told I'd have wait up to three months for a 2016. Three weeks after my initial inquiry I phoned one of the dealers, he told me one just came that day.

Interestingly, there were no 2015 CVT within a 150 radius of my house, but there were plenty of MT at each dealership.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, that's a long wait. No wonder the dealers here are being so vague. I'm going to hold off until my friend's 2016 comes in so I know what's really going on in Toronto.

I was really hoping to have my car before the winter, but it looks like it will be cutting it close.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Here is what the Toronto dealerships are telling me. All the dealers advise ordering a car when they have none. In this way they have, on the books, your specific order, which goes to Honda Canada, and also to the factory in Mexico. This means going into the dealership, negotiating the price, signing a contract to buy the car, putting down a small payment of $500. I asked to also include a clause that allows me to step out of the deal for any reason, and quickly get my deposit back, like I don't want to wait 2 months for delivery.

With your order in hand the dealer will then try to find another local dealer with the specs for your car and negotiate to swap cars. This may mean driving a car to another city in order to get the car you want. This is the fastest way, but will add mileage to your car. Otherwise you just wait until Honda delivers your car order to your dealer.

If we just wait for the dealer to have cars, this will take a couple of months. This is supposedly especially true for the rarer 6MTs, but also for colours such as yellow, blue and red, which dealers are shy to order.

I am disappointed and somewhat surprised that Honda would release their MY2016 in such a shoddy and haphazard manner. Even the dealers are in the dark, and there is no communication coming out of Honda. It is understandable for the MY2015 release being a little rough due to its new car design, but the second year of the same exact design should have a smooth and orderly rollout.

Frankly I've been trying to find another car manufacturer that has what the Fit offers but I can't find any comparable vehicle. The closest is the Nissan Versa Note, which I've rented for a couple of weekends. While a nice car, the rear seats don't fold down flat, for me, not good. A friend has one and does not like this feature.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the information TorontoBoy.

Interestingly, I was just looking at the Versa Note, but like you, I want the seats that fold down completely. I've looked at a few others in the same class, but I want my Fit.

My friend wasn't given an option for how much to put down as a deposit when she bought hers - it was $1,000.

I think it's very unprofessional the way this has unfolded - i.e., that there seems to be no communication with their dealers and potential customers. When there is communication, it's either vague or an outright lie to secure the deal. If my friend had known it may take a couple of months (and not the 2-4 weeks she was told), she probably would have chosen another car, or at the very least, added a similar clause to her contract like you mentioned.

I still want the Fit, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. I may buy it soon and hope that the October 20th date they told her is actually somewhat accurate.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
How to Find an Honest, reputable sales person

OT: Find an honest, reputable sales person to help you out, though this is easier said than done.

Here's what I did, and I have not been disappointed so far. Google search your dealership for reviews. For example "Sisley Honda Toronto review". Read all the Google and other sites for feedback of the overall customer experience. If you see a good 50% negative, then red flags should go up. Look for a common recommendation for a sales person. Each dealership has their sales stars, but I'm looking for sales staff that have helped customers buy their cars and these customers appreciated it. Call the dealership up and book an appointment for this specific person. Hopefully this person will give you honest advice on how to buy a Fit from his dealership.

Do not rely on one site for feedback. you never know if the site has been paid off by the dealership for good reviews and the suppression of bad ones. We live in unethical times.

I feel that simply walking into a dealership is like chumming shark infested waters. Do your research, find your guy/gal, and make the dealership experience that much better for you.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
OT: Find an honest, reputable sales person to help you out, though this is easier said than done.

Here's what I did, and I have not been disappointed so far. Google search your dealership for reviews. For example "Sisley Honda Toronto review". Read all the Google and other sites for feedback of the overall customer experience. If you see a good 50% negative, then red flags should go up. Look for a common recommendation for a sales person. Each dealership has their sales stars, but I'm looking for sales staff that have helped customers buy their cars and these customers appreciated it. Call the dealership up and book an appointment for this specific person. Hopefully this person will give you honest advice on how to buy a Fit from his dealership.

Do not rely on one site for feedback. you never know if the site has been paid off by the dealership for good reviews and the suppression of bad ones. We live in unethical times.

I feel that simply walking into a dealership is like chumming shark infested waters. Do your research, find your guy/gal, and make the dealership experience that much better for you.
I do exactly this, and fortunately, my Dad knows a good salesperson at a local dealership that he's dealt with for years. He's been off on short term leave though, but should hopefully be back by the end of the month. I'll definitely be going to him to find out what's really going on. He's a good guy.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kmcg_989
Thanks for the information TorontoBoy.

Interestingly, I was just looking at the Versa Note, but like you, I want the seats that fold down completely. I've looked at a few others in the same class, but I want my Fit.

