3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Camera bug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Camera bug?

Something really odd happened yesterday. Some times I use the backup camera with the angle that shows the ground to see if I've pulled in far enough into the garage. Well, lately I've noticed that sometimes the Lane Change camera shows me that view instead of the lane change view.

Has anyone else seen that happen?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM
I have not experienced that yet. Sounds like an electronic bug.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM
It went away after I pulled into a parking lot then backed out, backup camera in normal mode.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen this and the reverse sprinkled in other threads. It happened to me once briefly.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I posted a YouTube video of it happening to me. Watch the first 10 seconds of this video. I tweeted the video to Honda_Customer_Svc which got their attention. It only happened that one time and I use the LaneWatch feature every time I drive.

Last edited by simonx314; 07-30-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Honda wants to replace my entire touchscreen headunit because the LaneWatch glitch occurred that one time.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by simonx314
Honda wants to replace my entire touchscreen headunit because the LaneWatch glitch occurred that one time.
Wow! Who do I contact there? Any idea? Today it was going absolutely bonkers and nothing could get it back. It even seemed to reboot the computer when I stopped and restarted the car. At one point the entire screen was dark.

Ha! I rebooted my car. ;-)

BTW: Got the exact same result too. It went black after awhile.

Last edited by Zute; 07-31-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Well, I tweeted, but all they said was take it to the dealership.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Same thing has happened to me a couple of times. Did it the second day I had it. Then yesterday it would show the rear camera for awhile... then it started to just be black... this morning we are fine again.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Wow! Honda America called me and we talked about it. They're awesome! What customer service. Anyway, they're going to call the dealer where I'm going to take it on MOnday and discuss how to fix it.

Actually, they're ordering a part first. simonx314, did you get yours fixed?

Last edited by Zute; 08-04-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM
This happened to me again today. I think I figured out why. Both times it happened when I did the same thing. I started the car and put it in reverse right away, before the stereo had time to boot up. When the back up camera came up the guidelines were not on the screen. Then when I put the right blinker on the lane watch was black. It also didn't work when I pressed the lane watch button.

What I think happened is that the system didn't have time to boot up before I put it in reverse. After I turned the car off and waited a minute then turned it back on and let the system boot up completely it worked fine. If it happens again I'm going to call up the dealer. But, with my luck it will be fine when I bring it in. Luckily, did get video of it the first time it happened.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Something like this happened to me, but only ever once.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
I remember driving at night when we first got the car, and when I tried to use the lane watch feature, the screen was black. I was expecting to see the headlights of a car I had just passed.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by SHIBA
This happened to me again today. I think I figured out why. Both times it happened when I did the same thing. I started the car and put it in reverse right away, before the stereo had time to boot up. When the back up camera came up the guidelines were not on the screen. Then when I put the right blinker on the lane watch was black. It also didn't work when I pressed the lane watch button.

What I think happened is that the system didn't have time to boot up before I put it in reverse. After I turned the car off and waited a minute then turned it back on and let the system boot up completely it worked fine. If it happens again I'm going to call up the dealer. But, with my luck it will be fine when I bring it in. Luckily, did get video of it the first time it happened.
I purposely tried to replicate this today and did so. Only think I did different was soon as I started the car and put it in reverse before stereo booted and also pushed the lane watch button. After taking it out of reverse whenever I pushed the lane watch I would get the rear view. I got it to reset after shutting it off and like you said let it sit. Back to normal now. I think it is just an odd glitch by not letting the system boot up. When I first shut it off and tried to restart it still wouldn't reset, the display took several seconds before even coming on and I never got the warning it displays. I tried several times and same thing so I got out of car went and did my errand and came back, then it was fine.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I purposely tried to replicate this today and did so. Only think I did different was soon as I started the car and put it in reverse before stereo booted and also pushed the lane watch button. After taking it out of reverse whenever I pushed the lane watch I would get the rear view. I got it to reset after shutting it off and like you said let it sit. Back to normal now. I think it is just an odd glitch by not letting the system boot up. When I first shut it off and tried to restart it still wouldn't reset, the display took several seconds before even coming on and I never got the warning it displays. I tried several times and same thing so I got out of car went and did my errand and came back, then it was fine.
I was able to replicate the issue of lane watch not coming on for several seconds by starting in reverse.... sounds related.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 PM
I've had the exact same issues with the lane watch camera as described above (it shows the backup camera angle then eventually goes to black). I've been working with my dealer and, after contacting the support hotline, they got back to me today with an answer. It seems there is a glitch with the audio system that causes camera issue and as a result they want to replace the entire unit. This would seem to support what you guys are saying with regards to problems arising when the stereo doesn't fully boot up before putting the car in reverse.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by Steve35
I've had the exact same issues with the lane watch camera as described above (it shows the backup camera angle then eventually goes to black). I've been working with my dealer and, after contacting the support hotline, they got back to me today with an answer. It seems there is a glitch with the audio system that causes camera issue and as a result they want to replace the entire unit. This would seem to support what you guys are saying with regards to problems arising when the stereo doesn't fully boot up before putting the car in reverse.
With it becoming such an issue with several cars not sure replacing the unit will be the fix.will be interesting to see. I would get the unit to do it while there and let them see before you waste time waiting on it to be replaced.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
With it becoming such an issue with several cars not sure replacing the unit will be the fix.will be interesting to see. I would get the unit to do it while there and let them see before you waste time waiting on it to be replaced.
What dealer is that? I called three local dealers, and only one could find anything about it. He said that Honda has a chart to work through to isolate the problem. having the name of a dealer that knows something about it would be helpful.

Maybe the "problem" is putting it into reverse before the system boots.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
What dealer is that? I called three local dealers, and only one could find anything about it. He said that Honda has a chart to work through to isolate the problem. Having the name of a dealer that knows something about it would be helpful.

Maybe the "problem" is putting it into reverse before the system boots.

Quick Reply: Camera bug?