3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Will I get used to the seats????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Will I get used to the seats????

Hi,

I'm 95 percent of the way to pulling the trigger on a new 2015 Fit LX (Canadian version.) However I have one major issue (besides deciding whether I want a manual or a CVT.)

I have really enjoyed it on my test drives, however I'm a tall guy and I've noticed something that has been complained about a LOT on these forums, but I have seen no solutions for.

The seats kill my back!

Two test drives, for an hour each, and boy did my back feel sore for the whole rest of the day after each.

Will my back get used to this ?? I really hope so. Otherwise I can't justify the purchase. Anyone here who has had issues and managed to actually solve this problem?

Thanks for replies....

Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
I think if I wasn't comfortable with the seats, I'd be looking elsewhere. It's not like a motorcycle, where seats are fairly easy to change.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:20 PM
You're right. However I'm not sure if the seats are something I could adapt to. I'm young and nimble, so maybe I just need to strengthen my lower back or something.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Will they let you test drive one for a weekend? Take a trip in one potentially? I wouldn't throw down 15-20K for a car that I was not sure I was comfortable in, but I make 8 hr+ road trips frequently.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have almost 16,000 miles on my car now, and have made several trips from 12-18 hours (all in one shot). The seats are firm, and have a touch more lumbar than I care for, but have not given me any more back issues than any other car I've driven on long road trips. In fact, I think my Fit seats are "settling in" a bit now and actually feel a bit more comfortable than when new. I'm 6'-4" and about 185lb (and "over 50"). Wouldn't mind another inch or two rear adjustment, but have not felt overly cramped, either.

EDIT - I've always had MT for my DD, but did not care for the poor gearing (for highway cruising), and at the last minute decided to get the CVT, which runs about 1,000 RPM lower at highway cruise speeds. I miss 'rowing my own,' but appreciate the less frantic engine note on a 16 hour trip.

es

Last edited by stembridge; 05-10-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by bernoulli
You're right. However I'm not sure if the seats are something I could adapt to. I'm young and nimble, so maybe I just need to strengthen my lower back or something.
If you don't like them now, you will never like them. Buy something else.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
As everyone else said, don't do it.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:27 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
3 things

1st thing people have always complained about the seats since the gd.... i have 7 8 years and 230,000 miles logged on this car and never have i been in such pain that i hated the seats so maybe the seats art the issue.
2nd thing if you love the car but hate the seats buy a racing seat (make sure you get red ones so your friends think you're car is really fast)
3rd how the eff did you get an hour long test drive?!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
1st thing people have always complained about the seats since the gd.... i have 7 8 years and 230,000 miles logged on this car and never have i been in such pain that i hated the seats so maybe the seats art the issue.
2nd thing if you love the car but hate the seats buy a racing seat (make sure you get red ones so your friends think you're car is really fast)
3rd how the eff did you get an hour long test drive?!
I was wondering about item 3 myself, and not one but TWO hour long test drives!

At age 63, my back has seen its best days long ago. That said, I find the seats acceptable to me. Just shows that everyone is different.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM
There's several threads on here where tall guys have tackled the seat issue by putting some spacers under the bolts at the front of the seat - tipping the seat back and giving your upper legs more support. I don't know if that's your exact issue, but do a little searching here if it is.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Will my back get used to this ?? I really hope so. Otherwise I can't justify the purchase. Anyone here who has had issues and managed to actually solve this problem?

Thanks for replies....
I found the driver's seat quite uncomfortable after I had purchased the car (it never crossed my mind that seats on a new car could be uncomfortable, and the test drive was not long enough to reveal anything). Anyhow, after trying many seat positions and angles I finally got it to a point in which sitting was "ok." In addition, I also bought a seat cushion, which actually added a lot of comfort. It was $80, but, for me at least, it was well worth it. Here's the link for that cushion:
Driving Comfort Cushion ? Clever Yellow

The seat is still not ideal, but at least it's comfortable enough that my mind can think of other things other than, "geez, this is uncomfortable."
For reference, I'm 5'6, and 135lb, so a small guy. I'm not sure which body types are the ones who find the seat uncomfortable and to what extent, but I was one of them. I hope this helps some in making your decision. It would certainly be a pain to always be quite uncomfortable while driving.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
That seat cushion:

I would be tempted to put the tall end of the wedge at the front as I found the seats too flat and added one inch of washers to increase the angle. That solved my back pain and discomfort.

But as others have said, if you are unwilling to modify or purchase a cushion, it may not be the car for you.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Jazz/Fit drivers lumba support.

Hi,

I'm 95 percent of the way to pulling the trigger on a new 2015 Fit LX (Canadian version.) However I have one major issue (besides deciding whether I want a manual or a CVT.)

I have really enjoyed it on my test drives, however I'm a tall guy and I've noticed something that has been complained about a LOT on these forums, but I have seen no solutions for.

The seats kill my back!

Two test drives, for an hour each, and boy did my back feel sore for the whole rest of the day after each.

Thanks for replies....

Hi, Try You tube for details of how to relieve the pressure from the Lumba support on the drivers seat. there are 2 clips with the titles Jazz Lumba 1 of 2, and, Jazz Lumba 2 of 2.
We have had our Jazz/Fit for 2 months and the Lumba support was killing my back, I followed these 2 clips and, age of miracles, problem solved.
I'm in the UK and I think the clips were by someone in the UK.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by braingoing
Hi, Try You tube for details of how to relieve the pressure from the Lumba support on the drivers seat. there are 2 clips with the titles Jazz Lumba 1 of 2, and, Jazz Lumba 2 of 2.
We have had our Jazz/Fit for 2 months and the Lumba support was killing my back, I followed these 2 clips and, age of miracles, problem solved.
I'm in the UK and I think the clips were by someone in the UK.
I just watched both videos, by the way the title is "Honda Lumba 1 of 2" (and 2 of 2), I'm not sure how the lumbar support would be improved based on what he did. It seems this procedure would decrease the lumbar support rather than increase it. Maybe the lumbar support is set differently on the Jazz, the USDM Fit needs more lumbar support, not less.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Hi,

The seats kill my back!

Thanks for replies....
Adjust the seat first, including the height no matter how weird it might feel to do so so your upper leg has proper support and then adjust the steering column.
I found reclining the lumbar part slightly more and pulling the steering wheel closer along with lifting the seat halfway up solves the problem for me, I had 400 miles run in one shot on few occasions with no problems.