3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Freeway or Interstate driving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
Freeway or Interstate driving.

Guys anybody doing a freeway driving like more than 60 miles a day? Or have tried to take their Fit for interstate driving like 65 - 75 mph speed. How does the fit drives? Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 AM
My daily commute is 50 miles but I can't help you with the speed since I try to stay at or below 55mph. At these speeds though, it rides very nice. I have no issues with comfort during freeway driving.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
My daily commute is 50 miles but I can't help you with the speed since I try to stay at or below 55mph. At these speeds though, it rides very nice. I have no issues with comfort during freeway driving.
Did you have any problems with the wind noise? They said that the wind noise in the new fit is horrible?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Unidentified
Did you have any problems with the wind noise? They said that the wind noise in the new fit is horrible?
I haven't really noticed it at all. But I do have the radio on at all times, and as mentioned, I stay away from the "gas-sucking" speeds.

Last edited by GoBucky; 03-24-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, there's some wind noise, also road noise and engine noise. Can't say it bothers me, then again, my other ride is a Harley-Davidson, so take that for what it's worth.

I just turn up the radio.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks you guys for your replies. What about the acceleration when there are people in the passenger front and back? Does the vehiclehaving a hard time moving if there are max of 5 people inside?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
On the CVT with a recent road trip to Palm Springs (3 people and cargo) there are some pretty good hills and the cruise control kept the speedometer steady at 75 to 80mph up the hills with no problem. Passing now and then was also no problem.

Because the CVT is pretty quiet and the road noise is fairly well isolated, I do notice some wind noise when the radio is off because the car is pretty quiet inside. It is actually quieter inside than my 2002 Odyssey overall.

If you had 5 people inside with the CVT, you will notice the engine noise more during acceleration because of the increased RPMs to compensate, but once up to speed, it will be pretty quiet and still reasonably responsive when you need it.

I've also driven the manual and had no complaints with responsiveness, but you have to choose your gears before stomping on it.

You should consider test driving with and without loaded capacity for a first hand experience.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
I commute 29 miles each way. About 25 of that is highway and I'd say a total of 18 miles is where the posted speed limit is 65mph. Its just me driving and no passengers but I am pleased with the pick the Fit (CVT) has. I've yet to be in a situation where I didn't have enough power on the interstate. And that's with the econ button on. Generally I put cruise control on 69-70 and stay in the right lane and pass people when necessary (which is more often than you'd think).

Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks you guys for your replies. What about the acceleration when there are people in the passenger front and back? Does the vehiclehaving a hard time moving if there are max of 5 people inside?
The most I've had was a total of 3 people in my Fit and I didn't notice any loss of power or difficulty accelerating. The 3 people however, were not that heavy.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
I was searching for what the top speed of the Fit is when I found this thread, governor regulated or not, because I hit 105 this week while passing a group of cars, in eco mode, on a toll road with a speed limit of 85mph. I was surprised by the available acceleration based upon rpm and throttle angle while at that speed. It seemed like the car could easily do much more. I was mid turn at 105 and even changed lanes into the apex to let another car pass me, because 105mph is just too slow for some people, and was pleased at the stability of the car and the traction of those crappy stock Firestone tires. This had me wondering what the Fit's top speed was and if it was power or governor limited. My next up is to see where the cruise control tops out at. One of my other cars won't engage cruise beyond 90mph, which is annoying, but also a good safety measure to limit stupid people like me that want to set the cruise in triple digits. The fit says I am getting a tad over 37 mpg, even with my driving habits, which beats the hell out of 2 other vehicles that get: 13mpg truck and 18mpg legacy gtl. Verrrry nice!

Last edited by YourConfused; 03-24-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by YourConfused
I hit 105 this week while passing a group of cars, in eco mode, on a toll road with a speed limit of 85mph.
Did you happen to notice what the RPMs were at that speed?

Passed at 105mph? Is that Pflugerville, Germany?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Did you happen to notice what the RPMs were at that speed?

Passed at 105mph? Is that Pflugerville, Germany?
I didn't take specific note of the rpm, the pedal wasn't floored, but you could hear the engine easily over the surprising lack of wind noise. There was the typical front window noise that starts at 32 mph, but it still wasn't overly loud, so I would think the rpm was somewhere around 5-5.5k rpm. I'll update once I have a real answer though.

