3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Headrests in front are flippable

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Headrests in front are flippable

Hi all,

Not sure about anyone else here, but i like to sit at an almost upright 90 degree angle when driving. I didn't like how the headrests point forward, touching your head and making you look downward. Felt very awkward and uncomfortable to me. So, i tried flipping them, and it works. I can sit upright and not have the headrest touch my head at all now. But it is still there in case of an accident.

Just thought i'd share.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah I discovered that right after purchase but find if I turn it to the rear I have to tilt my head to far back to make it useful for my purposes but it is a cool feature that can suit either or!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM
I think that's true for most cars that have adjustable headrests... in my 01 Civic I did it by accident after using it in "long mode".

In my moms Subaru outback, you have to pay attention to distinguish the front seat headrest vs the rear seat headrests... Pulled them all out for moving duty...

I think it's the current style Mustang where you can adjust the fore/aft position of the headrest, wish more cars had that. I'm the opposite of the OP, I prefer the headrest to be RIGHT behind my head in case I get hit from behind.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Do you take them totally out, turn them around, and put them back in? Or just flip the top piece while attached?

It's too hot at the moment to go downstairs and try it myself.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
Do you take them totally out, turn them around, and put them back in? Or just flip the top piece while attached?

It's too hot at the moment to go downstairs and try it myself.
Recline the chair, pull the entire headrest out, flip it around, and put it back in

Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Recline the chair, pull the entire headrest out, flip it around, and put it back in
do you need to recline the seat to do this?- isn't there a little plastic button that you can push to remove the headrest? that's how I remove mine on my 2010 fit.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
headrest

There's not enough room between the top of the headrest and the roof to get it out unless you recline the seat. It'll be obvious when you try it.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM
When the headrest is flipped around, do the little sawtooth latches hold it, or are they on the wrong side as they are on the GE8? It might not make too much of a difference, I suppose, if there's enough friction to hold the height adjustment in place.

(On the GE8, the headrests backwards are way too far back to be of much use in an accident, and them frontwards are a good bit too far forwards for comfort. I've kind of gotten used to it after a couple of years...but it's still not good, IMHO.)

Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Flipping the headrest feels way more comfortable for me - thanks for the tip! But does anyone know whether it provides the same protection in case of an accident?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LSWall
Flipping the headrest feels way more comfortable for me - thanks for the tip! But does anyone know whether it provides the same protection in case of an accident?
Found this interesting:

New Car Headrests (Head Restraints) Designed Too Far Forward | YogaBack

What is the Proper Headrest Position for your Car Seat? | AdvanceUC.com

Old 09-12-2014, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Hi all,

Not sure about anyone else here, but i like to sit at an almost upright 90 degree angle when driving. I didn't like how the headrests point forward, touching your head and making you look downward. Felt very awkward and uncomfortable to me. So, i tried flipping them, and it works. I can sit upright and not have the headrest touch my head at all now. But it is still there in case of an accident.

Just thought i'd share.
They are NOT headrests. They are head restraints in case of an accident to prevent injuries from whiplash.

By turning them around you may be defeating their primary purpose in preventing head/neck injuries.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:33 AM
Ha, I thought the dealership put mine in backwards... so I turned them around.
Can't stand trying to drive with my head forced to tilt forward.
Really, does anyone find that bearable let alone comfortable?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bon Bon
Maybe they did.

You should have a distance of 2.2 inches or less from the back of the your head. With them turned around do you meet this requirement?

If not then you are opening up yourself to a possible whiplash injury in a rear-end collision.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Thatz a yes! Thanks for info.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Really, does anyone find that bearable let alone comfortable?

Why dont folks just raise the head restraint so it isnt hitting your head while driving (rather them flipping it around rendering it useless)?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fox944
Why dont folks just raise the head restraint so it isnt hitting your head while driving (rather them flipping it around rendering it useless)?
Probably because they're tall enough that raising it doesn't prevent it from forcing the head into an uncomfortable position. If you're tallish (and perhaps also on the slender side) and like the seat back not too much reclined, no headrest height is really good—some are worse than others, but all force a somewhat unnatural position.