What do you guys mean by fold down completely? Here is a picture of the Versa Note. What more does the Fit do?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...eFmOqlUhejQXAw

Old 09-16-2015, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Nissan Versa Note vs MY2016 Fit: Fold down rear seats

Originally Posted by fitfuture
What do you guys mean by fold down completely? Here is a picture of the Versa Note. What more does the Fit do?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...eFmOqlUhejQXAw
OT: I've rented the 2015 Nissan Versa Note for about 3 weekends, and have loaded it with stuff numerous times. While the rears seats do fold down, they do not fold flat and parallel to the ground. When the rear seats are folded down the space behind the rear seats is not flat with back of the rear seats. There is an incline of about 20 degrees, and there is the lip. This makes it harder to load large boxes as if the box sits on the crack it won't lie flat to the ground. I would need to load smaller boxes at the front to ensure I did not have this problem. I found this to be really annoying.

The Versa's "Divide & Hide" system doesn't quite match up. It uses a movable cargo floor that can provide either more vertical space or a flat cargo floor, but it's clunky to operate and can't hide the fact that the rear seats don't fold flat into the floor like they do in the Fit. The Versa's maximum cargo capacity of 38.3 cu ft with the seats down also pales in comparison with the Fit's enormous 52.7 cu ft.
source

The Fit rear seats fold down flat. I've not measured it with a level, but flat meaning less than 5 degrees difference between the folded seat back and the space aft of the rear seats. To me this makes a big difference when hauling stuff.

I like Nissan and previously had an Altima. They are reliable cars. In auto the Versa Note is somewhat laggy and is just Ok for handling. For the same price I'd get the Fit.

2014 Nissan Versa Note, back seats don't lie flat. The 2015 is identical.

2015 Honda Fit, back seats lie flat

The Fit, rear seats down, is so flat that some people here are outfitting their cars with mattresses so they can sleep in their cars. One Fit owner recently slept in his driveway. I might need this after minor marital hiccups. It is best to be prepared.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 09-16-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Nissan Versa Note Seats do fold down flat

OT: I've rented the 2015 Nissan Versa Note for about 3 weekends, and have loaded it with stuff numerous times. While the rears seats do fold down, they do not fold flat and parallel to the ground. When the rear seats are folded down the space behind the rear seats is not flat with back of the rear seats. There is an incline of about 20 degrees, and there is the lip...

I like Nissan and previously had an Altima. They are reliable cars. In auto the Versa Note is somewhat laggy and is just Ok for handling. For the same price I'd get the Fit.

2014 Nissan Versa Note, back seats will lie flat when you set up the floor properly. The 2015 is identical.
I need to make a retraction on the Nissan Versa Note. The rear seats do lie flat when you set up the back floor properly. The car has a false bottom, where you can hide stuff. Note the zigzag grooves on either side, and the two ledges rearward of these grooves. The false floor zigzags in these grooves and there are two latches that lock it in. The false bottom then sit on top of the two ledges, making for a very flat rear cargo space. it is not as flat as the Fit but pretty close.

Here in Toronto, Nissan is clearing out their 2015s with a $1,500 cash discount. Their cars are configured much better than Honda, and seems to have better value than Honda's non-discounted 2016s. On top of that, they have stock in 6MT and I need not wait 4-6 weeks for delivery. I'll need to review their specs again, but the cars are competitive.

I'm sure the Fit's engine (130hp) is more powerful than the Versa Note (109hp) and more fuel efficient.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 09-25-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
No matter how you configure it, the Versa Note has nothing on the Magic Seat. And with its lower power and Nissan's CVT, it is a seriously slow-feeling car. But they get great mileage and seem to be built very well. You don't see their front bumper skins dangling low. And their sidewalls in the back are way more durable. No sunroof though.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Whatever the cause I really think Honda has made a mistake.

I've wanted to take a look at the new Fit for a while, and stopped at a local Honda Dealership and they had ZERO new Fits available. And only 1 certified used.

The salesman tried to steer me towards the "like new" certified used Fit. But #1, I don't trust buying a used vehicle that is nearly brand new, I always think somebody bought it and immediately started having problems. Plus the cost is usually so close to brand new, it doesn't make sense to me.

This was a large Honda Dealership, but even searching online, it seems local supply is VERY limited.

I know Honda is building the HRV in the Mexico plant that WAS building the Fit, and I know they had some problems early on.

But with a newly redesigned model? I sure think it is a mistake to not keep supply up. There's a LOT of competition in the small hatchback market, most people looking are NOT going to be patient or think waiting for The Fit is worth it.

In a related bit of opinion, I think the HRV is an interesting product but possibly lost in between worlds.

Caught between being a watered down, smaller entry level CRV...and a larger but IMO less exciting version of a Honda Fit.

Nothing wrong with it, but it's so....exactly what it is....nothing distinct about it.

The Honda Element, Honda's outgoing entry level youth based SUV was at least quite a bit different than the CRV, and a very unique product.

