3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

If I live in Reno NV and buy a Fit in Sacramento CA which sales tax do I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:06 PM
If I live in Reno NV and buy a Fit in Sacramento CA which sales tax do I pay?

The NV dealers don't have as many Fits to choose from as California does. So If I live in Reno NV and buy a Fit in Sacramento CA which sales tax do I pay?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 PM
You pay sales tax wherever the car will be registered in. So you will pay Reno, NV sales tax rate.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Yup Reno, I did the same but opposite, bought a car in Reno and brought it to CA. I paid CA tax.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Indeedy...tax in the state you live/register the car in. It's technically a "use tax" rather than a sales tax, since it's applied to cars used (registered) rather than sold.

If you are not transferring plates from another car, you'll probably have to pay a $60 california fee for a transit permit, a temporary registration that allows you to drive the car back to Nevada where you'll register it. If you're transferring your plates, it might be legal to physically move them to the new car and drive it back with them, and then take care of the paperwork in Nevada once you get home. Check with the Nevada DMV to see if you can do this; state laws vary a fair bit.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Who do I pay the sales tax to? CA dealer or NV Dmv

Some CA, OR, and AZ dealers want me to pay their sales tax at the local rate. They say NV will then credit the use/sales tax transfer. If I paid CA/OR/AZ less than what NV charges then I pay the extra to NV. I hope that's the case. I DO NOT trust car dealers and want to make sure that I don't get cheated having to pay two states the complete sales/use tax for one new car!

Old 10-12-2014, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
You need to ask the Nevada DMV. What everyone so far has told you here is normally true, BUT......a state can be different. So call Nevada BMV and ask. I have done a lot of cross country transport of vehicles and every time I have to check with the states on both ends to find out the exact rules. I have one right now going from Ohio to California and a return trip from California to Ohio in a different vehicle. The rules are different depending an which way I'm going.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Wonder if Honda has a 800 number to clear up the issues with US dealers?

Yes, buying in CA/OR/AZ for registration in NV is not clear at all.

A couple of CA and NV dealers want $25 and $100 for a 1-way permit to drive the Fit from CA to NV, plus they will collect sales tax for which state I haven't ask yet. Others don't have permits and claim they must collect their state's sales tax which will be credited by NV.

I had initially assumed the dealers had the same DMV and sales tax story, but soon found out each has some items and not others. I.E. there's no similar policy.

Some are price gouging doc fee at $500 doc fee, others just want $75.

Wonder if Honda has a 800 number to clear up the issues with US dealers?

Old 10-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Oregon= no sales tax

There is zero sales tax here in Oregon, and you need an Oregon address to register your car here. Why any dealer here would tell you any different is beyond me. Everyone is right sales tax, registration etc. is for the state you live in. Oregon dealers would issue you a trip permit I'm guessing. Maybe you are dealing with inexperienced salespeople? Good luck.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Make sure that you have the situation nailed down with the Nevada DMV before you make a move to buy. Salesmen will tell you whatever will make a sale, but afterwards you might be holding the bag for double tax if you don't know the proper procedures.

If you are a AAA member you might try them for the information. Since they handle car registrations they might know the procedures you need.

Several decades ago my father moved from California to Nevada. He went down to the local Assessor's office (they handled car registrations in the Cow Counties) to switch to Nevada plates. The office lady looked at his California registration and said "Oh, you still have four months on this, come back then!" You surely can't do that today!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
OK here is the way it goes.

Drive away Permits. Each state can do as it wants on drive away permits. Once the vehicle leaves the state, All other states must follow the rules of the state where the vehicle was last registered / or titled. This becomes a gray area since a new vehicle was never registered in any state. It comes with a C of O (Certificate of Origin) from Honda and no title or registration.

There is a drive away permit that can be obtained in California at the BMV/DMV that allows you to drive the vehicle from there to an OUT OF STATE destination.) That determination of out of state destination is based on the address placed on the C of O or the Bill of sale.

These drive-away permits are not frequently used because in California on a used car sale the existing license plates stay on the vehicle and most new car sales are to people within the state.

Contact the BMV is you want and California drive away permit. NOT the dealer.

Another solution is to put a Nevada plate on it if that plate is registered to you an on existing vehicle. Nevada says you have 30 day for the date of purchase to actually process the transfer paperwork in Nevada.

Back on sales tax. Read the next to last sentence on this page:

Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees

You may want to read this page also:

Dealer Vehicle Sales Outside of Nevada

As said previously, this process varies state to state. According to the above pages, you may or may not pay the sales tax to another state. If you do pay it to another state, you will be credited in Nevada for that amount of out of state sales tax.

Again, Call your Nevada DMV/BMV and verify what I posted here.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:03 PM
I know I am rehashing an old thread here and that I maybe too late for the OP. But I did not see a resolution to the original question and my experience may help someone in a similar situation.

I live and register my vehicles in Las Vegas, NV.

My Fit was purchased early July in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I visited four dealerships and bought the EX from the only sales manager who was able to immediately answer my questions regarding purchasing a vehicle out of state.

This applies to a car bought in CA and delivered out of state. Other regions maybe different, so your mileage may vary. In summary, you do NOT have to pay sales tax twice. You have an option as to where you pay the tax, either in your home state or in the state of California.

If you wish to pay the sales tax from your home state, you are not allowed to drive the car off the lot once you purchase it. Having not paid the California sales tax and built in maintenance fees and weight fees, the state of CA doesn't appreciate you using there expensive and highly maintained highways.

So to if you decide to pay tax in your home state, you have two options:

A) Have the sales manager and a "bonded driver" (aka salesman) drive you and your brand new Fit to the California/Nevada stateline along with a follow vehicle and have your car delivered to you once across statelines.

