3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So.. Is the Fit the new VW Bug???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
So.. Is the Fit the new VW Bug???

I'm an old guy.

I had a 60s vintage Bug... loved it.. turned it into a dune buggy...

I NEVER thought I'd really love the little Fit... (ooooo.. I said the "L" word)...

Thinking about it.. Is it the new (old) VW Bug???

Subcompact.

Great mileage.

Fun to drive.

Cheap entry price...

Me thinking it IS the new old VW bug...

Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 PM
me thinks you're getting old lol.. jk no I hope not.. if its the new bug I'm selling tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Having owned both (1970 beetle), I'm somewhat inclined to agree. At least in the Bay Area, it seems the fit is reaching a tipping point. Within a few blocks of my apartment, there are 10 fits of various colors and trims and generations. I wasn't alive for the heyday of the beetle, but I imagine the ownership would be similar: popular but still niche, quirky but on its way to mainstream. However, based on this forum and anecdotal experience, I'm guessing the average age of a fit owner is slightly older than that of a beetle owner back in the day. Perhaps some fit owners are former beetle owners!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 PM
Like the original Bug, the Fit is quirky. But the Fit has a whole different approach than the Bug, since it relies on its back seat and cargo hold to make sales, whereas the Beetle didn't

If there was a modern day, 2015 model car was the closest spiritual successor to the Bug, I'd say it's the Mitsubishi Mirage. Equally small, basic, and rugged. It's also offbeat and is as simple as cars get today. The Mirage's, like the Bug's, mission is to offer as simple-as-possible transportation that is cheap as can be and economical to the masses. And although the Mirage would dust any vintage Beetle in performance, it still lags behind its modern day counterparts in performance (like the VW did in its day too).

Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 PM
you guys do know there is a 2015 VW Beetle right..

Old 06-30-2015, 03:40 AM
I had a 1991 civic hatchback and I would say the 3rd gen FIT is the modern day version of that car. It reminds me so much of the civic I had. That car was like a four wheel motocycle. Had to adjust the valves every 15000 miles. I loved that car. This car is about the same size and simplicity with a fancy radio thrown in.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
How dare you compare the Fit to the Hitler-mobile

Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BLXFITTY
you guys do know there is a 2015 VW Beetle right..
Yes, but it's a far cry from the design and intent of the original. A "beetle" in name only. A niche vehicle trading on a vague resemblance to the original and maybe a slight degree of nostalgia.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 AM
The Fit very well could have been the new beetle if it hadn't had so much competition. When the beetle was first introduced in 1938, it didn't have nearly the competition in the subcompact market as there is now. And now it is such an iconic vehicle I doubt it will ever be matched for what it has accomplished and what it stands for (even though it was "developed" under the guidance of a monster).

Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
The Fit very well could have been the new beetle if it hadn't had so much competition. When the beetle was first introduced in 1938, it didn't have nearly the competition in the subcompact market as there is now. And now it is such an iconic vehicle I doubt it will ever be matched for what it has accomplished and what it stands for (even though it was "developed" under the guidance of a monster).
True enough. Although the VW beetle didn't create the "subcompact" market entirely (you'd have to remember the Fiat 500, Morris Minor and a host of other pre/post-war small cars), it was the major force behind the "compact" car movement in this country. It forced Detroit to introduce their own line of "compact" cars to compete with it. Because it was so different from every other car on the American roads at the time, it became an icon, and a symbol of rebellion against excess, sort of a "reverse status symbol".

Of course, all this was after the war, and had nothing to do with the original intent of the car-to put the populace of Germany on wheels (which it also did-but again, only AFTER the war).

Yes, although the "people's car" was a dream of Adolph Hitler, the car's real father was Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, one of the most brilliant automotive designers of his day.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 06-30-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Doubt it

For some reason the car makers are not smart enough to leave a good product
alone. VW Beetles changed very little over the years. VW kept that iconic look
and improved the mechanicals. The last of the Mexican Bugs were rather advanced
as far as injection and electronic ignition, still looked like the model from 20 years
earlier.

Honda will give us a redesigned FIT every two to three years, some will be better and
some not so better. Most will just be different and that was what VW did not do.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Yes, but it's a far cry from the design and intent of the original. A "beetle" in name only. A niche vehicle trading on a vague resemblance to the original and maybe a slight degree of nostalgia.
I traded my '13 Beetle convertible TDi for my Fit, and am very happy after 22K miles. Had a '00 New Beetle TDI before the 'vert, and the "new" Beetle just didn't have the same gestalt (not to mention VW still struggles with boneheaded quality problems). Too much bling and not enough 'German-ness.'

My Fit, however, is simply not in the same genre as my old '64 Beetle. I now have a '62 sunroof and a '63 sedan I'm rebuilding, and the old Beetles still put a huge grin on my face every time I drive them. I enjoy driving the Fit, but it's quite a different experience.

es

Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I still have fond memories of my Dad's '59 Karmann Ghia. What a neat car.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I started this mess.. and have a few more thoughts...

New bug? Not so much.. Retro just don't cut it.. We old people think of originals very romantically.. however.. in reality.. they were not very good cars.. we just didn't know better.. The whole Retro movement is very over.. I'm a Mustang maniac.. had the retro 2006 Mustang GT which was 100 times the car of the 60 Stangs.. but no where near as cool.. I still own my 69 Mach I from when I was 17.. and am getting ready to get it alive again..

Ok.. back in the old man days... the original bugs were fun.. I had one.. today. there's lots of cars that fit the bill... Nissan Note... Ford Fiesta... to limited degree Toyota Yaris..Mazda 2.. etc.. I think the Fit stands out from these competitors.. but I did pony up for the EX with all the fun electronics..

If nothing else.. has been fun debate..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I owned a few sixties-era Beetles... and if it's any indication of similar appeal... when I first heard of the Honda Fit, I rushed out and bought one sight unseen. The first time I ever actually laid eyes on any Fit was when the dealer delivered mine.

As far as comparisons, the Fit has more:

• power
  • people and cargo space
  • technology
  • mileage

than the old Beetle.

The Fit does have a much better heater! And, even if not the best, it does have an air conditioner.

------------

But the real test will have to wait until we see if a book like this comes out for the Fit:

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Last edited by morgantruce; 06-30-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
My first car was a '67 Bug. I got rid of it for a 69 VW van. I got rid of that for a bicycle. I did rebuild my girlfriend's 1970 Bug engine via a grease-stained copy of "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" and I was a complete idiot for doing so but it ran.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Muir Publications also did a book for the Honda Civic.

es

Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 AM
I think it is an apt comparison, and I would agree. The beetle was good quirky design and you can find similar aspects in the Honda Fit.

There is no shame in comparing the two.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
I will say yes but with different motives.

It is a economic car, reliable, nimble, fun to drive, space wonders, doest not show up, secure. So it is the best car you can buy for the money and if everybody had one os this they would be happy.

My dad owns a ram laramie and a suburban and he likes my little car. He sees it as a ultra fast car(yeah with a ton versus three and a half of the trucks he owns).

Here it resumes it.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
OP, I don't feel it; I don't think our Fits will ever being held in the same regard as the old Beetles. But then I know people who would argue quite enthusiastically that the first gen Scion XB has the same cache and I don't really feel that either, though it's probably the quirkiest car to come along in the past 20 years.

Quick Reply: So.. Is the Fit the new VW Bug???