3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

6MT guys, does your clutch pedal hit the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 PM
6MT guys, does your clutch pedal hit the floor?

I ordered some pedal covers and when installing them noticed the carpet under the clutch pedal was starting to wear. This is only with 2k miles.

Unfortunately for me I started with the gas pedal and noticed it when putting the clutch pedal on. I took it to the dealer and they blamed the aftermarket pedals. I had to go back later for the rear fender liners and I put the stock pedal cover on. They told me "Theres no way the rubber pedal will wear the carpet like that." even though it is very clear the pedal hits the carpet. They then told me that the other cars on the lot hit the floor too.

Just wanted to see if this is common or not on the GKs. This is my 7th manual car and I've never seen the pedal actually hit the floor instead of a stopper on the firewall.

Last edited by roksta; 04-24-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Pix didn't show
Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 PM
I never noticed. Will check and get back to you

Old 04-21-2015, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I just looked at mine, and, yes, my clutch pedal also hits the floor. Hasn't hurt the carpet yet because I have Weathertech floor liners in the car, and the pedal hits the floor liner, and not the carpet.

I can't remember if this also happened in my '09 Fit. I guess I never paid any attention.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 AM
I too can confirm the pedal hits the floor, but the rubber show on the pedal isn't causing any major damage to the carpet, though there is a slight divot in there. I'll look closer at the clutch pedal arm and see if there is an extreme travel limit screw or something.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
This is the 7th manual transmission car I've owned, but to be honest, I have no idea if any of them ever had a "stop" for the clutch pedal. It's just something I've never noticed in the 36 years I've driven manual transmission cars.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
This is the 7th manual transmission car I've owned, but to be honest, I have no idea if any of them ever had a "stop" for the clutch pedal. It's just something I've never noticed in the 36 years I've driven manual transmission cars.
Intriguing. I've owned 13 manual cars and the clutch has never had a stop that I knew of. They would I imagine all hit the floor. I'm guessing I only depress it enough to make the gear change, thus never making contact with the floor.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Here's the "stopper" on the firewall I was talking about:

It seems like the stock one is too mushy and gives too much when the clutch arm hits it. I had some rubber matt laying around thats about 1-2mm thick and thought I'd tuck it up there to try. It might be all in my head, but the car seems to shift smoother now and best of all the pedal doesn't hit the carpet anymore.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by roksta
I ordered some pedal covers and when installing them noticed the carpet under the clutch pedal was starting to wear. This is only with 2k miles.

Unfortunately for me I started with the gas pedal and noticed it when putting the clutch pedal on. I took it to the dealer and they blamed the aftermarket pedals. I had to go back later for the rear fender liners and I put the stock pedal cover on. They told me "Theres no way the rubber pedal will wear the carpet like that." even though it is very clear the pedal hits the carpet. They then told me that the other cars on the lot hit the floor too.

Just wanted to see if this is common or not on the GKs. This is my 7th manual car and I've never seen the pedal actually hit the floor instead of a stopper on the firewall.

Mine hits the floor, but no noticeable wear after 10K miles

Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Intriguing. I've owned 13 manual cars and the clutch has never had a stop that I knew of. They would I imagine all hit the floor. I'm guessing I only depress it enough to make the gear change, thus never making contact with the floor.
How do you guys start your cars? I know older manual cars didn't generally have a neutral starter "safety" switch, but for cars made in the last twenty or thirty years....

Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 PM
I also have a small mark on the carpet. I have pedals diférentent I did not try again. For now I added a thin carpet.

[IMG]http://Name:  0vUvBSF.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  1.92 MB[/IMG]

[IMG]http://Name:  Mh2RIrX.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.16 MB[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2015, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
How do you guys start your cars? I know older manual cars didn't generally have a neutral starter "safety" switch, but for cars made in the last twenty or thirty years....
Not sure what you're asking. Most modern cars have an interlock requiring you to depress the clutch to allow the starter to engage. Most motorcycles, too, although my '93 Harley-Davidson doesn't. For a real thrill, hit the starter on a Harley big twin when it's in gear, and you forgot to pull in the clutch.