B) Hire a trailer and have the vehicle shipped to your local Honda dealership and take delivery there.

Once in your homestate, you will register your car as normal and proceed to pay the salestax at your local friendly DMV.

If you would like to drive the car out of the state yourself, then you must pay the California sales tax for the previledge of using ther public roads. You will be issued a $20 one way pass to get you home and to your DMV.

I opted to pay the CA sales tax at 8.625% vs NV sales tax at 8.1%.

I didn't want to pay for a hauler and I didn't want someone else putting the first 800 miles on my car while I sat shotgun in a trailing vehicle with the uncomfortable silence between the sales manager and I.

But it was made very clear to me that I had to leave immediately and that I was to take the most direct route out of the state. No lolly gagging and doing side trips to the beaches of LA.

They were very adamant about the date that was put on my one way permit...preferring a sooner date. To appease them, I left for the scorching desert I call home the next day on a Friday, leaving the weekend filled sunny beaches of So. Cal for another day.

Once home, I went to my DMV and was given a moving permit that allowed me to drive the car to my insurance agent for pictures and to be placed on my policy. I then registered the car as normal...and did not have to pay sales tax again. Thankfully.

Yep

Last edited by Coffee; 08-13-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
The process varies from state to state. Around here you buy the car in the state of your choosing and pay sales tax in the state of residence when you register it. You may drive the vehicle for up to 30 days on a temporary (cardboard) plate before you register it. The dealers all have the cardboard plates available.

Every state is different and the interstate agreements between them vary.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coffee
I know I am rehashing an old thread here and that I maybe too late for the OP. But I did not see a resolution to the original question and my experience may help someone in a similar situation.

I live and register my vehicles in Las Vegas, NV.

My Fit was purchased early July in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I visited four dealerships and bought the EX from the only sales manager who was able to immediately answer my questions regarding purchasing a vehicle out of state.

This applies to a car bought in CA and delivered out of state. Other regions maybe different, so your mileage may vary. In summary, you do NOT have to pay sales tax twice. You have an option as to where you pay the tax, either in your home state or in the state of California.

If you wish to pay the sales tax from your home state, you are not allowed to drive the car off the lot once you purchase it. Having not paid the California sales tax and built in maintenance fees and weight fees, the state of CA doesn't appreciate you using there expensive and highly maintained highways.

So to if you decide to pay tax in your home state, you have two options:

A) Have the sales manager and a "bonded driver" (aka salesman) drive you and your brand new Fit to the California/Nevada stateline along with a follow vehicle and have your car delivered to you once across statelines.

B) Hire a trailer and have the vehicle shipped to your local Honda dealership and take delivery there.

Once in your homestate, you will register your car as normal and proceed to pay the salestax at your local friendly DMV.

If you would like to drive the car out of the state yourself, then you must pay the California sales tax for the previledge of using ther public roads. You will be issued a $20 one way pass to get you home and to your DMV.

I opted to pay the CA sales tax at 8.625% vs NV sales tax at 8.1%.

I didn't want to pay for a hauler and I didn't want someone else putting the first 800 miles on my car while I sat shotgun in a trailing vehicle with the uncomfortable silence between the sales manager and I.

But it was made very clear to me that I had to leave immediately and that I was to take the most direct route out of the state. No lolly gagging and doing side trips to the beaches of LA.

They were very adamant about the date that was put on my one way permit...preferring a sooner date. To appease them, I left for the scorching desert I call home the next day on a Friday, leaving the weekend filled sunny beaches of So. Cal for another day.

Once home, I went to my DMV and was given a moving permit that allowed me to drive the car to my insurance agent for pictures and to be placed on my policy. I then registered the car as normal...and did not have to pay sales tax again. Thankfully.

Yep
Holy Mary, Mother of Pearl! And I thought New York tax laws were complex!

Old 08-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Holy Mary, Mother of Pearl! And I thought New York tax laws were complex!
No, it's just laws to discourage people from buying cars in ways that reduce tax revenue. Every state wants people to buy cars in-state to satisfy their tax people and car dealer's associations.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:08 PM
I'd go by this. Is do all these extra fees still make the car a better deal than what you can find locally? If yes the who cares. Ask the dealership about this. Good luck getting the car we all love 😍.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
I live in IL and bought two Toyotas from a dealer in MD four years apart. I had to pay $20 for a temp MD plate each time that was good for 30 days (don't quote me on the time period, might have been more). I rode on those temp plates for weeks before registering the car in IL, where I paid the normal plate fee plus IL state sales tax. I paid the no dealer fee at all for the first car because it was a cash deal; on the second car I paid $99 because I financed through Toyota at zero percent.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Also FYI, cars built for California have entirely different emissions. Maybe doesn't apply to the Fit but im not sure.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit I recently purchased in New York has 50 State Emissions. This not being a huge volume car, I would bet that in North America we all get to have California Emissions.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by eyembroke
Also FYI, cars built for California have entirely different emissions. Maybe doesn't apply to the Fit but im not sure.
This applied in the Olde Dayes, but most cars now are 50 state cars.

49-state cars can be brought into California, but only as used cars with more than (IIRC) 15K miles on the clock

Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Namae Kana
The NV dealers don't have as many Fits to choose from as California does. So If I live in Reno NV and buy a Fit in Sacramento CA which sales tax do I pay?

My cheap-a step father bought my sister a car in GA and registered it in TN. Car was cheaper in GA but the sales tax in TN is higher. He probably fibbed about the GA price to boot. If you buy in CA and register in NV, you'll probably pay NV sales tax.