3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Touch Up Paint

I have about a half cm sized nick on my hood where a rock must have hit it; paint is missing now.

Anyone have experience with touch up paint? Any tips or tricks?

Also is this something that a dealership will fix?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm still testing the Lanka chip repair kit. It takes plenty of coats to raise the paint even with the rest. So far I like it, but haven't sealed the repair yet.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have used touch up paint on my GD3 with acceptable results. My recommendation is to try not to go overboard because touch up paint really doesn't look great. It is probably better if you have a color like black, red or white but if your color is metallic, then the touch up job is always apparent.

My recommendation is to try and make sure there is not rust. When I see rust, I scratch the area with a safety pin down to bare metal and give it a spray with rust converter, just to be sure. Once evaporated, simply dab some touch up paint in there. Rust or no, be sure to prep the area with rubbing or isopropyl alcohol or else the touch up paint will not adhere properly.

I recommend buying some paint thinner and shop towels. If you feel like your touch up job wasn't good, you can sweep up the mess with the thinner and start over. Another trick is to wait five-ten minutes and then fold a shop towel with some thinner over an old credit card or gym membership card and gently pass over the touch up job. Depending on how cured the paint is, it will remove minute amounts of touch up paint and can make a blob look more flush with the body work. Be careful because if you don't wait enough or are too rough with the thinner, you'll just wipe off the paint but that's no big deal just start again!

I'd let the paint cure for 24 hours if possible then go over with clear coat. The main goal with touch up paint is not so much the looks but to protect the bare metal from corrosion. Once the bare metal starts to rust underneath the paint, you'll be on the loosing end of a constant battle.

Many of my touch ups are only visible when looking from less than a yard away and have been holding up for going on two years. I've even buffed over them.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I put a ding in my bumper on DAY 2 of ownership :/ I haven't fixed it yet, but my research tells me that the brush in the touch-up paint is too aggressive and that you might be better off buying an artist's brush for better control. Good luck! Post how it goes.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I've had good luck with both of these guys, the Dr Color Chip being the easier one to use because it's a kit so I'd lean toward that one if you're a beginner.

Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Automotive Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch - Order Pro Grade Paint - PaintScratch.com

The best advice I can give, find a good tutorial online, take your time, and DON'T get touchup paint from the dealership. I used paintscratch.com on my old Mustang and Dr Color Chip on my BMW and both came out quite nicely.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Wow thanks for all the suggestions! Any opinions on the touch up pen products?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Why not get touch-up paint from the dealership? Is it just a mark-up/price issue or more than that?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:34 PM
I have a metallic gray paint. I'm concerned about doing a touch up myself, though it's definitely an option. Has anyone had the dealership do a touch up? Is it worth paying for? Is it over priced? Any info in this regard is appreciated.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Picked up my touch up paint today at my Dealer .
I have been buying touch up paint for all my vehicles for over 45 years .
But today I was surprised to be given a small box with two diffrent bottles in it .
One is the base coat and the other is the top coat .
My FIT is White Orchid Pearl , so I don't know if all Honda colors would come in two separate bottles .
Anyway , a new surprise for an old guy like me .