3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Freeway or Interstate driving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Did you happen to notice what the RPMs were at that speed?

Passed at 105mph? Is that Pflugerville, Germany?
4100rpm @ 105mph

Nice thing is that at that speed I can get a ticket and still take defensive driving to keep it off my record.

Last edited by YourConfused; 03-29-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by festiboi
After driving my Fit 500 miles on the freeway last month, I got a good feel for the car. Although the Fit is fantastic in the city, and even shines on hilly roads. However, the freeway is not where it belongs. I thought mine was extremely noisy (revving at over 3200rpm at 70mph), road noise was apparent, and the car was easily influenced to drift off course with road imperfections.

However, coming from a more substantial Ford Focus, this car does seem crude in comparison. However, it still does beat the economy cars of yore
Originally Posted by dvoisawesome
Hello everyone. I got my gk a month ago. Driving with it on the freeway feels a bit twitchy for me. Am I the only one experiencing this? Especially when driving on the freeway that has drain grooves. Feels as if I was driving on a windy day, not stable. Gets really annoying.
Originally Posted by Evesowner
The Fit has plenty of power...for me. IMO if you want more power, and that's perfectly fine, then perhaps the Fit isn't for you.

When I hit the highways I pass plenty of people... I get passed a lot too though. But nothing has changed from my impresa days. And that had plenty more power. I am perfectly content to hit cruise control and stick to that speed as best I can for my whole trip (changing lanes as need be).
Mine is the CVT and I always drive it in the drive position, not the sport, in ECO mode and feel it is anemic around town, but feel it has plenty of power on the freeway. I drive 65 miles a day commuting for work, which is why I bought the car, and aside from the twitchy feeling the car gives thanks to wind and road grooves it has no problem keeping up with fast moving traffic. I think the tires suck and having owned the car for 3 weeks now I have already ordered a new set of tires, and wheels, which I hope calms the car down a bit. I should have the new rubber installed later this week and have a road trip planned for next weekend, so I should know if it is the mushy suspension or the tires that make the car feel so twitchy and prone to be influenced by outside forces such as wind and road grooves.

Last edited by YourConfused; 03-29-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
I find it interesting that there are a number of people who complain about the tires and then a number that praise them. So far I haven't seen reason to think they suck. Nor have I seen reason to think they are anything special.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
I find it interesting that there are a number of people who complain about the tires and then a number that praise them. So far I haven't seen reason to think they suck. Nor have I seen reason to think they are anything special.
Agree. Not 100% terrible but nothing to write home about. (Talking the Firestone's here). At least they aren't loud. Just had mine rotated yesterday with first oil change at 9068 miles (15% oil life left)

To answer the original question, I find the Fit decent on the highway,especially for the subcompact it is. Not too loud (with the CVT) and pretty stable. It is easily blown around by wind though. Most of my cruising is between 65 and 75, maybe occasionally seeing 80 when passing.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gweeper64
Agree. Not 100% terrible but nothing to write home about. (Talking the Firestone's here). At least they aren't loud. Just had mine rotated yesterday with first oil change at 9068 miles (15% oil life left)

To answer the original question, I find the Fit decent on the highway,especially for the subcompact it is. Not too loud (with the CVT) and pretty stable. It is easily blown around by wind though. Most of my cruising is between 65 and 75, maybe occasionally seeing 80 when passing.
About the tires, I misspoke. They are not that bad, being an all-season tire, but what I am use to driving on are classified as extreme performance summer tires, and I would postulate that I initially thought these stock tires sucked based upon the delta between the different classifications of tires and their innate differing performance characteristics. In perspective, as to what they are, what they claim to be and how they actually are, the tires are not terrible really.
I hope the new tires perform better, even though the stock tires are up to the tasks the car designers envisioned.
It seems kinda silly that I am watching mpg when I am going 80+ mph daily, but it is what it is.

Last edited by YourConfused; 03-30-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by YourConfused
It seems kinda silly that I am watching mpg when I am going 80+ mph daily, but it is what it is.
There's nothing "silly" about watching mpg at any speed, especially in this car. It is both fun and rewarding.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
About the tires, I misspoke. They are not that bad, being an all-season tire, but what I am use to driving on are classified as extreme performance summer tires, and I would postulate that I initially thought these stock tires sucked based upon the delta between the different classifications of tires and their innate differing performance characteristics. In perspective, as to what they are, what they claim to be and how they actually are, the tires are not terrible really.
I hope the new tires perform better, even though the stock tires are up to the tasks the car designers envisioned.
First day driving the Toll road and I think the new 205/45/17 Potenza RE760 Sport tires are going to make me much happier. I will give it a couple hundred miles before giving my opinion though, but NVH is hardly increased while traction is now impressive for a stock suspension.
Thus far>

Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
There's nothing "silly" about watching mpg at any speed, especially in this car. It is both fun and rewarding.
And some times quite depressing.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
And some times quite depressing.

