3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fits in car entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by waterbug100
Canada has the DX model. Has some bells and whistles, but nothing like the LX +. CD/radio/blue tooth/USB. Don't know if it has anything else yet. Excellent for luddites!!
I think Canadian DX model has the same audio head unit as the US market LX. Still with 5" LCD display (because rear view camera is standard). The Canadian LX has the 7" touch-screen just like EX & EX-L.

Well, on EX, we can actually put an vintage analog tube amplifier into the head unit...... sort of

Old 12-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
In a word disappointing. Touch screen only with software interface that would be right at home on a Macintosh computer. Speaking of Apple the unit really doesn't support anything but Apple iPhones. I know you can Bluetooth Android devices but they are so neutered they are basically useless. Not that it makes a difference as the Apple led stuff basically sucks as well.
The nav app would be a joke if it were free, at $59.95 it's a complete farce.
Add to that you have to buy $100 in cables to use the radio for anything worthwhile related to said iPhone. Then Honda is tripping over itself so badly trying to cover its liability risk you are locked out of everything every 5 seconds then have to look away from the road to unlock the phone for apps to work.
How the hell can you have the display go blank if your iPhone/iPad has a smart cover that shuts that display off. I'm connected by Bluetooth, HDMI and FRACKEN USB CABLE!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see the first accident lawsuit over that....
Finally I can't have Sirius radio without buying top of the line EX-L Navi trim.... Really??? Come on now offer the ability to add Sirius as a accessory and you will make million$$$...
Honestly disappointed in Hondas half hearted attempt at in car entertainment....
I more or less agree with you. Love my new Fit, but am completely disappointed with HondaLink and this silly touchscreen. I don't understand how anyone could think a touchscreen with no tactile feedback is a good idea for a car. Thank God for the steering wheel controls. For me the only value the screen has is for the backup camera and lane watch.. If it wasn't for those features I'd consider the whole thing completely useless at the moment.

I'm holding out hope that someone finds a way of allowing for HDMI phone mirroring to continue working while the car is moving so that I can mirror my Nav app. If that happens, then I'll be okay with the setup.

I do disagree about the Sirius stuff. I'd much rather have other features (like Lane Watch, Moonroof, foglights, etc..) on the lower end model than Sirius. I really, really do not understand the appeal of Sirius. I had XM way back in the day before the merger and felt it was worth the monthly fee then. But frankly I think post merger it is hardly better than regular FM and with the competition of massive MP3 players and smartphones that can access things like Pandora and Spotify.... I really don't understand why people would pay a monthly fee for this service. I have a Honda Odyssey that came with 30 days of free Sirius. Turned it on a couple of times, found it to be just as awful as I remembered, and never bothered with it again.

For me it was kind of nice to look at the trim levels above my EX and not see anything that I was really interested in. Made for a nice and easy purchase.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Touchscreens are a marketing and cost savings thing and won't be going away anytime soon barring the NHTSA stepping in. People generally associate touch screens with high tech now and Honda doesn't have to print the buttons for every language (or at all).

While going for a test drive you don't get to experience the frustration of a touchscreen in normal use and most people won't even think to touch it at all. Instead they are content to watch the salesperson demonstrate it in the dealer lot.

We can all take solace in the fact that at least it isn't Ford Sync.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by gunm
This is a subcompact car with MSRP under $20K. They cram a ton of tech in it that other subcompacts cannot match price for price. Some compacts come close, but Honda has dollar for dollar the most features per trim compared to the rest. As for the touchscreen, it's understandable that the car company does not want you fiddling around with your phone while driving. It's a leading cause of accidents these days and what business needs all that extra liability. It's also understandable that iphone got the priority in software dev--it's still one of the most popular smartphones on the market and car companies are simply not used to or properly staffed for mobile phone development--they are car companies first and I'd rather have them focus on making a safe, reliable car than worry about Android compatibility (which Honda confirms is coming by the way). Sirius is a separate paid subscription service that is justifiably not offered on the low trims. If you want it standard, you'll have to look elsewhere or else pay the premium.

