3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When to buy a fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:25 PM
When to buy a fit

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I'd like to thank you guys in advance for taking the time to read this thread.

I've currently owned the Honda 2004 Pilot, and previously owned the 94 Honda civic. I'm contemplating purchasing the car but I wasn't really sure when to buy the car.

My first idea would be to purchase the car during the holiday season with the "Happy Honda days" deals coming but I'm not exactly sure how I can benefit from that. Would someone please explain? Any pointers?

Also the other thing I am thinking about is purchasing the car in late 2015 so I can hopefully buy it used. Knowing Honda's reputation, I don't think the car will lose much value... Personally, I can afford the car either way but I'm not sure what would be the best bang for my buck. What do you think? Should I wait for late 2015 to buy a used model or should I buy it outright?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Buy a used model

Old 11-11-2014, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Boy, if you thought finding a new 2015 Honda Fit in the color and transmission you wanted was tough, wait until you try finding a used Fit using the same criteria!

I would first decide what your perfect Honda Fit would be, then decide if your willing to take the risk of not ever finding one used. You gave the time frame as 1 year (next year), now if you expand your time horizon by say, five years, then I would say you have a better chance.

Even used, Honda Fit's go fast and are far and few between. I sold our 2008 first generation, and have not seen another like it since (except in the Sport version, but even then, not in Milano Red).

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM
when you have money.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Buying at the end of a model year will always be the best time if they are making room for a new model, but you also are sure to have slim pickings.

If you want a specific color/trim I would look at 2015's at the end of Nov/Dec as dealers are looking to meet quarter/year goals.

If your OK with whatever is left Sept/Oct of 2015 will probably be good, but even then don't expect huge discounts, the dealers don't seem to budge much off MSRP on Fits so savings will either be a small rebate or more likely a low finance rate.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fizz
Buying at the end of a model year will always be the best time if they are making room for a new model, but you also are sure to have slim pickings.

If you want a specific color/trim I would look at 2015's at the end of Nov/Dec as dealers are looking to meet quarter/year goals.

If your OK with whatever is left Sept/Oct of 2015 will probably be good, but even then don't expect huge discounts, the dealers don't seem to budge much off MSRP on Fits so savings will either be a small rebate or more likely a low finance rate.
You might be right but this is a very unusual model year. Honda skipped 2014 entirely in favor of 2015 model year so you may lose the advantage right there. You may not have the buying power until late next year when 2016 models starting to come around. So best bet is just keep an eye on specials and promotions. Fit is very much in high demand so keep an eye out for the model you want and specials. That's all you can do at this point.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
You are right the Fit will hold its value… meaning you'll pay almost as much for a used one as a new one. If financing is in the picture, you'll probably pay more interest on a used vehicle loan than a new one.

If you like your current dealership, just stop in periodically to see what they have coming in. When you see one you're interested in that has a VIN assigned, negotiate a deal and put a deposit on it. That way you can get it before the dealer loads it up with high-profit accessories you may not want.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I'd wait, see what the HR-V is all about, and then choose between that and a new 2016 Fit when hopefully they have all the bugs worked out.