3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Odd Stumble in Second gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Odd Stumble in Second gear.

Hi! I have this problem where when I put it into second at normal road rpms and gradually get it up to speed, there is a momentary stumble in the vehicle. As if the car loses power or its missing on one of the cylinders. It does it almost every time I want to gently putter around town. But when I get it into second going onto the freeway and give it the beans there is no problems. not something Im particularly worried about, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed something similar.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Hello,

I noticed this same thing when my car was brand new. At first it through me for loop, but as a long time honda mechanic, i let my nerves calm.

Heres what i experienced:

After about 4k miles on my car, (and a healthy dose of WOT, 6000rpm shifts, it eased away. My guess is the ecm learning how i liked to drive. Also, i majorly suspect the variable ignition timing function as a culprit of this, bouncing inbetween thinking weather it should be fuel sipping or not.

Hope this helps. Note, i experience this still, if i use regular 87octane, and the ambient temp is over 75degrees, high humidity, etc.

I wouldnt worry tho

Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info! I do hope it goes away. I do shift rather high during normal driving. I usually let her spin to at least 4K before I shift. I use 92 only so far. Noticed that it runs a little smoother. I also tried turning off the Stabilty Control, and it got a little better but didnt totally go away. I'll be patient and let you know if it goes away.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 PM
How many miles do you have?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 PM
If you do a search on this forum you will find plenty of threads about this issue it is the way the ignition is programmed. Being a direct fuel injection engine it is trying to sip the fuel and run at a very lean burn until demand increases for more horse power from the motor. The default condition is to stay at a lean burn when you push in second gear that is when the ignition changes over to a standard ideal fuel to air ratio. Soon as demand decreases it goes back to a lean burn and the cycle repeats. It is the nature of a direct fuel injected engine program to be fuel efficient. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your car I too have experienced the same stumble however I shift a little bit higher RPMs for 2nd gear and don't experience the stumble as much.

Cheers!!

Old 07-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Rad. I knew my butt was right lol

Old 07-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info! Darn so I just gotta give it the tits all the time then? LOL! Ok great, Im glad that its normal though. sometimes when it happens my wife looks over at me and says "damn you suck at manual!" in her Japanese accent... Tanks Guys!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
If you do a search on this forum you will find plenty of threads about this issue it is the way the ignition is programmed. Being a direct fuel injection engine it is trying to sip the fuel and run at a very lean burn until demand increases for more horse power from the motor. The default condition is to stay at a lean burn when you push in second gear that is when the ignition changes over to a standard ideal fuel to air ratio. Soon as demand decreases it goes back to a lean burn and the cycle repeats. It is the nature of a direct fuel injected engine program to be fuel efficient. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your car I too have experienced the same stumble however I shift a little bit higher RPMs for 2nd gear and don't experience the stumble as much.

Cheers!!
Wow, best explanation I've read in these forums. You're a gentleman and a scholar sir.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Wow, best explanation I've read in these forums. You're a gentleman and a scholar sir.
I take craft beers as payment a d homage lololol!!