And finally, it's a cheap, subcompact car.
The system is sketchy on android. I ordered an iphone 6. So I am interested to see if the iphone improves on operation. As for the phone control. Ugh. My 2012 fiat had an easier to use bluetooth phone voice recognition. first try was all that was needed, simple and effective. I'm having trouble with the fit accepting voice commands. Another thing, the steering wheel controls are not good either. Honda should have an instant mute button on the wheel. Quite often I used the mute button on the Fiat. I wish the Fiat had a steering wheel mute button.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
update?

Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
In a word disappointing. Touch screen only with software interface that would be right at home on a Macintosh computer. Speaking of Apple the unit really doesn't support anything but Apple iPhones. I know you can Bluetooth Android devices but they are so neutered they are basically useless. Not that it makes a difference as the Apple led stuff basically sucks as well.
The nav app would be a joke if it were free, at $59.95 it's a complete farce.
Add to that you have to buy $100 in cables to use the radio for anything worthwhile related to said iPhone. Then Honda is tripping over itself so badly trying to cover its liability risk you are locked out of everything every 5 seconds then have to look away from the road to unlock the phone for apps to work.
How the hell can you have the display go blank if your iPhone/iPad has a smart cover that shuts that display off. I'm connected by Bluetooth, HDMI and FRACKEN USB CABLE!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see the first accident lawsuit over that....
Finally I can't have Sirius radio without buying top of the line EX-L Navi trim.... Really??? Come on now offer the ability to add Sirius as a accessory and you will make million$$$...
Honestly disappointed in Hondas half hearted attempt at in car entertainment....
Would it not be glorious if Honda issued a software update to fix the somewhat sketchy entertainment head unit. After a year or so, giving manufacturers time to create something, I might just replace the dang thing.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 AM
I wish there was a way to collapse folders when browsing music. I think I might have to just buy a stack of low capacity flashdrives and label them accordingly. I have a couple hundred folders total, and maybe 10 folders in the root drive. I still support the need for playlist file support.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by troyinpdx
The system is sketchy on android. I ordered an iphone 6...
Wise move. I recently switched from Android to iPhone. The iPhone works so much better with this car and gives you the power of Siri Eyes-free from the steering wheel button. This was my experience:

Android 4.4
  • I could answer/decline calls with the steering wheel button, unless Bluetooth handset glitched out and disconnected
  • If I got my phone out of my pocket, I could bring up music and it would play through the stereo on Bluetooth source, unless Bluetooth audio glitched out and disconnected

iOS 8
  • Never any issues with Bluetooth calls or audio. It always reconnects when I turn the car on.
  • Plugging in a USB cable gives you higher quality audio than Bluetooth, charges the phone, and displays playlists on the touchscreen. Does not interfere with simultaneous Bluetooth calls and Siri Eyes-free. Your music plays over both the Bluetooth and iPod source in this case, you can plug in the USB cable mid-song and just switch the input to get crisper audio or if you are just looking to charge and don't care about switching to crisper audio, the song will continue to play over Bluetooth.
  • Siri Eyes-Free is super useful for texting eyes-free and asking Siri to play any song THIS IS A BIG WIN
  • Your car gets better when your phone gets better. Did you get a faster iPhone or faster cellular connection? Now your car's Siri button is more responsive. Did an iOS update enhance Siri? Now your steering wheel button does more stuff. New apps or app updates may also enhance your car experience. Non-iPhone owners are forever stuck with Hondalink.
  • I can leave my iPhone in my pocket. With Android I have to get my phone out to select music because Google Now voice commands are not accesible from the steering wheel/Hondalink.

Here are some Siri Eyes-Free commands I use on a regular basis. Any iPhone user can do this by holding the bottom left button on the steering wheel (below end call).
  • Read my messages/notifications
  • Tell my wife I'll be home in 10 minutes
  • Play song/playlist/album/artist ...

Last edited by simonx314; 12-10-2014 at 10:47 AM.