Last edited by YourConfused; 03-25-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 PM
Guys anybody doing a freeway driving like more than 60 miles a day? Or have tried to take their Fit for interstate driving like 65 - 75 mph speed. How does the fit drives? Thanks

After driving my Fit 500 miles on the freeway last month, I got a good feel for the car. Although the Fit is fantastic in the city, and even shines on hilly roads. However, the freeway is not where it belongs. I thought mine was extremely noisy (revving at over 3200rpm at 70mph), road noise was apparent, and the car was easily influenced to drift off course with road imperfections.

However, coming from a more substantial Ford Focus, this car does seem crude in comparison. However, it still does beat the economy cars of yore

Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 AM
Cool

Hello everyone. I got my gk a month ago. Driving with it on the freeway feels a bit twitchy for me. Am I the only one experiencing this? Especially when driving on the freeway that has drain grooves. Feels as if I was driving on a windy day, not stable. Gets really annoying.

Last edited by dvoisawesome; 03-26-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:27 PM
I've got a 80+ mile one way commute, up and down the entire length of the 405 (from where it splits in the south, and joins back together with the 5 in the north)

The Fit isn't horrible on the freeway, but it is loud. Lots of road noise, lots of wind noise, lots of engine noise.
I cruise at 65 the entire way at 4:30 in the morning, never hit the brake.
When you hit a hill, the car bogs down, then eventually reaches the correct speed. Takes about 4 seconds to do so.

With other people in the vehicle the car is noticeably slower. Whereas before it took 4 seconds, on the same hill it would take maybe 7.

The worst part power-wise is there is no passing power in the vehicle. If I need to make a quick move and accelerate in a merge, or have to move over three lanes in 200 feet for one of those stupid onramp-offramp loops, it's one of the only times I've ever felt unsafe driving a vehicle.

One, the stumble/delay from pushing the pedal to actually accelerating as the CVT has a slight stall as RPMs jump, belts adjust, and finally the wheels put more power down.
Two, the car just doesn't have a lot of power, passing, merging, whatever.

I will say the car has great visibility so you CAN see the other cars coming at you at great speed as you try not to get flattened and speed up.

So I've resorted to just dangerously moving over slowly, braking, and waiting for another slow car to let me in because I won't be able to jump into a fast-moving lane without causing someone else to curse me out.

Mine is a CVT btw. The above is when I'm driving in normal mode. Eco mode, forget even trying. Sport mode is a bit better, and paddles help a little, but theres just no getting around the lack of power.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:15 PM
...Passed at 105mph? Is that Pflugerville, Germany?
Texas opens highway with 85 mph speed limit, fastest in America -- is it too fast? | Fox News

Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
...The worst part power-wise is there is no passing power in the vehicle. If I need to make a quick move and accelerate in a merge, or have to move over three lanes in 200 feet for one of those stupid onramp-offramp loops, it's one of the only times I've ever felt unsafe driving a vehicle.
Perhaps you should rethink your driving technique. I drive those kinds of interchanges in LA regularly in a 50-HP VW without feeling unsafe. True, the Fit isn't suited to extreme cut-and-thrust driving styles, but with a little forethought it works fine for anyone who isn't bent on winning the Onramp Grand Prix. Avoiding rapid darting and cutting-in maneuvers is safer and less annoying to drivers around you too.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 03-26-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit has plenty of power...for me. IMO if you want more power, and that's perfectly fine, then perhaps the Fit isn't for you.

When I hit the highways I pass plenty of people... I get passed a lot too though. But nothing has changed from my impresa days. And that had plenty more power. I am perfectly content to hit cruise control and stick to that speed as best I can for my whole trip (changing lanes as need be).

Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Are you in a manual or automatic?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Yes, there's some wind noise, also road noise and engine noise. Can't say it bothers me, then again, my other ride is a Harley-Davidson, so take that for what it's worth.

I just turn up the radio.
Ha! My other ride is a Honda ST1300. Just as quiet as the Fit.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
The worst part power-wise is there is no passing power in the vehicle. REDACTED
Man, something is wrong with your car. I pass cars all the time. And I love the sound of that VTEC when it's digging in and I'm a slow driver.

My girlfriend drives faster and I'm always telling her when she's over the speed limit. There's plenty of passing power.

Quick Reply: Freeway or Interstate driving.