I feel like I can look at a product VERY similar to the HRV, even at a Honda Dealership, with the CRV...and at nearly every other dealership and brand because most of them are selling a small SUV that is a nearly identical product.

If it embraces Honda Quality, I think a HRV could be an unexciting product that one purchases and learns to love over ownership of a decade, but walking onto a Honda Lot? There's NOTHING to make me particularly want one.

But that's just my opinion. And I admit, I always liked the unique, utilitarian nature and look of The Honda Element. I think Honda made a mistake moving away from that uniqueness.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Back in '09 I very nearly bought the Element, as I really liked its quirky, functional design, and a couple of my friends had them and loved them. I opted for the Fit, which also had its own brand of quirky functionality as well as much better fuel economy.

I must admit, I don't understand Honda's North American marketing strategy vis-a-vis the Fit. It's almost like they treat the car as a "loss leader", something to lure potential customers in so they can "upsell" them to a CRV. They haven't realized that not everyone wants to be upsold to a bigger, more expensive car. Instead Honda will end up losing sales to their competition if they can't/won't deliver. I mean, the GK was launched in this market over a year ago, and there's still supply issues? Come on, Honda!

Old 09-26-2015, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Asked my dealer for a 2016 base Fit 6MT in any colour. None/zero in Quebec, for Ontario, one in rail transit, to a dealer. This accounts for 65% of Canada's population. The rest live in igloos (j/k, play on Americans' joke) that are too small for a Fit. They told me the wait is for early Jan 2016 delivery. by the time they come I'll need snow tires to drive home.

Honda, no product means no sale, no matter how good the car.

Daughter and son looked at the HRV today. While the back is very much a Fit, the front cabin is odd. Front seats are split into two separate areas by a high central console. The central console goes from the rear of the front seats, through and ends by touching the dashboard and radio. To access the 2 USB, HDMI and 12v ports you need to access them from below the top of the central console and from the side, very near to your knee. The driver while driving would not be able to do this, and the front passenger would need to somewhat contort themselves. Rear passenger doors have the handle on the side of the door facing the rear bumper. On the plus side with the seats down there is ample room for a long nap. I would not buy this bastard child.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 09-26-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Whatever the cause I really think Honda has made a mistake.
I'll bet they wish they had a better choice. I'm certain Honda doesn't want to leave that money burning a hole in your pocket. Few things are more frustrating than having customers but no product.

Last edited by Dick W; 09-26-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Hello,

New here to the forum I've been searching for a 2016 EX MT Fit in my general vicinity here in Southern California but all the dealerships I've contacted gave me the same answer. They are "expecting arrival" anytime now and want me to come in to pre-order one. lol. No.

After talking to some of the upper management sales guys at several dealerships, known fact is that that the production of the Fit, along with the H-RV, is now being done specifically at their Mexico plant. Here's the interesting thing that I was told... several of their train containers with production parts for the 2016 models was reportedly stolen in Mexico a few months ago. If this is true, it would make perfect sense of back order OEM Honda parts during June-August as well as the current halt of Fits being released into the market.

Before moving forward, let me cite where I've been told this information from: Honda of Corona, Cerritos Honda, and Honda of Downtown Los Angeles.

One thing that the upper management from Honda of Downtown Los Angeles told me is that realistically, their dealership won't see Fits till late October, at the earliest

Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calamansi juice
Hello,

New here to the forum I've been searching for a 2016 EX MT Fit in my general vicinity here in Southern California but all the dealerships I've contacted gave me the same answer. They are "expecting arrival" anytime now and want me to come in to pre-order one. lol. No.

After talking to some of the upper management sales guys at several dealerships, known fact is that that the production of the Fit, along with the H-RV, is now being done specifically at their Mexico plant. Here's the interesting thing that I was told... several of their train containers with production parts for the 2016 models was reportedly stolen in Mexico a few months ago. If this is true, it would make perfect sense of back order OEM Honda parts during June-August as well as the current halt of Fits being released into the market.

Before moving forward, let me cite where I've been told this information from: Honda of Corona, Cerritos Honda, and Honda of Downtown Los Angeles.

One thing that the upper management from Honda of Downtown Los Angeles told me is that realistically, their dealership won't see Fits till late October, at the earliest
According to kbb.com, if you're ok with a 2015 EX 6MT and not overly picky about color, there are several around SoCal... try Goudy, AutoNation Valencia, or Galpin.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by robbbbb
According to kbb.com, if you're ok with a 2015 EX 6MT and not overly picky about color, there are several around SoCal... try Goudy, AutoNation Valencia, or Galpin.
Although there is zero change in design from the 2015 to the 2016, personally I'd prefer the 2016 since we're already late into the year. As for color, I'm pretty dead set on White Orchard Pearl.

The wait doesn't really bother me too much nor does driving as far as San Diego to pick up the exact one I want. Just crossing fingers that it doesn't take till December till they resume with the shipments of new inventory into the local dealerships

Quick Reply: Where are all the Fits???