3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Estimated MPG vs. Actual MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
Finally had an opportunity to calculate my MPG at the pump after filling up 7.753 gallons and traveling 285.9 miles. On-board computer calculated (and yes I know this is likely a computer estimation) 38.6 MPG, but my actual MPG was 36.9. I'm not really complaining as this is a pretty narrow margin and still great mileage, but I was wondering: has anyone else calculated their MPG the old fashioned way and also noticed a discrepancy? Thanks!
there has to be a difference.
when you refilled just how accurately did you refill to the same level as thelast time. truth is not very.
and the dash gas reading is no more accurate than your guess. It measures the swing of a float on a circle over vertical movement.
If you truly want to measure mpg you have to fill the tank, weigh it to 0.1 lb accurately and refill to exactly the same weight of the car in same condition and measure the gas refill used to calc the mpg. difficult to do? sure, but its the only way to be sure.
the better mpg measures the gas input from injector rate and calculates mpg from accumulated gas throughput the accuracy is stated 1%.

Last edited by mahout; 01-30-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Just replaced my 08 Fit with 205000 with a MT '15. I always calculate miles driven by gallons put in. In both cars, I average 42-48mpg. I drive conservatively most of the time. One thing I learned from the 08, is that cheap gas rarely contains injector cleaner, unless you're using Costco's gas. At about 160000 miles, the car developed a slight miss. Not enough to throw a code, but noticeable. Honda wanted to replace the coils at first, then suggested replacing the injectors. I used a high priced cleaner and it remedied the problem. Techron works well, too, so I add a bit when I'm using cheap gas.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm down to one bar on the fuel gauge so I'll be doing my second fill-up very soon. I'm eager to see how close my ScanGauge is calibrated after the 1st fill. I should be able to fine-tune it a little bit more with the second fill. Is it weird that I'm actually looking forward to filling the tank?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
just did the math and the FIT's meter is 2mpg optimistic...average 40mpg while math said 38mpg average

Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
What combination of things are you all using to achieve the gas mileage? Econ or not, D or S? Maybe it is the really cold weather, or all the hills or the fact that my City commute is in traffic of less than 10 miles....but my mpg is around 29 to 31. I am a conscientious driver and usually have great gas mileage. I have gotten 43 to 44 on the highway in longer trips, but having owned the EX for just a month, I am wondering what is going on.
Thanks for your input!!!!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by firsttimefitter
What combination of things are you all using to achieve the gas mileage? Econ or not, D or S? Maybe it is the really cold weather, or all the hills or the fact that my City commute is in traffic of less than 10 miles....but my mpg is around 29 to 31. I am a conscientious driver and usually have great gas mileage. I have gotten 43 to 44 on the highway in longer trips, but having owned the EX for just a month, I am wondering what is going on.
Thanks for your input!!!!
You will never get decent MPG figures on a crowded commute. Throw in cold weather, a short commute, hills, etc and you're fighting an uphill battle. To answer your question, Econ button is always pressed, tranny is always in "D", minimize brake use, don't exceed 60mph, all the usual stuff.....

Old 02-06-2015, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Short drives are horrible for MPG. The car barely has time to warm up and you are there. Driving when the car is not warmed up (blue temp light showing) is bad for MPG. My drive to work is only 8 miles. I am getting a bit over 30 MPG in city driving.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
10 mile drive to work, Econ button off, almost all D with rare use of S, no real effort to light foot it after break-in, and warm it up in the driveway when the missus wants that. Mileage has gone down for the winter with those and the winter blend gas. OTOH, price per gallon has gone down as well.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveSatch
Short drives are horrible for MPG. The car barely has time to warm up and you are there. Driving when the car is not warmed up (blue temp light showing) is bad for MPG. My drive to work is only 8 miles. I am getting a bit over 30 MPG in city driving.
If you move about 25 miles from work, your mileage will go up considerably, especially in the winter. Or, stay where you are and get a job farther away.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Is there something significant about the water temp reaching 127F? That's what my Scangauge says when the cold engine light turns off.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
Is there something significant about the water temp reaching 127F? That's what my Scangauge says when the cold engine light turns off.
Mine, too. The light has to turn off sometime, and I guess Honda thought 127° would be a good time. Mine stabilizes at between 177 and 180°. That's when the heat from the heater is best. One thing about these cars, with such a small amount of coolant, the heater is not going to drive you out of the car.

On the other hand, if the temp starts to go up when you're stuck in traffic on a hot day, turning on the heat will bring the coolant temp right down.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
My actual too is somewhat under what was calculated most recent fillup 35.5, computer was stating 37.0. Oh well. It's fine. That's still great overall gas mileage, from a fun to drive manual transmission.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fxwebdesigner
My actual too is somewhat under what was calculated most recent fillup 35.5, computer was stating 37.0. Oh well. It's fine. That's still great overall gas mileage, from a fun to drive manual transmission.
Do you stop pumping the first time the pump clicks off? I've found that if I do that, both MPG figures come very close to agreeing, and sometimes the car's estimate is low.

As you said, the Fit is giving us great overall mileage.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I have learned not to top off.

I am pretty happy with that new direct injection, and overall earth dreams design because I use the less efficient MT and don't have a light foot, so I am very happy indeed.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveSatch
Instant mpg indicator shows less than 20 mpg for first couple of miles.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fxwebdesigner
Yes I have learned not to top off.

I am pretty happy with that new direct injection, and overall earth dreams design because I use the less efficient MT and don't have a light foot, so I am very happy indeed.
How much gas does it take to fill ( no top off) from gas light. Mine took 8.2 gallons. I think, gas tank can hold 10.5g. It has 2.5 gallon left in tank even after giving gas light. Looks like, Honda doesn't consider this gas for calculating range.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
How much gas does it take to fill ( no top off) from gas light. Mine took 8.2 gallons. I think, gas tank can hold 10.5g. It has 2.5 gallon left in tank even after giving gas light. Looks like, Honda doesn't consider this gas for calculating range.
I hate seeing the mileage drop for any reason - like cold weather and short trips - because that contributes to the overall average. I averaged 44.7 for the first 3,600 miles. Then winter arrived. Now I'm done to around 40.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ritholtz
.......Mine took 8.2 gallons......tank can hold 10.5g. ........has 2.5 gallon left in tank even after giving gas light........
GK capacity is 10.6g. With the UltraGauge hooked up, have gotten the tank down to .60 g left. When one bar on the gas gauge goes on, there's 2 gallons left.
The safe "rules of thumb" - when the low gas light activates (2 bars), we'll have, at the very least, 50 miles to find another gas station.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
GK capacity is 10.6g. With the UltraGauge hooked up, have gotten the tank down to .60 g left. When one bar on the gas gauge go, there's 2 gallons left.
The safe "rules of thumb" - when the low gas light activates (2 bars), we'll have, at the very least, 50 miles to find another gas station.
Assuming the gauge is correct. It should be with such a new car. My last car, a '97, had the gauge accurate til half a tank, then dropped off fast. The needle at E was still about 1/3 full. I think those days are probably gone since the gauges are digital now.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DaBinChe
just did the math and the FIT's meter is 2mpg optimistic...average 40mpg while math said 38mpg average
I got exactly the same result.

Quick Reply: Estimated MPG vs. Actual MPG