3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GPS advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
The last time I tried to manually install the new update on my older GPS it did not have sufficient space to hold the new 'maps'. I hope the newer units have more RAM to actually accommodate these 'map updates', otherwise the 'free map updates' feature is worthless.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM
My $0.02

If you have a smart phone try the WAZE App.

https://www.waze.com/

Way better, and free

Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MJS PA USA
If you have a smart phone try the WAZE App.

https://www.waze.com/

Way better, and free
Thx & agreed, used that today for traffic info.

I got my older GPS free from a family member, so I can't complain about the investment. However, the main problem with dedicated GPS units is that they still remain a theft/break-in target if you leave them in the car in the most convenient and useful location and if you get in and out a lot, it becomes a huge hassle to disconnect and hide the GPS unit. But, given Honda charges $1,000 for the navigation option, I had no desire to use theirs and not including the Honda subscription/update fees that make the smart phone a much more viable option over time.

The only downside with the smart phone approach is loss of maps or navigation in remote areas without good cell coverage. And although you can mitigate that to some extent with some apps and caching, unless you plan ahead, you are likely to have situations where the smart phone does not work as well as a dedicated GPS unit.

Its not clear cut one way or the other, and depends on your circumstances and travel patterns as to which method makes the most sense.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by tbFit
The last time I tried to manually install the new update on my older GPS it did not have sufficient space to hold the new 'maps'. I hope the newer units have more RAM to actually accommodate these 'map updates', otherwise the 'free map updates' feature is worthless.
That would be unfortunate. I've never had any issues downloading new map software to my Garmin, which is 3-4 years old (can't remember exactly). The lifetime updates came free with the unit.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by dave92029
I have a Garmin Nuvi 42, very inexpensive and works fine. It sits in left side, driver's cup holder.

I did not get the map updates, because the roads in my area don't change that much year to year and I would much rather just buy a new GPS every 2-3 years to get the newest features.
Cup holder? That's a great idea, I've been trying mine in a number of locations and only the top of the windshield seemed to be okay.
The updates are more about keeping up with POI's, for small businesses change a lot.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by tbFit
I have an older Garmin 1450LT (lifetime) and had a problem last year with insufficient space. I had to put in an old microSD card that I wasn't using. I would think most GPS units have an SD slot.

I also mounted my GPS in the left cup holder using the i.Trek Garmin Nuvi GPS Cup Holder Mount from Amazon. Previously, I used an Arkon GPS mount using one of the center cup holders but it was harder to see.

I hear people say they are worried about leaving GPS units out in visible locations because of theft potential. Now that GPS is available for under $100 and most smartphones already have them, is this really still a problem? A used (stolen) GPS really isn't worth much.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by logdog
I hear people say they are worried about leaving GPS units out in visible locations because of theft potential. Now that GPS is available for under $100 and most smartphones already have them, is this really still a problem? A used (stolen) GPS really isn't worth much.
I don't have any evidence one way or another, but really wouldn't want to take that risk. For a lot of addicts, who are looking for any way they can to get that next high, nothing is safe. It depends too on what areas of the city you park in.

Last edited by GoBucky; 02-28-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Yeah, the people who do smash and grabs aren't exactly your intellectual type of criminal... So I doubt they are asking themselves any questions - they just see something (anything) left in the car, and break in to steal it. They've been known to steal change from the cupholders, so yeah.

I park in a dimly lit city parking garage, and recently got my windows tinted. Paired with the all black interior the tint made a noticeable difference in how much can be seen from the outside. I normally just put the bean bag holder and GPS into the center console, and don't have to worry about any excess (black) wires showing since you can't really see them. Plan to get a black sunglasses holder too - I tuck that next to the AUX port/USB/power socket.