3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fits in car entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:37 PM
2015 Fits in car entertainment

In a word disappointing. Touch screen only with software interface that would be right at home on a Macintosh computer. Speaking of Apple the unit really doesn't support anything but Apple iPhones. I know you can Bluetooth Android devices but they are so neutered they are basically useless. Not that it makes a difference as the Apple led stuff basically sucks as well.
The nav app would be a joke if it were free, at $59.95 it's a complete farce.
Add to that you have to buy $100 in cables to use the radio for anything worthwhile related to said iPhone. Then Honda is tripping over itself so badly trying to cover its liability risk you are locked out of everything every 5 seconds then have to look away from the road to unlock the phone for apps to work.
How the hell can you have the display go blank if your iPhone/iPad has a smart cover that shuts that display off. I'm connected by Bluetooth, HDMI and FRACKEN USB CABLE!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see the first accident lawsuit over that....
Finally I can't have Sirius radio without buying top of the line EX-L Navi trim.... Really??? Come on now offer the ability to add Sirius as a accessory and you will make million$$$...
Honestly disappointed in Hondas half hearted attempt at in car entertainment....

Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 PM
This is a subcompact car with MSRP under $20K. They cram a ton of tech in it that other subcompacts cannot match price for price. Some compacts come close, but Honda has dollar for dollar the most features per trim compared to the rest. As for the touchscreen, it's understandable that the car company does not want you fiddling around with your phone while driving. It's a leading cause of accidents these days and what business needs all that extra liability. It's also understandable that iphone got the priority in software dev--it's still one of the most popular smartphones on the market and car companies are simply not used to or properly staffed for mobile phone development--they are car companies first and I'd rather have them focus on making a safe, reliable car than worry about Android compatibility (which Honda confirms is coming by the way). Sirius is a separate paid subscription service that is justifiably not offered on the low trims. If you want it standard, you'll have to look elsewhere or else pay the premium.

And finally, it's a cheap, subcompact car.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 PM
How safe is it for someone to have to look at their phone and reaccept the terms and conditions after every call. Or if your iPad screen goes dark to save battery power....
Sirius is a standard feature on a friggin $15k Hyundai Accent for Pete's sake.
Your saying they couldn't offer it as an add on for more $$? I would pay $300-$400 to add Sirius capability to my factory radio. Bet a lot of other people would to...
I refuse to accept the " it's a cheap subcompact" excuse for the horrible user interface. Honda half assed it and didn't try to do it right from the start.
Sad part is I work for Honda and love the Fit for its reliability, practicality, looks and more.....

Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
The HondaLink touchscreen is one of the worst parts about this overall great car. I agree with all the complaints. It could be much better.

A touch slider volume control that requires you to take your hands AND EYES off the road to use? Really? Who's bright idea was that? Thank god for the steering wheel buttons.

If only we had Android Auto...

Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't like the touch screen much, its slow, not exactly intuitive, and is a finger print magnet. But I don't mind the volume control. I tap at it then I swipe any where on the screen up or down, or even where the volume and menu touch buttons are, and it'll adjust the volume. I do most of the radio controls on the steering wheel anyway.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM
I can't tell by looking at the info on the Honda website - can you control the volume from the steering wheel also? Via a tangible button, as opposed to that godawful touchscreen slider knob? Or is that not what the steering wheel controls allow you to do?

I need to test-drive/see one in person, but that alone might compel me to just go for the LX as I pretty much adjust the volume constantly based on what I'm listening to, where I'm at, who's in the car with me. The higher MPG, increased headroom w/o sunroof and notion of having fewer expensive electronic components to break later on also has me leaning LX...

Last edited by LoRezSkyline; 08-14-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 PM
The steering wheel stereo controls are fine. Volume up and down. Next and Previous which change radio preset or song track. I use the next button to advance to the next song when my phone is paired with bluetooth.

Center button changes cycles through all active audio sources, for example you can switch from FM to bluetooth.

You can do all of this without taking your eyes off the road.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
I wish there was a button to cycle through folders too. Shame that the right controls are only for cruise control stuff. Its not like I use cruise control much.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by LoRezSkyline
I can't tell by looking at the info on the Honda website - can you control the volume from the steering wheel also? Via a tangible button, as opposed to that godawful touchscreen slider knob? Or is that not what the steering wheel controls allow you to do?

