3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

For those with a 6 speed! Few Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:46 AM
For those with a 6 speed! Few Questions.

Hey, brand new 2015 Fit (Manual Tranny) owner.

Anyways I came from a GTI that got lemon lawed. (sucks......but hey extra money in my pocket)

Anyways what are yall shifting at? Im shifting right now at 2.5k or so. The engine feels kinda luggy when u get even slightly above 1k. But it could be just because it's weaker. (like third gear at like 20 mph feels VERY luggy, which is expected but not that much).

Also I find reverse kind of difficult. This isn't my first manual.....but reverse feels like it's REALLY not wanting any slippage at all, im not really sure where to rev it at though. (it's hard not to slip the clutch in reverse as otherwise u'll kind of jet off)

THANKS!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 PM
m_x
Yeah, reverse is not a happy gear. They say shifting into a forward gear before shifting down into reverse will help it go in easier. I don't give any throttle in reverse; just slip the clutch until you're moving enough to let it out completely. Make sure you aren't rolling AT ALL when you shift into reverse because then it REALLY isn't a happy gear.

I usually shift from 1st to 2nd at 4k... I was shifting lower, around 3k, but I was told by a Honda tech to shift higher when I brought it to them about a shutter in second gear. I had another thread about this which I will update.

The rest of the time I will typically shift around 3,500.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Yeah, reverse is not a happy gear. They say shifting into a forward gear before shifting down into reverse will help it go in easier. I don't give any throttle in reverse; just slip the clutch until you're moving enough to let it out completely. Make sure you aren't rolling AT ALL when you shift into reverse because then it REALLY isn't a happy gear.

I usually shift from 1st to 2nd at 4k... I was shifting lower, around 3k, but I was told by a Honda tech to shift higher when I brought it to them about a shutter in second gear. I had another thread about this which I will update.

The rest of the time I will typically shift around 3,500.
Why is 3k too low for second? to where it's lugging?

that seems pretty odd...and that's still higher than most cars.

What about when the cars cold? I assume we need to stay below 3k?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
m_x
I meant rev 1st gear up to 3k, shift to second, and match the RPM at around 1.5k before releasing the clutch. He was saying 1.5k is too low for second, but that was just one tech's opinion, and it was in response to this. It doesn't lug, it accelerates smoothly until about 2k and then causes this little shutter in the power delivery before resuming normal acceleration. It's only for a second and if you hit a bump or forget to look for it you will miss it. He said come into 2nd gear over 2k.

It gets confusing to write/read this stuff haha. I hope some of that was clear...

I can't comment on cold. It's summertime and I'm in Florida so cold is 78 degrees.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I mean I guess lugging in any gear would be under idle "technically" probably anyways.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Btw what are yall revving to when going from stop-->1st?

This thing revs up like crazy, I try to keep under 2k (but honestly it doesn't even seem that bad at 2.5k when I accidentally rev it up). Anything under 1.25k or so it feels like it's getting close to stalling.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
m_x
Sorry I'm you're only source of info because I hardly know anything...

Stop -> 1st, I rev to 1.5k and let the clutch out slowly. I try to not slip it too much, but I think you have to let it slip a little in first. I had the same problem accidentally revving the engine up over 2k when I first got it. It seemed like a light tap would rev to 3k if I wasn't careful. After a few days though, you'll be a pro.

I've only stalled it twice and one of the times was in reverse :/

Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM
The reverse gear does scare me, in my GTI you had to push DOWN then go left to go into reverse, the reverse gear is very close to 6th....I feel like it's an accident waiting to happen.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mercfh
The reverse gear does scare me, in my GTI you had to push DOWN then go left to go into reverse, the reverse gear is very close to 6th....I feel like it's an accident waiting to happen.
There is a gate that locks you out of reverse when the car is moving to prevent you from accidentally shifting into 6th.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
There is a gate that locks you out of reverse when the car is moving to prevent you from accidentally shifting into 6th.
I hope it's a strong gate....since if you were going through the gears with some force...you might be able to go through the gate I assume. then BOOM lol

Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 PM
m_x
Nah, don't worry about breaking the lockout gate. That's what it's designed for. Beware though, I think the manual said the reverse lockout is only active above 10mph, so it's possible to do it at low speed. Though if you're trying to shift into 6th at 10mph, and you accidentally go into R, you're doing it ALL wrong.

Not sure what an accidental shift into reverse would look like at highway speed, but it must be spectacular.

Also remember, don't be in motion at all when shifting into reverse or it will grind and you can damage it. My driveway is at a slight angle and if I'm just rolling backwards and try to shift into R, Fit get's upset. There's a note about this on the same page of the manual as the lockout.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Nah, don't worry about breaking the lockout gate. That's what it's designed for. Beware though, I think the manual said the reverse lockout is only active above 10mph, so it's possible to do it at low speed. Though if you're trying to shift into 6th at 10mph, and you accidentally go into R, you're doing it ALL wrong.

Not sure what an accidental shift into reverse would look like at highway speed, but it must be spectacular.

Also remember, don't be in motion at all when shifting into reverse or it will grind and you can damage it. My driveway is at a slight angle and if I'm just rolling backwards and try to shift into R, Fit get's upset. There's a note about this on the same page of the manual as the lockout.
Ah yeah.....can't imagine going into 6th under 10mph. it would almost certainly stall.

That being said....what is a lockout exactly (mechanically?) Wondering if it's something with enough strength you could get through.

For instance my old GTI had a lockout for first gear, but I accidentally went into first at 20mph (everything was fine), but damn did those rpm's shoot up.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi, all. New to Fit. Just got a 2015 EX, 6sp. So far, very pleased!

In our area, we have quite a mix of road types.

Getting on the interstate, I wring it out to keep from getting run over! I don't redline, but I don't mind taking it to 6k.

In stop-and-go, it really depends on the traffic. I usually shift in the 3's unless I really gotta go!! I'm getting used to the blue/green halo. Especially on hills, you've got to rev you're way to the top. You're not going to get there on torque!

On rural roads that are relatively flat, I've found sixth to be quite sufficient (~40-55mph). I try to get to high gear as quick as I can without lugging. This is where I am seeing best mileage. I can get 41mpg in this area. Only getting about 37mpg on highway at 70mph. Stop and go in city can push as low as 32mpg.