3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Safety rating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Safety rating

EDIT: Rats. This has already been posted twice. If I can find how to delete this post, I will do it. Otherwise please ignore...

I don't see this mentioned a whole lot, but prior year(s) models did have somewhat low safety ratings -- which was what deterred me from buying one last year out of concern for hauling my kid around in it. Here's the update which is in line with what was anticipated:

Honda bolsters Fit to boost crash resistance When the subcompact Fit failed a crash test, Honda went back to the drawing board.

The tiny Fit, redesigned for the 2015 model year, initially flunked the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s small overlap test, earning just a “Marginal” rating. The test simulates a 40 mph crash between the front corner of a car and an object such as a utility pole.

Honda engineers strengthened the welds on the front bumper beams, so energy from a crash would be spread over the entire front of the car. This gave the driver and passengers more protection and lessened the likelihood of injury.

The change got the Fit an “Acceptable” rating in a second test, and earned it a “Top Safety Pick” designation.

Last edited by chrisjones; 08-22-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
The bumper upgrade was installed in Fits made from June 2014 onward. Honda will upgrade the bumper on those cars made prior to that time. Retrofits will begin in late Sept. This is what I have read elsewhere on the web. My fit was made in June, so I am unclear whether it has the more robust bumper, or not. Sigh. Nice of Honda to offer the upgrade since they were under no obligation to do so.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
"Marginal" does not equal "flunked". Great journalism.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by exl500
"Marginal" does not equal "flunked". Great journalism.
It doesn't equal "good" either, and Honda promised "top ratings" for the '15 when the '13 did poorly on the test. People bought cars on the basis of that promise and Honda didn't deliver.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
It doesn't equal "good" either, and Honda promised "top ratings" for the '15 when the '13 did poorly on the test. People bought cars on the basis of that promise and Honda didn't deliver.
So now one must ask George, if you are not likely to purchase one of these vehicles why continue to hang out here? Doing good deeds trying to save everyone or just wanting to spew hate. You obviously are not happy with the ratings, perhaps you should by a GM, they are quite responsive to bad engineering a decade later. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
For those of you worried about carrying children in your cars with this 'Acceptable' or even a marginal rating....the small overlap offset test doesn't impact those in the back seat.

Thus, ANY Fit sold in the US is still a very safe car.

And the new Fit is a top safety pick...so to say Honda didn't deliver on its promise of 'top ratings' is false.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
So now one must ask George, if you are not likely to purchase one of these vehicles why continue to hang out here? Doing good deeds trying to save everyone or just wanting to spew hate. You obviously are not happy with the ratings, perhaps you should by a GM, they are quite responsive to bad engineering a decade later. Inquiring minds want to know.
I didn't know that it was a requirement of the FF forum for us to hold hands and sing the praises of Honda at all times! I thought that this was a venue to discuss all aspects of Fit vehicles, including the (gasp!) less desirable ones.

I have a lot of vehicles that are less safe than a Fit and I'm still likely to buy one because it best meets my family's needs. That doesn't mean that I have to be happy at Honda's playing with words and reduced engineering standards. I grew up in the Sochiro era and remember when they produced products that were head-and-shoulders above the competition, not just equal or marginally better.