3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Happy to be getting a Fit! but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by richlee
I.....99% sure I'm getting the Mazda 3 Sport........the Fit just doesn't make sense anymore. ...So please someone, talk me out of the Mazda!
Things working for the Mazda 3:
- timing (available immediately)
- cost (massive discounts being 2014)
- not a sub-compact (a class higher)
- looks sportier and drives better

Putting everything down on paper shows the facts. Now its time to look within (the unquantifiable aspects). Being 99% convinced, the only thing left are your emotions. Search your soul and it will tell you to go for the FIT!

Good luck!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by richlee
I promised myself I'll wait until this week, but I just can't wait anymore. I went back to the Mazda dealer last night and I'm 99% sure I'm getting the Mazda 3 Sport. I really want the Fit for its huge cargo capacity and its seating flexibility.

But the Mazda is so fun to drive, with a great interior, as well as really good mileage for a compact car. Granted the Fit still beats it out on hauling capacity and mileage, but the Mazda is not all that bad and actually beats out most other competitors.

Also, I'm frankly very concerned about some of the problems and quality issues that are mentioned in this forum. Granted, we are only hearing about the bad and the majority of the owners who have no issues we don't hear about, but man, I don't think I want to risk having to deal with QA issues and warranty repairs. I had my share of that in the past when I owned a '99 Jetta and was at the dealers every other week for something.

Lastly, with only 3 Honda dealers in the area, Fits are hard to come by, with only a handful being shipped each time. So this means you have to pay sticker since there's high demand and low supply. With the Mazda 3 being a 2014, I'm able to talk down the price for pretty much the same price as the Fit I want. In looking at what I'm getting with the Mazda, and for the same price, the Fit just doesn't make sense anymore.

So please someone, talk me out of the Mazda!
They are both class leading cars to be honest, i don't think you would be unhappy with either choice. My dad has a mazda3 and he likes it a lot. I found it to be very rough driving but that is my only complaint, and it's due for a a refresh pretty soon (BM model was 2013 I believe) so it's a few years behind in tech.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Nothing wrong with the Mazda, but I really love my SpongeBob SquareCar. I have had zero quality issues. Everything is as advertised, car is fun to drive even in Econ mode. Got 40.8 mpg on my road trip with AC on. And it comes in Yellow and fits tons of stuff. And Grandmother who is 96 could get in and out of back seat comfortably.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
My wife purchased a Mazda CX-5 Touring one month before we purchased our daughter the 2015 EX Fit. It still upsets my wife that for less money, my daughter got the sunroof (which my wife does not have), and the clever lane watch (the Mazda Touring came with a lane alert light and buzzer). They both have backup camera and push button start, but in all honesty, I think my wife wishes she had the Fit rather than the Mazda (doubt she would ever admit that, but I catch her sitting in our daughters car whenever she comes home).

I realize your looking at the Mazda 3, and not the CX-5, but you should really take into consideration the new Mazda 3 is being introduced in 2015, which will lower your resale value somewhat.

If it was me, I would wait for the Fit, and i would expand my Honda dealer search beyond your local dealers. Here in Nashville, we have access to 3 or 4 dealers, and they all currently have fit's on the lot. And if you look beyond the local options, say within a 200 mile radius, the plate is full. You just need to be willing to expand your search area.

When we were searching (back when the Fit was extremely rare), we had a DAILY DEALER CALL LIST. We picked up ours from a dealer about 2 hours outside Nashville, because we called them that morning, and they just happened to have a delivery truck on the lot with the color we wanted. That night, we drove out and purchased the car. The rest is history.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 AM
I was vacillating between the Mazda 3 and the Fit too, mostly because of availability. There were a lot of things I liked about the 3, but when it came down to it, the cargo space, Magic Seats, and price won out for me (and I guess I also put a tick mark in the Fit's 'pros' column because I was coming from another Fit). I never really had issues with the driveability of my previous Fit, and I found it to be a fun little thing to pack to the hilt and take on road trips. The Mazda is more refined overall, but I HATE the infotainment system, not that the Fit's is so great, but at least it's not sitting up over the top of the dash.

