3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Questions on Auto Headlight mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Questions on Auto Headlight mode

I love the Auto mode for the headlights but a couple of sections of the Owner's manual has me wondering if that mode is as useful as I originally thought.

On page 125

Daytime Running Lights

The high beam headlights come on slightly dimmer than normal when the following conditions have been met:

• The ignition switch is in ON.
• The headlight switch is off, or in Parking Light.
• The parking brake is released.
Note that it does not state that the Daytime Running Lights will be ON if the headlight switch is in the AUTO mode.

On page 122

We recommend that you turn on the lights manually when driving at night, in a dense fog, or in dark areas such as long tunnels or parking facilities.
Uh Why?

Isn't the purpose of the Auto Headlight mode to turn on the headlights when it is dark at night or in dark areas such as long tunnels or parking facilities.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like they are covering themselves in any way possible from a law suit.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by CIOWN
On page 125

Note that it does not state that the Daytime Running Lights will be ON if the headlight switch is in the AUTO mode.

On page 122

Uh Why?

Isn't the purpose of the Auto Headlight mode to turn on the headlights when it is dark at night or in dark areas such as long tunnels or parking facilities.
If the headlight position is on AUTO the DRLs will turn on if the three requirements are met as previously stated. The only way to not have the DRLs illuminate is to pull the fuse or to turn the car off or put it in park or pull the emergency/parking brake. The DRLs will obviously not be on when the headlights are illuminated.

Yes, the purpose of AUTO is to automatically sense when the headlights should be on and when it is not necessary for them to be on (at which point the DRLs come on when the headlights are dimmed). The sensitivity of AUTO should be able to be programmed somehow through the steering wheel controls. Check the Owner's Manual (which you already get kudos for reading and finding these questions) for information on how to adjust the sensitivity. The reason why Honda may suggest turning the headlights on manually is if the sensitivity is set too high for the conditions and you need light RIGHT NOW!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
The sensitivity of AUTO should be able to be programmed somehow through the steering wheel controls. Check the Owner's Manual (which you already get kudos for reading and finding these questions) for information on how to adjust the sensitivity. The reason why Honda may suggest turning the headlights on manually is if the sensitivity is set too high for the conditions and you need light RIGHT NOW!
I have not seen anything in the manual at all about adjusting the sensitivity of the auto headlight mode. I wish you could, because I wouldn't mind it being super sensitive.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:20 AM
I have a 2007 Fit but I also have a 2012 Civic Si and in the Civic you can adjust the sensitivity through the iMID which is accessed through the steering wheel controls. I'm just really unfamiliar with the 2015 Fit but thought it might be similar to my 3 year old Civic.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Or, if the sensitivity is too high they don't want the lights going out at night every time you pass under a bright street light or go into a "hyper-illuminated" tunnel like we are now getting in SoCal.