Not to me. Then again, I tend to drive like the old man that I am.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:37 PM
My experience:

Daily commute is about 30 miles. When I can, I cruise at about 60 - 75mph. I usually leave ECO mode on, but when I'm getting ready to pass people or make tight cuts in traffic (which is often in Dallas....idiot drivers going 45 in a 60 /rant) I turn the ECO off.

With ECO on acceleration isn't bad. I can get up to 40 in about 5ish seconds without flooring it. With ECO off I'm ready to take someone at the redline. Admittedly, I've adjusted to driving with ECO on and when I turn it off, I find myself jerking forward because I apply too much pressure

Whenever I'm traveling long distances 50+ miles I usually stick it in cruise control between 65 - 75 mph and can still get solid gas mileage. Any more than that is getting into the burn zone, so I try not to go past 75. I was averaging about 32mpg when I first got the car, but now I'm upward of 37mpg

Commentary on the tires:
I've had terrible experience with Firestone tires in the past. My last car, had 3 brand new tires replaced within 7 months...one of them twice. So far, these tires have held up. However, they wear easily. On the flipside, it's nice that the standard ones are "all-season". They helped a lot when the Snowpocalypse hit North Texas the last couple of months, even with moderate tread.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 PM
I find it interesting that there are a number of people who complain about the tires and then a number that praise them. So far I haven't seen reason to think they suck.
The main defect is that they say "Firestone" on the side.

"There was a documented coverup by Ford and Firestone of the 500 defect" [Joan Claybrook, NHTSA administrator]
"Ford and Firestone had early knowledge of tread separation in Firestone Tires fitted to Ford Explorer vehicles but at no point informed the NHTSA of their findings" [Clarence Ditlow; Executive Director for the Centre for Auto Safety]
After the 500 and the ATX disasters does anyone want to give Firestone another chance? I'm very disappointed that Honda would take such a risk with their customers.

Yes, Bridgestone owns Firestone, but the companies operate separately with Firestone remaining the cheap "engineered to price" tire for OEMs. I'm willing to bet that JDM Fits don't get Firestones.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
My husband drives 130 miles daily for work in the Fit (65 each way), and he loves the car. He says there has been no noise issue for him, the car drives smoothly at that speed, and he is spot-on in mileage based on the prediction for the EX-L version - 38-39 mpg on the way into work and 39-40 mpg on the way home (more uphill to work, though lots of hills both ways). He does use Eco mode and does not really use cruise control b/c of all the hills.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I personally don't like ECO mode because the throttle does not respond to input without delay, so I don't know whether to press harder to accelerate and then it finally kicks in. A pretty frustrating way to drive IMOH.

As for hills, the best thing about the CVT (over standard automatics) is how well the cruise control holds speed going up and down hills without lurching.

In ECO mode, (I tried it), the cruise control is not as good on the hills and decreases speed a little. So unless you have shaky foot, I don't see a lot of value for the ECO button myself. Just my opinion on it.

I average 40 to 42 (trip computer) running at 75mph between san diego and palm springs, roughly a 2 hour mostly highway drive.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by tbFit
In ECO mode, (I tried it), the cruise control is not as good on the hills and decreases speed a little. So unless you have shaky foot, I don't see a lot of value for the ECO button myself. Just my opinion on it.
Yes, it's a matter of priorities, the ECON mode was designed not to hold speed on the inclines since fighting gravity uses a lot more fuel than normal driving. So, in that regard, if fuel efficiency is your priority, then using cruise control in ECON mode is actually a good thing. If fuel efficiency is not your priority, I can see where that slowdown on the inclines would be frustrating.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
I just got a 2015 Fit EX (CVT) and while doing some test driving on Interstate 80 (65 mph) and Interstate 5 (70 mph) I noticed the following:

1. Ride is much smoother than my previous car, a 2012 Honda Fit Sport (5-speed auto). You don't feel every bump on the road anymore.
2. The powertrain is VASTLY better, with strong acceleration even at freeway speeds.
3. The power steering is just a tad overboosted, so you do have to be careful holding on to the steering wheel to keep the car going straight.