3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Maintenance Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Maintenance Requirements

I use a program called Automotive Wolf to keep track of when maintenance is due. With the Fit, it looks that won't be needed, except to record what was done and when. According to what I see on Page 359 of the Owner's Manual, the car will indicate what maintenance procedures must be performed, A or B, displayed right below the clock. Below that it will show a number code, 1 - 5, indicating other services that should be performed. I prefer the old fashioned method of giving the owner the time or mileage requirements, but I guess this is the wave of the future. Some cars don't even have dipstick anymore. I usually perform maintenance before it is absolutely required.

I bought two five-gallon containers of 0W-20 synthetic oil and oil filters yesterday. There weren't many choices for the oil. I got Quaker State for about $28 for five quarts (including tax). The Mobil 1 was a few dollar more.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Create an account on the Honda Owners Site and you can store the radio code, get recall and other notices, and track the maintenance there for each of your Hondas.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 PM
If you look in the owner's manual, there are a few maintenance items that are time based and that the maintenance minder won't tell you about. Offhand, the oil should be changed after a year if you don't drive enough for it to call for an oil change before that, and the brake fluid replaced every three years (regardless of milage or lack thereof) since it tends to absorb water from the air.

For oil changes, the maintenance minder is a good bit more accurate than a simple fixed milage because it takes into account your specific driving conditions. People here who have had oil analyses done have pretty much universally found that it's quite good, and a little bit conservative (i.e. you could get a bit more life out of the oil than it suggests).

Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
If you look in the owner's manual, there are a few maintenance items that are time based and that the maintenance minder won't tell you about. Offhand, the oil should be changed after a year if you don't drive enough for it to call for an oil change before that, and the brake fluid replaced every three years (regardless of milage or lack thereof) since it tends to absorb water from the air.

For oil changes, the maintenance minder is a good bit more accurate than a simple fixed milage because it takes into account your specific driving conditions. People here who have had oil analyses done have pretty much universally found that it's quite good, and a little bit conservative (i.e. you could get a bit more life out of the oil than it suggests).
I too follow the oil maintenance minder and feel comfortable of following it. I am used to old school of changing oil every 3K miles but with new cars you can do it at every 10k miles which is great. Maybe someday we will see 100K oil changes. Oil tech is getting better as time goes on.