In the end, even though I had to pay sticker and play games with one of the sh*ttiest dealerships I've ever visited, the Fit met my needs best.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I finally got it! Omg it's so fun to drive! I just wish the fit along with other Hondas had better looking wheels. Even though I have the lx with steelies, I also wish it came with better tires. There's barely any front grip.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
It' your money, so I have no interest either way. I will tell you I have a '14 Mazda 6 GT, Japanese build, and it has NOT been bulletproof. The 3 is not significantly different in that regard (both the 2.0L and 2.5L).

Two different types of cars, the Fit and the 3. I can tell you the Honda will hold more resale value, if that is of any importance to you.

If you want the Fit bad enough, get on cars.com, set your search for 150-250 mile radius, work the deal out over the internet (not the phone), and take a road trip. Make sure the car is physically there. Leave a phone credit card deposit $500 to secure the unit once you have a written deal on the road. You said no trade to complicate matters. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:27 PM
No Fit for Me (At least for now...)

So the deeds been done. I've signed for a 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GS. Between the Fit and the 3, this was probably one of the hardest car buying decisions I have ever had to make! What it came down to is the fact that there is not much bargaining power for the Fit. I've gone to all 3 dealers in the city, and none will sell below MSRP. They have all pretty much told me that shipments are so small, there is just no way they will sell for less. I can try looking out to the next city about 150 miles away, but I'm almost sure it'll be the same situation. Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, and the MSRP's are about $1200-1500 more then the states, and on top of that another $1500 freight/prep fee that is mandatory. Throw in another $600 for an installed block heater and other small stuff. So in the end out the door I would pay almost $24500 Canadian for an EX automatic. Sticker shock for Americans I'm sure(and I know because I just moved up here from the states about a year ago).

The 3 I'm getting out the door for $23800. And this is coming from a car that MSRPs at almost $26000(with pretty much the same options as the Fit EX). So yea, I just can't pass this up.

Yea, it sucks, I do want the Fit. The 3 is for sure a more sporty and luxurious feeling. And no, it isn't rock solid in reliability as some others have pointed out. But for now, given the fact that I can get the 3 for what I want to spend, its done.

To quote Schwarzenegger, "I'LL BE BACK." Most likely we'll need another vehicle next year. If there are plenty of Fits sitting around the dealer lots, and I keep passing them around town(the last gen ones are very popular here), I will probably be driving one then. Alas for now I bid everyone safe and happy driving.

P.S. I'll still be on here for sure. Need to keep up for when I get mine next year. Besides, Fit owners are super cool and helpful

Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by spaghetina
I was vacillating between the Mazda 3 and the Fit too, mostly because of availability. There were a lot of things I liked about the 3, but when it came down to it, the cargo space, Magic Seats, and price won out for me (and I guess I also put a tick mark in the Fit's 'pros' column because I was coming from another Fit). I never really had issues with the driveability of my previous Fit, and I found it to be a fun little thing to pack to the hilt and take on road trips. The Mazda is more refined overall, but I HATE the infotainment system, not that the Fit's is so great, but at least it's not sitting up over the top of the dash.

In the end, even though I had to pay sticker and play games with one of the sh*ttiest dealerships I've ever visited, the Fit met my needs best.
Agree 100% on everything you said. I'm going for the 3(previous post explains), but man, am I going to miss the practicality of the Fit

As for the 3's tacked on infotainment screen, it definitely looks ghetto! Its not a flip down hide away unit either, so I'm a little concerned about someone thinking its a tablet and breaking in But I have to give it to Mazda for putting it up high, as this allows for a smaller angle of distraction when taking your eyes off the road to look at the screen. But yea, it ain't pretty.