I need to test-drive/see one in person, but that alone might compel me to just go for the LX as I pretty much adjust the volume constantly based on what I'm listening to, where I'm at, who's in the car with me. The higher MPG, increased headroom w/o sunroof and notion of having fewer expensive electronic components to break later on also has me leaning LX...
If your worried about headroom in the Fit you must be Patrick Ewing tall....lol

Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
If your worried about headroom in the Fit you must be Patrick Ewing tall....lol
I have an EX (with moonroof, obviously) -- 6'7" and nowhere close to needing more headroom. That has never been a problem. Wouldn't mind a few more inches of legroom but no headroom problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Been thinking about an aftermarket radio, the big holdup so far is the dash kit, found this one so far but doesnt exactly match the one currently in. anyone ever used one of these from this place?

http://www.spiralinstallations.com/i...roduct_id=2143

Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
The HondaLink touchscreen is one of the worst parts about this overall great car. I agree with all the complaints. It could be much better.

A touch slider volume control that requires you to take your hands AND EYES off the road to use? Really? Who's bright idea was that? Thank god for the steering wheel buttons.

If only we had Android Auto...
Agreed

My biggest dissapointment.

Not really sure who the target is. It's too baffling for the older folk and to cumbersome for the young ones. Seems like the purpose was just to have a touchscreen.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Weird, I think it works pretty well. I have an i phone 5S, I usually listen to Pandora. Once or twice a week it asks for permission to interact with the Honda which is dumb, if I ok'd it the first few times it's ok. I have never had any issue with calls. My Fit EV never recognized my 5S which was disappointing, worked great with the 4S.

I read too many bad reviews on the NAV app to fall for that, -Honda fix it please. I had NAV with the EV and it was ok once you got the address in , but it was not as intuitive as I would've liked so I did not get it in my current Fit.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Well, I'm a luddite that only uses the radio and occasionally a CD. I wish that Honda had a DX model that got rid of the bells and whistles. Reading the forum, that would also eliminate a lot of problems that people are having with their new Fits!

I'm buying a car, not an entertainment cocoon!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
I wish there was a button to cycle through folders too. Shame that the right controls are only for cruise control stuff. Its not like I use cruise control much.
Press and hold the left and right steering wheel buttons to go forward/back through folders.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Well, I'm a luddite that only uses the radio and occasionally a CD. I wish that Honda had a DX model that got rid of the bells and whistles. Reading the forum, that would also eliminate a lot of problems that people are having with their new Fits!

I'm buying a car, not an entertainment cocoon!

Canada has the DX model. Has some bells and whistles, but nothing like the LX +. CD/radio/blue tooth/USB. Don't know if it has anything else yet. Excellent for luddites!!

Old 11-27-2014, 11:11 AM
I have to agree. The EX-L head unit does have a lot of features, but they are poorly executed.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lasersocks
I have to agree. The EX-L head unit does have a lot of features, but they are poorly executed.
Like the center armrest?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:20 PM
for the problem where your screen blacks out every 5 seconds and you have to keep re-entering your password for your phone.....try a setting on your phone that eliminates auto-lock. Think about it, if your phone automatically locks itself...since it is connected through the HDMI, the screen on the infotainment will dim with the phone.

my 5s works like a charm in my 2015 Fit......try playing with the settings. I wasnt a fan of it at first either, but once I read the owners manual everything works perfectly.

talk about third world problems....

Old 11-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Working great for me so far

Had the car for 10 days or so and things are sorting out entertainment wise. I'm keeping an iPod classic in the center console and it works seamlessly. CD/mp3 player as well. As for HondaLink, I was going to take the iPhone koolaid and dump my android but the more I looked into it I think I'll just get a newer android phone with newer software and wait for android auto to come out. Supposedly the in dash unit runs on android software and will be compatible. Those with iPhones should be able to dump the extra cable whenever CarPlay comes out as well. The existing situation with two cables and an iPhone 5 is a patch.

That said, it took my contacts from my old droid phone and the voice commands work well.....so I may just hang on the old phone for awhile.

Quick Reply: 2015 Fits in car entertainment